Per Jim Hill, the Star Wars restaurant is coming.

WDW Guru

Could lack of crowds be because the main ride is not even done yet? Why rush to a land that could not even get all of it done in time to open! Sorry but if you go only a few times a year in CA why waste a trip just wait.

The main attraction missing, the AP blackouts, and the hype for the crowds all have to do with the current crowds being down. It has nothing to do with the mishandling of the Star Wars brand as some have made it out to be.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Phase 2 was never approved, but if you have insider connections, you know that TDA is very concerned with the lack of crowds and that any work by WDI for Phase 2 conceptualizing is currently on hold. There was a meeting with several higher ups in Christine McCarthy's office recently... I don't know exactly what was said, but I know several individuals were moved from SW:GE Phase 2 work and placed on different projects.

And we wonder why stuff takes so long and/or never gets done. TWDC is one giant mess of competing agendas and disorganized feckless decision makers.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The main attraction missing, the AP blackouts, and the hype for the crowds all have to do with the current crowds being down. It has nothing to do with the mishandling of the Star Wars brand as some have made it out to be.

Im getting into the boat of doubting the excuse given that the missing main attraction ROTR is the reason for the slowness. Most people talking about ROTR are informed Disney Parks and Star Wars fans, does the average park guest really even know or care that it is missing?

WDW Pro

Could lack of crowds be because the main ride is not even done yet? Why rush to a land that could not even get all of it done in time to open! Sorry but if you go only a few times a year in CA why waste a trip just wait.

From what I was told by someone who knows somebody who knows the numbers... so, I'm two people removed from the source, but I'm fairly confident this is accurate, they are at least 10,000 guests short of low projections on average per day for the past few weeks. I don't know how far beyond 10,000 they're short, but they're at least 10,000. You're getting into big money when you have that number of guests not showing up.

To give you an idea of what kind of distress is going on at TDA and Lucasfilm, it is July 3rd... part of a holiday week at Disneyland when crowds should be bonkers. Instead, a crowd tracker has it labeled as a "ghost town": https://www.isitpacked.com/live-crowd-trackers/disneyland/

July 3rd, they've discounted tickets for all intents by over 50%, and there's nobody in the park this morning relative to what it should be.

jt04

From what I was told by someone who knows somebody who knows the numbers... so, I'm two people removed from the source, but I'm fairly confident this is accurate, they are at least 10,000 guests short of low projections on average per day for the past few weeks. I don't know how far beyond 10,000 they're short, but they're at least 10,000. You're getting into big money when you have that number of guests not showing up.

To give you an idea of what kind of distress is going on at TDA and Lucasfilm, it is July 3rd... part of a holiday week at Disneyland when crowds should be bonkers. Instead, a crowd tracker has it labeled as a "ghost town": https://www.isitpacked.com/live-crowd-trackers/disneyland/

July 3rd, they've discounted tickets for all intents by over 50%, and there's nobody in the park this morning relative to what it should be.

Why is this in a WDW restaurant thread?

Because the WDW restaurant thread is based on an untrue "leak" which I countered with what I know. When asked about it, I provided the information that backs up why the WDW restaurant isn't even close to being a green lit concept, or actively being planned at the moment.
Why would a company actively use numbers from a area that they purposefully restricted guest flow in as their marker for if the land was a success or not. That is ludicrous and bold statement to make especially when making decisions for one park that has not even opened their GE yet. It would be unwise to do ANYTHING at all until both lands are open and there are no guest restrictions.

They could of opened DL GE with zero blackouts and restrictions but what would of been worse. The "ghost town" reports or reports of "there is literally no where to go and nothing to do that isn't a 3 hour wait". I think the former is better for Disney because at least then people might start coming back where as if its crowded less people would come.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
There was an interesting discussion of this on the Dis-Unplugged podcast this week, they had not inside info, but they strongly believe that WDW will release Fall discounts in the next few weeks to help assure that the light crowds don't happen there.
With all the big data they get from WDW guests, they should have already been able to piece together any sort of trend regarding guest activity post August 29. If they are only now contemplating corrective measures it speaks volumes.

jt04

Because the WDW restaurant thread is based on an untrue "leak" which I countered with what I know. When asked about it, I provided the information that backs up why the WDW restaurant isn't even close to being a green lit concept, or actively being planned at the moment.

Fair enough. I would just respond that we have seen people make claims of areas at WDW were ghost towns before. Namely DHS after LMA and the BLT closed. Same for DTD after PI closed. All seems to have worked itself out. But these boards wouldn't be the same without the claims the sky is falling.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why would a company actively use numbers from a area that they purposefully restricted guest flow in as their marker for if the land was a success or not. That is ludicrous and bold statement to make especially when making decisions for one park that has not even opened their GE yet. It would be unwise to do ANYTHING at all until both lands are open and there are no guest restrictions.

They could of opened DL GE with zero blackouts and restrictions but what would of been worse. The "ghost town" reports or reports of "there is literally no where to go and nothing to do that isn't a 3 hour wait". I think the former is better for Disney because at least then people might start coming back where as if its crowded less people would come.

This is not surprising corporate behavior. If you have expectations of certain attendance or revenue, and you don't meet them for whatever reason, you start to panic.

jt04

This is not surprising corporate behavior. If you have expectations of certain attendance or revenue, and you don't meet them for whatever reason, you start to panic.

If true they would quickly lift restrictions on annual passes in phases. When that happens I will believe they need revenues up.

ToTBellHop

Phase 2 was never approved, but if you have insider connections, you know that TDA is very concerned with the lack of crowds and that any work by WDI for Phase 2 conceptualizing is currently on hold. There was a meeting with several higher ups in Christine McCarthy's office recently... I don't know exactly what was said, but I know several individuals were moved from SW:GE Phase 2 work and placed on different projects.
Yes. I’ve already shared on these boards that management is very concerned at DL’s attendance. However, they are incompetent morons.

Back here in the land of the sane, everything will be fine by next year and there will be a restaurant at some point. The losers in charge out west will have been moved somewhere else after surely making draconian cuts this fall. I’ve seen this episode before.

They are begging guests to come to DL with deals and social media marketing that shows the wait times, say the parks are dead, so please come. There are no fewer than four news posts on DPB today, including one en español, that basically say, “did you know we opened one of our Star Wars Lands? We bet you didn’t know. You didn’t know, right? Please tell us you didn’t know. ¿Tú no lo sabias? ¡Por favor ven aquí ahora!” That’s unprecedented. However, anyone with common sense (which MBAs often lack) can see why.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Original Poster
As I’ve said before, I don’t believe galaxy’s edge is a failure at all. After rise opens then we can see also when WDW opens that would be more fair. I really do think this Jim Hill rumor could come true.

EDIT: Savi’s and Oga’s already make hand over fist profits so...what’s the problem here?

SpoiledBlueMilk

Maybe they’re panicking with the low low attendance at the DLR. Apparently they haven’t been breaking down the doors to get in since the beginning of June.

I don't think the low numbers at DL are cause for concern nor should they be used as a benchmark for overall success of the land. No matter how you cut it, DL is a regional park with a high annual pass rate from local repeat park guests. People aren't flying into Anaheim to visit GE. Now WDW is a totally different beast. I fully expect that land to be packed to the gills.

ToTBellHop

The fallacy here is it doesn’t need to be planned by WDI. It already was. They just need to approve building it when they are ready. WDI already designed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom