You tear down the Fountain of Nations you might as well remove the Main Street train station

Clamman73

I would just get rid of the stage part since it’s not really utilized and restore the fountain or upgrade, but still get rid of Communicore buildings if they aren’t gonna bother utilizing them like they were when I was a kid.
That area is served well with the sound/and visuals of the fountain in the background to break up the meh of the middle area. Curious to see how much fountain area comes back through the spine part.
If it’s more toward showcase I can see how it will give more of a division b/t showcase and “future world”

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
We’ll agree to disagree.

Although it’s mid 90s contemporary.
The fountain iself isnt dated, if you take away the buildings, add more flower beds, grassland, get rid of that hideous stage and fence that fountain would make a really nice center piece. I think it could use a larger pool with more shape and bigger flower beds around it.

Grumpy06

This should be enough to keep it,
“The Fountain of Nations dates back to the opening day of Epcot where is was dedicated by Walt's widow, Lillian Disney. People from 23 countries brought water from their homelands, which was then poured into the fountain - representing the world community brought together at Epcot.”
Epcot is a one of a kind park like no other in this world, that to should be enough to keep Epcot as it was. Maybe it’s time for Disney to sell it off as a third party park to someone who will restore it to its original glory.

Grumpy06

Very well said it’s a shame that they are going to remove this,I think if more people really new the story behind its origin there would be a bigger uproar over it and maybe they would reconsider

celluloid

It may suck to watch things being taken away but it's not a museum.

It is certainly not a Musuem; most of the world famous ones have exhibits that are well maintained and that can rotate but also be well cared for and enhanced while keeping their meaning. So many Musuems put current Team Disney Orlando to shame.

Seriously, the "not a musuem" argument is crap anymore. You have areas that are still showcasing short films you can watch from home in one area and stagnet attractions that do not recieve proper upkeep in another. Many Musuems earn a profit and are amazing.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can anyone confirm a Pride Pavilion?

Yes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The FoN is very nice. But there is more modern tech for nozzles and lighting.

Also, it's situated, IMO, a very bad place for viewing. Surrounded by Communicore looks nice on paper, but it was clear there was almost no consideration for the people in that plaza to actually watch a fountain show. Almost no seating, a bland concrete wall keeping people away, no slope area for viewing, two choke points on either side. It looks like it was made to be something nice to pass, not to stop and see a fountain show.

It's the same lack of consideration of viewing for I:RoE with stuff happening far away on the surface of a lake.

Same lack of consideration of viewing the gardens at Canada.

The irony of Rivers of Light is that the first time they take real consideration for viewing a big, open attraction by actual human beings is the stadium they build for it, however, the show that everyone can now easily see is unfortunately subpar.

Mickey5150

It is certainly not a Musuem; most of the world famous ones have exhibits that are well maintained and that can rotate but also be well cared for and enhanced while keeping their meaning. So many Musuems put current Team Disney Orlando to shame.

Seriously, the "not a musuem" argument is crap anymore. You have areas that are still showcasing short films you can watch from home in one area and stagnet attractions that do not recieve proper upkeep in another. Many Musuems earn a profit and are amazing.
If Walt was alive he probably would have torn most of it down and rebuilt it hundreds of times. The argument that Disney can't do whatever they want to their parks is crap.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
A reminder. It’s not really hard to achieve this.

For its size I still argue that it’s the greatest fountain show of all time. It’s the only one with a full color light display besides world of color and a large variety of deferent fountain, most fountains have only micro shooters, super shooters and swivel fountains. Fountain of Nations had this charm no other dancing fountain could have not to mention how awesome it was to see them land all that water on such a little space

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I'm not familiar with the organizational aspect of The Walt Disney Co. Do they have a Dept. that looks after the historical/legacy preservation of Disney? I wonder if the people who make these decisions consult the archives for reference?

It appears that it's all about "cool" and "hip" these days. For many, Disney Parks are much more than an image on social media. The fountain meant something, the way it was dedicated says it all. If I wanted a "cool" fountain I'd go to Las Vegas!

If they decided to whack it, they better build something special, something that has a meaning, something that is more than a profitable update.

I understand that EPCOT is supposed to evolve, not decline.

csmat99

Fountains are just dated and now that dramatic anymore. While it was impressive for the 80s... it’s been long surpassed and that combined with lack of upkeep means it’s just a big road block to walk around rather than something to inspire and admire.
Fountains are never dated. Ever been to Versailles? Trevi fountain in Rome? Fountain of Wealth in Singapore ? If done well, maintained, upgraded they are timeless. The fountains at Versailles are just as wonderful now as they were over 300 years ago.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Fountains are never dated. Ever been to Versailles? Trevi fountain in Rome? Fountain of Wealth in Singapore ? If done well, maintained, upgraded they are timeless. The fountains at Versailles are just as wonderful now as they were over 300 years ago.

Your not really serious in your comparison are you ? You must have hung out in too many shopping malls in the 80s and 90s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom