New enhancements coming to WDW's Haunted Mansion for the 50th anniversary?

prberk

Exactly, but I doubt Constance will get the boot anytime soon. Many diehard mansion fans including myself can't stand her, but she is beloved by a lot of other people. She's become an iconic character of the attraction at this point. I see her on soooooo much merchandise.

I know that WDW Magic participants shouls "know" things like this, but tell me who Constance is and how she relates to the beating heart woman. I only remember the beating heart woman. (Don't hit me!)

Last edited:

sallyslater

I know I’m going to get a lot of hate for this...

but Disney should get rid of the Ghost Host’s hanging body.

I know it is an iconic Haunted Mansion effect, but it really needs to go. We can’t forget that the Haunted Mansion is an attraction at the Magic Kingdom and there shouldn’t be a hanging body anywhere in the Magic Kingdom or in any Disney park for that matter.

It is also so very unneeded. Have the Ghost Host say “There’s always my way!”, let the lights flicker, and play the sound of a man falling to his death. Subtle and simple.

For those who don’t have a problem with the effect, I want to know why. Yes, I know it is supposed to unsettle you, but should I really be thinking about someone hanging themself while at WDW?

The hanging body is an unexpected, graphic depiction of suicide and should not be accepted in a family-oriented attraction.

Last edited:

Tonto

My WDW Haunted Mansion wish list:

- make the interactive queue more creepy and less silly. The entire first half of the attraction is supposed to be foreboding. You're not supposed to know that these are good-natured ghosts until you get to the ballroom.
- adjust the timing of Master Gracey's portrait transformation so everyone can see it
- restore the "moving eyes" effect to the Sinister 11 portraits in the Load Area. I doubt they will ever restore the original Portrait Corridor, but getting those stares back would make up for it
- restore the deep red lighting to the Corridor of Doors and the pair of hands prying the last door open
- restore the original attic
- restore the original hitchhiking ghost effect

If they could make those changes, I would be so happy.
No, No, No...Going backwards is not the answer. Just my opinion, albeit a strong one. Everything in the mansion is great. Maybe freshen it up a bit, but lets not revert back to old effects.

Bocabear

No, No, No...Going backwards is not the answer. Just my opinion, albeit a strong one. Everything in the mansion is great. Maybe freshen it up a bit, but lets not revert back to old effects.
Moving forward is the way...but adding the moving eyes to the load area portraits would be pretty amazing.
I would also love to see the graveyard to be more foreboding and less silly...
And the stairway hall could use some enhancements and repair...... The mirrors are all warped, the cool white LED candelabras look bad against the other lighting in the attraction... Frequently the footsteps are not working...

FigmentFan82

I know it is an iconic Haunted Mansion effect, but it really needs to go. We can’t forget that the Haunted Mansion is an attraction at the Magic Kingdom and there shouldn’t be a hanging body anywhere in the Magic Kingdom or in any Disney park for that matter.

It is also so very unneeded. Have the Ghost Host say “There’s always my way!”, let the lights flicker, and play the sound of a man falling to his death. Subtle and simple.

For those who don’t have a problem with the effect, I want to know why. I get that it doesn’t bother some people, but it really... unsettles me. Yes, I know it is supposed to unsettle you, but should I really be thinking about someone hanging themself while at WDW?
nope

jt04

For those who don’t have a problem with the effect, I want to know why. I get that it doesn’t bother some people, but it really... unsettles me. Yes, I know it is supposed to unsettle you, but should I really be thinking about someone hanging themself while at WDW?

I agree. With new projection tech they could offer many different scenes which could be random so you never know what to expect.

Bocabear

The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite Disney attractions (up there with only ToT, and Splash Mountain). So no, I don’t think that every single morbid thing should be banned from Disney World, but a hanging body??!? Too much.

It it were in Universal, it wouldn’t bother me.

The Haunted Mansion is such a charming attraction, but there is nothing charming about a hanging body.
Actually you can barely see it... Hard to tell what is up there...
Funny that you find that so unsettling but the portrait of the lady with the ax in her husband's head doesn't bother you... or the ax wielding bride in the attic....those things to me are more noticeable and violent than the body you can barely see.

Janir

I'd be happy with the HM as it is if they would just get rid of FP+ for the ride...
I could actually get behind this. The full line themeing is great fun so I don't mind the wait. Depending on when you hit up HM, last 2 trips it seemed we could get on easily at some point during the day with little wait. Other points both the FP + and the regular lines were jam packed full.

KrazyKat

The one thing I really wish they would get rid of is the small bride on the ledge saying "hurry back". Not scary. Make it either full size or maybe a portal you go through to get back to the real world. Make a classic attraction end with something more grand and "bigger" then that tiny bride.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The Haunted Mansion is an attraction with scary/spooky/macabre things inside. It's in the name! To expect something different or to be offending by such props is absurd,IMO. Sorry. You're entitled to your opinion of course. I just don't agree with it. With this scene in particular, it's depicted is such a subtle way so as not to offend. (It's tattered cloth. A pile of laundry hanging from a beam) Unless of course we seek out things to offend us. Now that's scary! Those dueling ghosts... gun violence! #shutitdown!

If you want a watered-down attraction; there's a Splash Mountain boat at the ready with your name on it!

Last edited:

Rinx

I respect your opinion and will not argue for either side.

That being said, you can still enjoy HM to its fullest. Just don't look up anymore. Then you'll never know if it's still there or not and it won't take away from your experience. It'll be your own sort of Schrodinger's Cat.

ImperfectPixie

I’m not disturbed by there being a figure of dead person in Disney World.

What I AM disturbed by an unexpected, graphic depiction of suicide in Disney World.

Think about families who may have lost a loved one to suicide. It is very unexpected to be reminded of this in such a insensitive way at a place like Disney World. Imagineers weren’t thinking about this in the 60’s.
Most people don't even ever realize it's there. I respect your opinion, but I also disagree with it. It's a Haunted Mansion attraction - if people are upset by death, they shouldn't go on. Period.

Tonto

It is an unexpected, graphic depiction of suicide.

Think about families who may have lost a loved one to suicide. It is very unexpected to be reminded of this in such a insensitive way at a place like Disney World. Imagineers weren’t thinking about this in the 60’s.
I have to say I love the hanging ghost. Also, I never, ever thought that the hanging ghost was related to suicide. You are drawing your own conclusions there. It’s a haunted mansion. We’ve got to stop with this oversensitivity.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Once again, a member on the forums who has misunderstood me. It’s my fault for not explaining better, but it isn’t the death or violence which bothers me in the Haunted Mansion (it is a death themed attraction, that should be expected)

It is the attraction’s unexpected and graphic depiction of suicide which bothers me. Shouldn’t be accepted in a Disney attraction.

I understood. I just don't see how it's "graphic"
IMO.

MotherOfBirds

The changes need to be technical, not story based. Every time WDI has touched an old attraction in recent years, it goes way overboard on "lore." Just like the recent Phantom Manor refurb, they decide to make changes that amount to dragging guests by the nose through a narrative that they've shoehorned in, i.e. Connie or Pepe le Queue. Make it pretty. Don't give us more lore without meaning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom