Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

lindawdw

Just found your TR which I totally enjoyed reading as usual! It's so sweet how you and Em love traveling to WDW together so often! We stayed at CC at WL last October and really enjoyed our pool time at the new Boulder Ridge pool. It is pretty annoying when the kiddos have the main pool to splash around in and make noise but choose what we consider the "quiet pool".:rolleyes: Those rain clouds looked pretty daunting during your trip but at least you were able to avoid getting soaked! I think the redesign of Artist Point looks so nice but I'm not impressed with the menu, and after reading your review (with the exception of the prime rib), I won't be dining there until the menu changes. I'm sad that this is your last day of your trip but hopefully you have another WDW on the horizon for us to read about!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
When we’d passed Toy Story Mania on our way to Saucers the posted wait was 20 minutes. It was now 30, but considering it was only 9:18 am (time stamp on my picture) we figured the actual wait was probably less and we got in line.

C39451D0-6DC7-4B7F-A658-3EC15C2B17A3.jpeg

I love the background (especially the blue sky!) in this picture.

970D89C8-0B36-437F-8914-D019B269424E.jpeg

Right behind us was a family of 4 ~ dad, mom, preteen daughter and 5 year old son. From the moment they entered the line, the boy began to pitch a fit that he was scared and did not want to ride. His whining ebbed and flowed in intensity. The mom and daughter tried to tell him the ride wasn’t scary, but it was clear he did not believe them. The dad ignored the boy’s pleas, and soon his sister did too.

I was tempted to use my grandma voice in an attempt to reassure him but decided not to. After ten minutes of continuous protesting, the boy was obviously being stubborn and using his tears and whining for attention. It began to grate on our nerves and everyone else’s.

The wait was not 30 minutes after all......it was 40!!! 😡And the boy’s tantrum went on the entire time.

We were tempted to throw a tantrum of our own when we saw that Mr. Potato Head (the best part of waiting standby) was MIA.

69768ADF-8D23-4A79-AA98-F55750B6FFA0.jpeg

However Em in jail made me smile.

85107B07-900E-409C-BC11-A7B8387316AE.jpeg

The extra long wait became more palatable when we were sent to the queue for the third track. A first for us!

0C93BCBE-2FFB-4CA7-B34D-EC7A0BAEEAC4.jpeg

Last edited:

ELeigh

Just caught up but loving the TR so far
Roaring Fork serves “loaded” Mickey waffles ~ chocolate chips, strawberry sauce, Bananas Foster sauce, caramel sauce, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.
I just want to know who eats these things with all of those toppings for breakfast. I am a waffle fan and a major sweet tooth but one sauce is enough.
@ELeigh described this dish better than I could. She called it “an abomination on a plate.” (I recently read her TR and literally LOL at the truth of her words!)
I am glad I am not alone in my opinion. I can't imagine anyone who would enjoy that "appetizer" though. I would take the prime rib anyday though, it's a shame you don't like horseradish because the mashed potatoes were equally amazing.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

Since Em and I were venturing into new territory, pictures of the waiting area for the 3rd Toy Story track were a must.

0DB5ECA6-8531-4A64-9935-30B07A8205D9.jpeg

F076BEA6-A917-421B-AAC2-E506DECA458D.jpeg

FE31AF88-8488-4055-BF12-A3BB576B8A1D.jpeg

C67B5C31-1E5E-44A2-90F6-58646E16B923.jpeg

Em agreed to ride with me again, despite knowing there was a good probability I would be beat her.

742374EB-BDFC-4BBD-AB81-22F45CDC529B.jpeg

I tend to steal my seat mate’s targets. 😜

And I have oddly fast wrist movement during the “It’s Your Last Chance” segment.

1E8AC34C-645B-4338-9707-4A4BA764BF80.jpeg

But I never win on accuracy. Good thing the accuracy score doesn’t show up here ~

26F7E5E9-1A6A-42AC-B21C-679AD7DE862A.jpeg

Had to stop at the Checkerboard Wall.

C9A53545-F031-4796-A33C-AC43B4A41670.jpeg

And the Popsicle Stick Wall.

27FCB766-2CB1-44C8-AB76-14B5FB24573F.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We said farewell to Toy Story Land (for now) and strolled over to Sunset Blvd.

Crowds were still light.

5EEE0434-1DD2-4B9E-BA3F-672BC2C2BEE7.jpeg

(Note the tiny purse responsible for the Saucers shutdown!)

2795B6D3-6B92-40A4-9588-648512B3A562.jpeg

We figured out the reason the crowds were light on Sunset Blvd. Everyone was in line for Tower of Terror. :jawdrop:

A4049994-8403-4C8E-8FFA-F9AF588D3446.jpeg

Two hour and ten minute standby wait?

#ThankfulforFP

We were actually lucky to have gotten a FP since the number of ToT FPs had been reduced due to half the attraction being down for refurbishment. We breezed by the ginormous line and headed for the lobby elevators.

C8EC8FA2-BDB5-4EDD-BCDF-5D93A4500B12.jpeg

AABFD900-2B52-46E7-A8FD-9919C56D48F5.jpeg

Once in the Boiler Room there was no option which way to go. The queue that leads straight ahead was chained off. It was clear which set of elevators were being worked on! 😉

2D464D53-9654-413E-9E37-21F8A5CF0AD7.jpeg

Fortunately there weren’t many people ahead of us waiting for the two remaining elevators. Neither Em nor I was paying close attention at first.....but when several minutes went by and we didn’t move forward, we knew there must be a problem.

Seems the “working” elevators were having technical difficulties.

As we continued to wait, Em passed the time scrolling on her phone.

DE282B4D-CA2C-49E2-B69C-99D3678A3536.jpeg

Five more minutes went by.....then ten. Suddenly all background noise ceased and it was eerily quiet. (Did you know there is ambient noise in the Boiler Room? We’d never noticed until it stopped!)

A nearby CM said the attraction was powering down. A moment later an announcement was made over the PA that the ride was closed, and guests were instructed to turn around and head back the way they came.

Except for the guests in the Boiler Room. We were instructed to have our MagicBands ready to scan and would leave via an emergency exit.

Em and I debated whether this would count as a ride evacuation for us, since we had never made it into an elevator. I said I was claiming it an evac because we had to go through backstage areas.

6FF78AD2-A463-4A77-94EC-5D377094ACED.jpeg

By the time we reached the hotel entrance, the lobby had been cleared and the doors were shut.

9AC80287-E0C5-48AC-BD8B-4C9D3E2502A5.jpeg

We didn’t lose our FP, but we also didn’t gain one for our trouble. We received a Multiple Experience pass when our bands were scanned, essentially replacing the one we’d used to enter ToT.

Of course the Multiple Experience pass was not valid for Toy Story Land.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Since it was right next door, I suggested using the FP at Rock ‘n Rollercoaster.

ADAC6280-71A3-41CD-A67F-60F2B49AD445.jpeg

I would have accompanied Em through the line (I do enjoy the pre-show) but my replacement FP was not in MDE. (It eventually appeared over an hour later. 🤔) Instead I waited for her in the gift store.

“Why are your eyes always closed in the ride photo?” I asked Em.

“Because with contacts it’s IMPOSSIBLE to keep them open!” she snarked at me.

C884A921-3748-406E-BF63-4EA80D8F0895.jpeg

We had a little time to kill before our lunch ADR, but not enough time to actually do something. With most of the gift stores in DHS under refurbishment, shopping wasn’t even an option.

We walked over to Grand Avenue.

98A1DAC2-800E-4D07-973F-BC6DD1B0A1DF.jpeg

D46060A2-A23B-4F82-B457-8138DFEC3A27.jpeg

Last night I remembered that PizzeRizzo....Em’s favorite....was open for lunch. Not knowing when we’d get the chance to dine there again, I proposed getting pizza and then only ordering dessert at our ADR.

She declined the offer.

In hindsight, she should have listened to her mother. 😉

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
On our last May visit, there was a "tantrum teen (!)" at FoP, she was whining loudly and stomping her feet at her parents all through the pre-show. We were all looking at each other in disbelief. In the end, she cursed and stormed out right before our "flight"! We felt sorry for other people's ruined experience, specially those riding for the first, and maybe only time.

I confess that I can't do ToT! Last time I did was about 8 years ago. ToT scares me the most! 😨 The weird thing is that I like looking at people's reactions in photopass pictures! 😅

How does @Tuvalu 's "granny voice" sounds like? :joyfull:

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just found your TR which I totally enjoyed reading as usual! It's so sweet how you and Em love traveling to WDW together so often! We stayed at CC at WL last October and really enjoyed our pool time at the new Boulder Ridge pool. It is pretty annoying when the kiddos have the main pool to splash around in and make noise but choose what we consider the "quiet pool".:rolleyes: Those rain clouds looked pretty daunting during your trip but at least you were able to avoid getting soaked! I think the redesign of Artist Point looks so nice but I'm not impressed with the menu, and after reading your review (with the exception of the prime rib), I won't be dining there until the menu changes. I'm sad that this is your last day of your trip but hopefully you have another WDW on the horizon for us to read about!
Happy to have you along for the summer, @lindawdw (yes there are two more trips to come!)

I just want to know who eats these things with all of those toppings for breakfast. I am a waffle fan and a major sweet tooth but one sauce is enough.

I am glad I am not alone in my opinion. I can't imagine anyone who would enjoy that "appetizer" though. I would take the prime rib anyday though, it's a shame you don't like horseradish because the mashed potatoes were equally amazing.
I like all those waffle toppings ~ individually, not together! And definitely too much for breakfast! :depressed:
Glad to know the mashed potatoes were amazing, as the roasted ones definitely were not.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
If it matters...I will allow it😉
The @Darstarr stamp of approval? Then it definitely was an evac!

On our last May visit, there was a "tantrum teen (!)" at FoP, she was whining loudly and stomping her feet at her parents all through the pre-show. We were all looking at each other in disbelief. In the end, she cursed and stormed out right before our "flight"! We felt sorry for other people's ruined experience, specially those riding for the first, and maybe only time.

I confess that I can't do ToT! Last time I did was about 8 years ago. ToT scares me the most! 😨 The weird thing is that I like looking at people's reactions in photopass pictures! 😅

How does @Tuvalu 's "granny voice" sounds like? :joyfull:
A tantrum teen? :jawdrop: Her parents just should have said, “Leave. We’ll meet you at the exit.” A teen is certainly old enough to 1. Decide whether or not to ride and 2. Wait for the rest of the party unaccompanied.

ToT has never scared me. It can, however, make me queasy with all the up-and-down motion.

My “grandma voice” is calm and reassuring. I make it a point to look the child in the eyes and smile.

aw14

The @Darstarr stamp of approval? Then it definitely was an evac!

A tantrum teen? :jawdrop: Her parents just should have said, “Leave. We’ll meet you at the exit.” A teen is certainly old enough to 1. Decide whether or not to ride and 2. Wait for the rest of the party unaccompanied.

ToT has never scared me. It can, however, make me queasy with all the up-and-down motion.

My “grandma voice” is calm and reassuring. I make it a point to look the child in the eyes and smile.
That would be my response if my 16 year old behaved the way. Take a walk ;)

The only ones that get me queezy are everest and primeval hurl. ;)

lindawdw

Sorry you didn't get to ride TOT. :( We have found in our last few trips this year that it's been going down a lot more! It's a bummer that they've changed the tier level for it come August 29th when Star Wars Land opens. We really love this ride, along with TSMM, so it's going to be a tough choice which one to pick!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm in total agreement with Em! The first time I rode that I didn't quite know what to expect. I had to make a beeline to the bathroom to straighten out my contact that ended up rolling up in the top of my eye!!

I wore contacts for years, and never had the experience you shared above. However, a few years ago, I switched to wearing distance eyeglasses, and I'm always hesitant on RNR Coaster with the inversion. So, like a dork, when I'm on that ride I kinda put my hand in front of my face when the ride tips upside down, just to shield my glasses from flying off!! Haven't figured out if that's even necessary, or if anyone else has lost their eyeglasses on that ride?! ;)

riverside

Premium Member
I wore contacts for years, and never had the experience you shared above. However, a few years ago, I switched to wearing distance eyeglasses, and I'm always hesitant on RNR Coaster with the inversion. So, like a dork, when I'm on that ride I kinda put my hand in front of my face when the ride tips upside down, just to shield my glasses from flying off!! Haven't figured out if that's even necessary, or if anyone else has lost their eyeglasses on that ride?! ;)
My mom would always wear her glasses on there & never had a problem. One time my hoop earring came out during the ride(I'm sure from my head banging off the restraint). I felt it fall out & thought for sure it was gone but when the ride ended there it was, sitting on the floor! Since that day though, I always remember to take out my earrings while I'm in line.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member

🤷🏻‍♀️I took my glasses off and put them in a hard sunglasses case in my purse this year on RnRC. Just can’t bring myself to risk losing them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom