Parks gone to the dogs...

Hcalvert

I understand some being frustrated with "service" dogs that aren't really trained as service dogs, and some of the problems that has caused. I understand being irritated with the abuse of the ADA by some.

But the ignorance and horrid attitudes by some towards those with legitimate needs, towards the animals themselves, and to their presence in the parks and other places is appalling. I pray that several of you don't end up in the positions of those that you are criticizing in your self righteousness.

I have several friends with service dogs for different needs, and the stories they tell me... I've one that has one to detect seizures before they happened (the dog can sense them about 20 minutes before they hit) and to go anywhere without the dog is a terror, and some of the abuse they have received from other people who don't think it's a "real" service dog is ridiculous. But I can see it coming from a few who posted here. Sad.

I was in a situation in the store last week. While looking at the birthday cards, a man with a service animal came over to the display to look too. After reading all the discussion on here regarding service animals, I was suspicious of it being an actual service dog. The dog was lunging toward me, obviously wanting a pet and the man was attempting to get him to sit. I couldn't help but think of uncharitable thoughts until I read the dog's vest. It said something along the lines of "Veteran, Iraqi Freedom." I immediately was ashamed of myself for even questioning the animal in my mind as this man obviously was not at ease with his dog being so friendly and was anticipating a negative reaction from me. He was genuinely surprised when I thanked him for his service, picked out a birthday card, and left without incident. So going along with some things you said as well as others, a lay person does not know the purpose or the need a person may need for a service animal and it definitely was not my place to question it in this situation.

SirWillow

🙄

No one criticizing the abuse of "service dogs"/comfort animals is attacking those with serious disabilities or anyone you personally know.

Maybe you aren't reading the same thread I am.

Obviously they aren't questioning anyone I "personally know." But there are several criticizing any service animals being allowed at all in the parks or other places, and other comments that are rude towards anyone with a service animal that they have decided on their own and without any information other than what they see isn't legitimate. That bothers me. Just because you can't see a serious disability doesn't mean it isn't there.

I used my friend as an example of the someone that several on this thread would have pointed out as being illegitimate. Her service dog is very friendly, but those who aren't familiar with the type of training the dog has had and what it does may not recognize it as a trained service animal. But she's had people- who sound just like some of those commenting on this thread- complain about her dog not being needed because they can't see her disability. And some were very rude.

Just because you don't know a person's issue or why they need the dog doesn't mean that it's not a legitimate service animal.

Animaniac93-98

Just because you don't know a person's issue or why they need the dog doesn't mean that it's not a legitimate service animal.

And at the same time, just because someone has a dog, doesn't mean they need it.

Never questioning is how abuse happens. People think they can get away with it by taking advantage of other's ignorance and good will.

Incomudro

I was in a situation in the store last week. While looking at the birthday cards, a man with a service animal came over to the display to look too. After reading all the discussion on here regarding service animals, I was suspicious of it being an actual service dog. The dog was lunging toward me, obviously wanting a pet and the man was attempting to get him to sit. I couldn't help but think of uncharitable thoughts until I read the dog's vest. It said something along the lines of "Veteran, Iraqi Freedom." I immediately was ashamed of myself for even questioning the animal in my mind as this man obviously was not at ease with his dog being so friendly and was anticipating a negative reaction from me. He was genuinely surprised when I thanked him for his service, picked out a birthday card, and left without incident. So going along with some things you said as well as others, a lay person does not know the purpose or the need a person may need for a service animal and it definitely was not my place to question it in this situation.

Perhaps he should have control over his dog before bringing it in a store.
1) We have no idea if the vest is legitimate.
2) Even if the guy was a veteran of the war in Iraq - that does not mean that he was traumatized and it does not mean that he might not be scamming the system.
3) If he is a veteran and does have PTSD, he STILL needs to be able to control his dog.

Hcalvert

Perhaps he should have control over his dog before bringing it in a store.
1) We have no idea if the vest is legitimate.
2) Even if the guy was a veteran of the war in Iraq - that does not mean that he was traumatized and it does not mean that he might not be scamming the system.
3) If he is a veteran and does have PTSD, he STILL needs to be able to control his dog.
I choose not to be judgemental and outright rude and make a scene. That is my perrogative and not everyone has to make the same choice.

Also, I chose to not mention that this gentleman had a metal prosthetic leg. I looked up the vest and it was legit and these service animals are provided for veterans with PTSD and other reasons. I also know someone who trains service dogs and sometimes the dog just doesn't work out and either needs to be retired or retrained. It could also be owner error. Also, the news story from CBS that I read wrote that some of these dogs were in sevice with the individual and that was why they were chosen to be service animals, so the dog might need more time to acclimate or more training is needed.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I choose not to be judgemental and outright rude and make a scene. That is my perrogative and not everyone has to make the same choice.

Also, I chose to not mention that this gentleman had a metal prosthetic leg. I looked up the vest and it was legit and these service animals are provided for veterans with PTSD and other reasons. I also know someone who trains service dogs and sometimes the dog just doesn't work out and either needs to be retired or retrained. It could also be owner error. Also, the news story from CBS that I read said some of these dogs were in sevice with the individual and that was why they were chosen to be service animals, so the dog might need more time to acclimate or more training needed.

I wouldn't be judgmental and make a scene myself.
I'd likely smile at the dog, and say "hello."
I'm simply pointing out that people can claim to be veterans that aren't - happens all the time.
Veterans can scam the system too.

Rich Brownn

I'm sure she probably found some kind of loophole to declare her poodles as "Support Animals" and has threatened to sue under ADA if cast members don't let them in the parks with her.
"Support Animals" are not covered under ADA, Only trained animals designed to support a specific function/handicap (and yes, the one question you are allowed to ask is "what is the animal trained to do?")

EOD K9

As far as Im concerned you let your pet walk around on that 100 degree plus pavement you are abusing an animal.
When the outside air is around 85 degrees, the ground is roughly 135-140. If someone truly had a service dog, they could also have them wear booties. Some of our teams have the dogs wear them in extreme heat when we have a lot of searching to do.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
When the outside air is around 85 degrees, the ground is roughly 135-140. If someone truly had a service dog, they could also have them wear booties. Some of our teams have the dogs wear them in extreme heat when we have a lot of searching to do.
The whole time we were at WDW from June 8 until the end of the month I think I can count the number of times on one finger that I saw boots on a dog and that dog (some type of dachshund) had them only on the right feet. It did have its little service animal vest and of course its Mickey Ears and shorts.

FettFan

What is with all of these dang dogs in the park? More specifically, the lady with the poodles. Yesterday, security actually "closed" the women's bathroom behind Imagination because she was using it. I'll be damned if I am refused a public bathroom because of someone with a dog. My wife said that people have had run-ins with her and that she's very difficult. Anyone else experienced this madness?

And now she's dead.

The lady with the poodles, that is. Not your wife.

I hope.

draybook

Original Poster
And now she's dead.

The lady with the poodles, that is. Not your wife.

I hope.

Whoa, what? She passed?

Edit: just read about her. Dang, that's sad. Says she had epilepsy and chronic migraines. My mom has the same and that's just terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom