New enhancements coming to WDW's Haunted Mansion for the 50th anniversary?

Imagineer999

Original Poster
I know I’m going to get a lot of hate for this...

but Disney should get rid of the Ghost Host’s hanging body.

I know it is an iconic Haunted Mansion effect, but it really needs to go. We can’t forget that the Haunted Mansion is an attraction at the Magic Kingdom and there shouldn’t be a hanging body anywhere in the Magic Kingdom or in any Disney park for that matter.

It is also so very unneeded. Have the Ghost Host say “There’s always my way!”, let the lights flicker, and play the sound of a man falling to his death. Subtle and simple.

For those who don’t have a problem with the effect, I want to know why. I get that it doesn’t bother some people, but it really... unsettles me. Yes, I know it is supposed to unsettle you, but should I really be thinking about someone hanging themself while at WDW?

EDIT: I didn’t explain it clearly, but my problem with the hanging body is it’s unexpected, graphic depiction of suicide. This should not be acceptable in a family-oriented attraction.

“Children are people, and they should have to reach to learn about things, to understand things, just as adults have to reach if they want to grow in mental stature. Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows. Most things are good, and they are the strongest things; but there are evil things too, and you are not doing a child a favor by trying to shield him from reality. The important thing is to teach a child that good can always triumph over evil.”

The Disney Parks and films are full of dark subject matter. In Pinocchio's Daring Journey and the films, there are kids who drink and smoke and turn into donkeys and never see their parents again. In Bambi, the mother gets shot. In Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, you go to hell at the end. In Pirates of the Caribbean, they DROWN a mayor in a well, steal and drink, and burn the city down. In the Mansion, besides the hanging corpse, you have dead guy opening a coffin and an axe - wielding bride who murdered her husbands. If all these things were removed, the parks would be boring and lose their sense of adventure. Also keep in the mind Walt's quote about lights and shadows. He did not treat his kids like fragile flowers. He taught them all about the good and evil in this world, but also taught that good will always triumph. My parents taught me the same thing. You're entitled to your opinion, but removing the corpse would be a big mistake and it would contradict the whole point of the attraction. Like they said, don't look up if it bothers you. The scene does not need to be toned down just because a few people don't like it.

ImperfectPixie

“Children are people, and they should have to reach to learn about things, to understand things, just as adults have to reach if they want to grow in mental stature. Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows. Most things are good, and they are the strongest things; but there are evil things too, and you are not doing a child a favor by trying to shield him from reality. The important thing is to teach a child that good can always triumph over evil.”

The Disney Parks and films are full of dark subject matter. In Pinocchio's Daring Journey and the films, there are kids who drink and smoke and turn into donkeys and never see their parents again. In Bambi, the mother gets shot. In Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, you go to hell at the end. In Pirates of the Caribbean, they DROWN a mayor in a well, steal and drink, and burn the city down. In the Mansion, besides the hanging corpse, you have dead guy opening a coffin and an axe - wielding bride who murdered her husbands. If all these things were removed, the parks would be boring and lose their sense of adventure. Also keep in the mind Walt's quote about lights and shadows. He did not treat his kids like fragile flowers. He taught them all about the good and evil in this world, but also taught that good will always triumph. My parents taught me the same thing. You're entitled to your opinion, but removing the corpse would be a big mistake and it would contradict the whole point of the attraction. Like they said, don't look up if it bothers you. The scene does not need to be toned down just because a few people don't like it.
There have been studies over the years that focus on why kids are so drawn to fairy tales and why they insist on having them read to them over and over even though they contain the darkness (and sometimes horrifying events) you mentioned. It has to do with child development and them not being able to control much in their lives - the "good overcoming evil" theme helps them learn to cope with such a big, scary world in which they have little to no control over anything.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
I know that WDW Magic participants shouls "know" things like this, but tell me who Constance is and how she relates to the beating heart woman. I only remember the beating heart woman. (Don't hit me!)

Constance Hatchaway, aka the Black Widow Bride, is the newest bride who was added to DLR's Mansion in 2006 and WDW's in 2007. The original animatronic beating-heart bride and the pop-up ghosts were removed. The new bride is a manaquien in a wedding dress with a projection. The pop-up ghosts were replaced by five wedding portraits of Constance and each of her grooms, whose heads disappear and reappear, implying that she beheaded them with an axe to get their wealth.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
No, No, No...Going backwards is not the answer. Just my opinion, albeit a strong one. Everything in the mansion is great. Maybe freshen it up a bit, but lets not revert back to old effects.

but there are some old effects that in my opinion did not need to be changed. As great as the 2007 Re-Haunting was, not everything about it was perfect. There were a few changes that just didn't need to happen. The biggest offenders are what happened to the Portrait Corridor and the Corridor of Doors. The changes that were made there watered down the Florida Mansion's unique personality and made it more like its Disneyland counterpart. The Sinister 11 portraits and their watchful eyes were replaced by the transforming portraits from Disneyland. A downgrade imo because the original hallway was more subtle yet creepy and emphasized how the mansion is watching you. As for the Corridor of Doors, it used to have this unique lighting of deep red to make the Corridor feel more dangerous and claustrophobic. It also had a pair of hands prying the last door open, finally showing something emerging. Well the 2007 Imagineers second guessed the intentions of Marc and Claude and chose to remove the red lighting and hands, making it less unique and more like Disneyland's. It's changes like that that trouble me. Not everything has to look exactly the same.

Speedy71

I know I’m going to get a lot of hate for this...

but Disney should get rid of the Ghost Host’s hanging body.

I know it is an iconic Haunted Mansion effect, but it really needs to go. We can’t forget that the Haunted Mansion is an attraction at the Magic Kingdom and there shouldn’t be a hanging body anywhere in the Magic Kingdom or in any Disney park for that matter.

It is also so very unneeded. Have the Ghost Host say “There’s always my way!”, let the lights flicker, and play the sound of a man falling to his death. Subtle and simple.

For those who don’t have a problem with the effect, I want to know why. I get that it doesn’t bother some people, but it really... unsettles me. Yes, I know it is supposed to unsettle you, but should I really be thinking about someone hanging themself while at WDW?

EDIT: I didn’t explain it clearly, but my problem with the hanging body is it’s unexpected, graphic depiction of suicide. This should not be acceptable in a family-oriented attraction.

I understand what your coming from and no offense but this type of thinking is what lost us the iconic auction scene.

Last edited:

Imagineer999

Original Poster
I believe that people on both sides of the should we remove/keep the hanging man in the stretching room issue have presented their arguments - some more politely than others. Please get back to the topic of refurbishments.

Exactly. Anyway, there is no other news I have to share regarding the Haunted Mansion, but before anybody asks, don't expect the holiday overlay to come.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom