Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure is open

JusticeDisney

I rode for the first time Sunday as well. I wasn't necessarily blown away by it either but I can't complain about the theming. I didn't have anybody bigshots in my group to shorten my wait. I queued up around 5 and was off around 7. Single riders were telling me it was a little over an hour for them. It's curious that say you almost forgot it was Harry Potter related. That's kind of like saying that you almost forgot that Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was Snow White related. I agree that it would be wise to wait until they get the bugs worked out on the ride system(and obviously there are some major bugs) and the crowds die down. Overall I was pleased with the ride. It's a much better experience than Gringott's.
For most of the ride you might as well be on any roller coaster in the world. You just see a lot of track. That was my point.

JusticeDisney

Yeah, it's kind hard to omit the Hagrid narration, the elaborate motorbike you're riding, etc. I can see someone saying the scenery itself not being 100% HP 100% of the time... and if you were in a generic box vehicle I might agree with them. But the motorbike portion of it is very high profile

Once you’re on the bike you almost don’t even know it anymore. Might as well be on the FOP banshee. Anyway, I was referring to the track and the scenery, or more appropriately the lack thereof.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Once you’re on the bike you almost don’t even know it anymore.

Now I even question if you've actually ridden the ride.

From the headlight effects... the taillights... to the seating positions... to the bike's handlebars.. to the fully detailed body work and elements all around. To the FREAKING SOUNDTRACK coming from the speakers below you, etc.

The headlight and the effect it gives while diving action through the forrest is epic in itself. Riding in the dark is special upon itself.

Or you rode in the sidecar and just discounted everything because of that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The ride is full of scenery. From castle structures, to the greenery, to the show sets, etc.

Yes you see the track (vs a BTMRR design) - but less we forget... this is what was there prior. Now this is 'seeing lots of track'

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 2.44.06 PM.png

Once on the coaster all you see is the track you ride on... nothing like the forrest of supports and columns that most people would really consider 'unthemed'

Where as on Hagrid's... most of the ride looks more like this level for comparison
Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 2.49.53 PM.png

And you forget views like this?
Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 2.48.39 PM.png

Some people just get hung up on a single item and want to throw the rest of the stuff out.

If anyone could ride any coaster in Orlando... I'd send them to Hagrid's every time. Maybe if Disney got off their #$% and actually fixed BTMRR's falling rock room or replace it with the explosion effects done at DLR... maybe BTMRR could better offset some of the fun factor Hagrid's has.

But instead.. Disney is scared to death of things overhead... while Uni still has raptor boxes not just overhead... but literally doing drops over guests.

Tom Morrow

I'd love to ride a second time, during the day, to better formulate my opinion (and also because its really fun, of course), but I've tried two additional times and was unable to get on both times. If it isn't for weather, which I obviously won't blame them for, it's something else. Constant hours-long downtimes every day. Arbitrarily closing the line at the end of the night - sometimes it isn't closed off until 9:00 PM, other times as early as 7:30 PM. If this is how it's going to be for a while, I think they need to choose a defined, consistent time at which they close off the line.

This is the most troublesome ride opening in recent history for Orlando. It's very clear that it needed another month or two of testing and soft opens.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
  1. Mine Train/railway
  2. Themed to a coaster
  3. Non diegetic suspension of disbelief

Hmmm...

1. You're on a vehicle that rides on tracks, and it's themed as such, so, you should indeed see the tracks: 7DMT, BTMR, Mt. Everest, Gringotts, Mummy
2. You're on a vehicle that rides on tracks because it's themed to be a roller coaster, so, you should definitely see the tracks!... Slinky, Incredicoaster
3. You're on a vehicle that rides on tracks, but, we've hidden the tracks (usually by being in the dark or limiting line of sight): RnRC, Space Mountain, many slow dark rides
4. You're on a vehicle that rides on tracks, but is not themed to be riding on tracks, and yet, tracks are still visible, pretend they're not there: Barnstormer, Primeval Whirl, Rip Ride Rocket, Flight of the Hippogryph, Hagrids

celluloid

Hmmm...

1. You're on a vehicle that rides on tracks, and it's themed as such, so, you should indeed see the tracks: 7DMT, BTMR, Mt. Everest, Gringotts, Mummy
2. You're on a vehicle that rides on tracks because it's themed to be a roller coaster, so, you should definitely see the tracks!... Slinky, Incredicoaster
3. You're on a vehicle that rides on tracks, but, we've hidden the tracks (usually by being in the dark or limiting line of sight): RnRC, Space Mountain, many slow dark rides
4. You're on a vehicle that rides on tracks, but is not themed to be riding on tracks, and yet, tracks are still visible, pretend they're not there: Barnstormer, Primeval Whirl, Rip Ride Rocket, Flight of the Hippogryph, Hagrids

Exactly. Hippogryph is actually themed to Flight Training with an enchanted contraption, so I am not sure if it is really soley 4 or not. But again, they can be a mix of the styles.

Jon81uk

The theming around those coasters are different types of mountains. Not sure why you are so stuck on trains. But hey, that’s on you.

Because you are stuck on the thought that you have to hide the track to make a flying motorbike look like it is flying.

Unfortunately the flying motorbike will never actually be able to fly, magic isn't real. Also Goofy's Barnstormer isn't a real plane and Dumbo has a metal arm holding him up while you are literally sat inside his back. A Magic Carpet doesn't actually fly and C3-PO isn't piloting a Star Tours vehicle in space.

Jon81uk

If you’re supposed to be flying through a forest, maybe a forest? Just a thought.

There is realistically a limit to how close you can plant a tree to a coaster track safely. Once the trees grow in a bit as well the area will look better of course, but it does look like Universal have done as much is fairly reasonably possible to theme the area, with the exception of the ugly electrical shed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There is realistically a limit to how close you can plant a tree to a coaster track safely. Once the trees grow in a bit as well the area will look better of course, but it does look like Universal have done as much is fairly reasonably possible to theme the area, with the exception of the ugly electrical shed.

Plant kudzu.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The irony is... the flying through, towards, and past part of the attraction is actually one of its strongest points. It's fantastic.

It's literally one backwards segment that people point out as 'painted buildings'. I'll give them even a second pass where the top of the building is more in your view (but further off..). But the other 95% of the attraction does exactly what they complain should be done.

Uni could put plastic fake trees in front of that wall and hide it more and the complainers would have to find something new... but honestly I don't think it really would make the attraction any better.

Epcot_Imagineer

I'm not agreeing with the way JusticeDisney is presenting his argument, but I believe I understand the point: Did Universal do enough to allow the average guest to suspend their disbelief long enough to not care about the track?
In a number of more recent and high-dollar Disney attractions, roller coasters have a number of things in their favor pushing the guest to be okay with the visible track. With EE, the entire premise revolves around a train, so the visible track is okay. Same goes for 7DMT. In RnRC the track is darkened, allowing you to more realistically believe you are in a car. Most of Disney's other attractions have their ride systems hidden be a variety of means, whether it be water, under the floor, placed behind of you, out of view, etc.

When Universal makes a ride with no easy explanation for tracks ("We're on a Train!") they are left with other options that I believe were used effectively. Hiding of supports with trees and shrubbery, surrounding the track with rocks or ruins, darkening areas with visible track and drops, etc. I suppose there is still a question of, "Was it executed well enough?", but I don't believe they were lazy in their execution.

EDIT: I haven't ridden the ride, as an FYI. Also I didn't intend to bash Universal as the only park with rides with unexplained track, i.e. Barnstormer

Last edited:

Princess Leia

For those who have ridden it, I have a 3 part question:
  1. Which seat did you choose (motorbike or sidecar)?
  2. Did you get to choose that seat before loading?
  3. And if you're lucky enough to have ridden twice, which experience did you prefer?

JusticeDisney

For those who have ridden it, I have a 3 part question:
  1. Which seat did you choose (motorbike or sidecar)?
  2. Did you get to choose that seat before loading?
  3. And if you're lucky enough to have ridden twice, which experience did you prefer?
I sat in the motorbike the first time. And yes, you do get to choose which one. As for my preference, I sat on the bike four times and in the side car just once, so I clearly preferred the bike. I think it’s greatly over exaggerated to say that the ride is totally different depending upon which one you’re in, although I do think it’s a slightly more fun experience on the bike.

Just my $.02.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom