Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Sir_Cliff

But is it the good kind of surprise or the bad kind of surprise?
Depends how you feel about the pavilion being demolished and replaced with the Dreamfinder Lounge cocktail bar.

It will have a great backstory and cutting edge new drink creations by some of Central Florida's top mixologists that honor the spirit of the original Journey Into Imagination, including the Purple Dragon, What About Science?, and One Little Shot...

Last edited:

KevinPage

I love the original ride but the current version is fairly worthless, so I’d be okay with just scraping it and letting them do Inside Out. This way it will let them start from scratch with Figment as opposed to holding onto something not so good.

trainplane3

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into their twitter account but who knows. Someone should ask them the future of the Horizons pavilion and see if you get the same canned response.

And something nice for all you Figment weirdos out there:
Walt-Disney-World-Hidden-Mickey-Pins-2019-Wave-B.jpg

We're getting a Figment "hidden Mickey" series of pins this year.
From DisneyPinsBlog: https://disneypinsblog.com/disney-hidden-mickey-pins-2019-wave-b/

DreamfinderGuy

So, if we *do* get an announcement at D23, is it still gonna be for 2023? Like, why announce something that far out? My money was really on Destination D 2020 or D23 2021

trainplane3

So, if we *do* get an announcement at D23, is it still gonna be for 2023? Like, why announce something that far out? My money was really on Destination D 2020 or D23 2021
I mean, 2017 we got announcements for rides opening in 2021 so it makes sense. I always thought the 2023 date was for it to close for whatever was planned but if it's for the opening date, I won't complain.

DreamfinderGuy

I mean, 2017 we got announcements for rides opening in 2021 so it makes sense. I always thought the 2023 date was for it to close for whatever was planned but if it's for the opening date, I won't complain.
Yeah, but that's for something that required a complete gutting, brand new infrastructure, saving a deteriorating building and bringing it up to code, constructing the largest showbuilding in WDW ontop of a forest, the construction of a brand new ride system, and installing everything together. Guardians of the Galaxy is a massive project. Tearing out some sets in Imagination and putting in new ones isn't gonna be very difficult unless they're planni- oh no. Oh god. They're not....

trainplane3

Yeah, but that's for something that required a complete gutting, brand new infrastructure, saving a deteriorating building and bringing it up to code, constructing the largest showbuilding in WDW ontop of a forest, the construction of a brand new ride system, and installing everything together. Guardians of the Galaxy is a massive project. Tearing out some sets in Imagination and putting in new ones isn't gonna be very difficult unless they're planni- oh no. Oh god. They're not....
Mickey ride should've been a "quick" gutting and refit too but look where they're at now...
Personally I'd be all for the theater to be demo'd, extend the 1st floor of Imagination out to the theater footprint, extend the ride, modify the current ramp (the one that leads up to the theater) to lead up to the 2nd floor, and cap it with a 3rd glass pyramid. Solves all the issues of fire/ADA in one move.
Then again, crazy Bob and Co' probably want another bland warehouse.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That was closing in 2023, not reopening. Unless they’ve bumped it up (there is still a tremendous amount of juggling and jostling going on)

As of very recently those dates stood.

trainplane3

I think you're vastly underestimating the work that putting together an attraction with ground-breaking visual tech as well as a ride system totally new to the Walt Disney World organization requires...
I know I am but Disney also set the original 2019 opening date before it was officially was pushed back.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Inside Out is NOT edutainment. Not even close. It’s completely fictional. A fantasy of how we might imagine emotions should be like in our brains. The story will completely fall apart upon scrutiny so it’ll be a mistake to sell it as education. In the movie, it suggests that if someone was pushed beyond, there’s no return. That’s absolutely absurd, but it’s great drama. It’s not responsible to turn Inside Out into an education in a mere 5 minutes attraction. It won’t work. You’ll turn the kids into basket cases literally. The movie requires 40 minutes to develop the character before they transitioned to the brain. This is lost in an attraction.

The constant refrain that IP is not creative while touting the revival of similar yet outdated attractions like Cranium Command and characters like Figment is the definition of lacking in originality. They can’t make those concepts work. IP with timeless Disney franchises work in Disney theme parks. Attractions can become IP too, but it’s easier to work with proven characters. Figment merchandise sales prove it could be sold, but it’s own attraction has failed in 3 incarnations. Failing again is a waste of resources. You love Figment so much you can’t let it go. They should just turn it into a meet and greet.

Wonders of Life: Huh? Can we stop pretending? It’s Play Pavilion.
Epcot isn't about edutainment, it's about inspiration. It sometimes uses/used edutainment as a means to inspire, but it doesn't necessarily have to.

FigmentFan82

To quell fears? If they do happen to actually try and attempt a newly envisioned return to glory of the pavilion, perhaps the intent of an early announcement is to garner good will? Maybe they expect some negative push-back from upcoming Epcot plans, so this could potentially offset that?
"New beer garden is coming!" - Booooooo
"But also Imagination is gonna go back to basically what it was!" - Yayyyyyyyyy

peng

I could see OG Imagination coming back as along with Horizons, it is the one ride that constantly gets the most requests to return. Though I can see imageworks getting gutted for more meet and greets and the theatre remaining as a permanent preview center.

EDIT: Also that tweet is probably going to be the generic response when someone asks about the epcot attractions for a while.

pdude81

“more info”

What I do have I’m not really at liberty to say. But again, just know that Disney is very much aware of Figment.

Figment is allowed to move away from just the glass pyramids ;)

12 years ago there was a chance. Now I’m doubtful.

(responding erasure fan1 saying they should level Imagination if they don't restore the original vision)

That is also a possibility.

Seems way too early. But we’ll see.

That was closing in 2023, not reopening. Unless they’ve bumped it up (there is still a tremendous amount of juggling and jostling going on)

As of very recently those dates stood.

It's almost as if they decided to turn WoL into the Imageworks and see if we'd accept that and move on.

I worry from trying to interpret some of Martin's earlier comments about the competing visions for this space combined with these notes about Imagination going away by 2023 that the replacement plan has little or nothing to do with Figment/Dreamfinder. Has a clear leader emerged in the competing visions? And if at liberty to say does that vision include the purple dragon staying in the big glass part of the building?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom