Restaurants for the non-Disneyphile/Foodie

starri42

Original Poster
My husband is making what is likely to be his only trip to WDW with me this December. He is likely to be unimpressed by anything other than the food. I have actually spent hours pouring over DFB videos to try and narrow down choices. Because food would be a big draw for him, we decided to go for the Deluxe plan, since we'd be doing enough signature restaurants to make it worthwhile.

So far, we've got reservations for Le Cellier, Jiko, Ohana, and Morimoto. We're there for five nights, so I don't know what to do for the fifth one. He told me unequivocally no character meals, which was a bit disappointing, because I would have enjoyed Artist Point for the Wicked Queen if nothing else.

I also have a lunch reservation for Skipper Canteen (that one's for me).

I was thinking about Tiffins, but since I don't know how much park hopping he'd be down for, we'd probably have to do it for lunch the same day as Jiko, and I REALLY don't want to eat two heavy meals in the span of a few hours.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My husband is making what is likely to be his only trip to WDW with me this December. He is likely to be unimpressed by anything other than the food. I have actually spent hours pouring over DFB videos to try and narrow down choices.
So far, we've got reservations for Le Cellier, Jiko, Ohana, and Morimoto. We're there for five nights, so I don't know what to do for the fifth one. He told me unequivocally no character meals, which was a bit disappointing, because I would have enjoyed Artist Point for the Wicked Queen if nothing else.

IMHO, (and I'll catch flack for this I know as some believe the ones I will mention are the best thing since sliced bread) Le Cellier and Ohana are not food that would impress someone. The steaks at Le Cellier are not that good, the tables are jam-packed with little room between them, and the prices do not reflect the quality of the food... think multipliers.

Ohana at dinner is a poor imitation of a proper Churrasco, the only thing they have in common is they have meat and you sit in a seat.

I'd look at the Flying Fish, Todd English's bluezoo , and Il Mulino for food to impress someone.

Hockey89

IMHO, (and I'll catch flack for this I know as some believe the ones I will mention are the best thing since sliced bread) Le Cellier and Ohana are not food that would impress someone. The steaks at Le Cellier are not that good, the tables are jam-packed with little room between them, and the prices do not reflect the quality of the food... think multipliers.

Ohana at dinner is a poor imitation of a proper Churrasco, the only thing they have in common is they have meat and you sit in a seat.

I'd look at the Flying Fish, Todd English's bluezoo , and Il Mulino for food to impress someone.
Morimoto completely mailed it in as well... Nothing like his other locations....

If he is a foodie, go to Capa at the Four Seasons....

starri42

Original Poster
Ohana was actually his request, so I think that one's non-negotiable. He seemed more enthused about Morimoto as well, although we also kicked around Wine Bar George. Jiko was my top choice.

Like I said, my primary research has been DFB, which rates (as of last accounting, I think) Le Cellier above California Grill and Flying Fish. It is nice to have options.

NeedMoreMickey

Ohana is a character meal and I wasn't impressed with the food. We also enjoyed our meal at Flying Fish on the Boardwalk last year. If you want steak how about Yachtsman Steakhouse or Shula's?

aw14

We love 'Ohana and do it every trip. The food is excellent and obviously there is enough to go around.

One suggestion I would make would be to change le Cellier for Yachtsman. Better quality imo.

We enjoy Skipper as well, and will be doing that for lunch on our upcoming trip.

Other family favorites:
  • Boma
  • Liberty Tree
  • Brown Derby
  • Chefs de France
  • the Wave (a true hidden gem, and walking distance to MK)

Gomer

My husband is making what is likely to be his only trip to WDW with me this December. He is likely to be unimpressed by anything other than the food. I have actually spent hours pouring over DFB videos to try and narrow down choices. Because food would be a big draw for him, we decided to go for the Deluxe plan, since we'd be doing enough signature restaurants to make it worthwhile.

I was thinking about Tiffins, but since I don't know how much park hopping he'd be down for, we'd probably have to do it for lunch the same day as Jiko, and I REALLY don't want to eat two heavy meals in the span of a few hours.
I love Tiffins, but doing Jiko and Tiffins in the same day might be overdoing it within the same "spectrum" of flavors. Similarly Sanaa is very impressive. But Jiko is probably the best of the three, so if you're choosing one you probably already have the best bet. At least in my experience, African or "African Inspired" restaurants seem to be the least watered down on the taste side in WDW and are usually a good bet for people looking for more

If you're looking for a light meal on the same day as a big reservation, counter services like Tangerine Cafe or Sautuli Canteen might cut it. They're counter service, but the food quality is better than a number of the table service restaurants in my opinion. Another option for a smaller meal is Spice Road Table. Small plates means you can avoid eating too much if you have a dinner reservation later on. (disclaimer, I have not yet eaten at Spice road, but it seems to get good reviews from foodies)

LeighM

We enjoyed Homecomin at Disney Springs, Nomad Lounge at AK (the lounge attached to Tiffins), the lounge at the Brown Derby in HS, and Sanaa at AKL Kidani. Because table service restaurants take so much time out of the day, we have started going to more quick service locations or the lounges attached to the signature restaurants. And it's not just the time it takes but the amount of food!! My husband and I learned that we cannot do 2 table services meals in one day. I can eat a lot of food and I couldn't even do it LOL. Which is one reason we enjoyed eating at the lounges because we could still try the menu, minimal waits, no reservations needed, and smaller bites which allowed us to try more food. We were also pleasantly surprised by Sebastian's Bistro when we stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort.

awoogala

You may want to look into the lounges for a lighter tapas style meal (especially if you like wine or cocktails). Tutto Gusto in Italy in Epcot, (think charcuterie/wine/cheese) Nomad's (attached to tiffin's) in ak are some of our fave "meals" . No reservations needed, relaxed atmosphere, charming settings. We get a few apps to share, a few drinks.
Since you were considering tiffins, they share some of their apps with nomad's.. It's a way to not have to l,oad up on BIG meals on the same days.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Ohana is not going to impress a foodie, it is very average.

Consider the Disney Springs offerings - Wine Bar George, Jaleo, STK, Wolfgang Puck Bar and Grill.

Some of the Disney locations that may impress are Tiffins, Sanaa, Boma. I would skip Jiko, it is not what it was.

BASS

I agree with networkpro and hockey89. Bluezoo is fantastic, as is Flying Fish (in that order). Bluezoo has a tinge of Vegas in Disney. Also, although I haven't been to Capa, it's at the Four Seasons . . . if he wants to be impressed, the Four Seasons usually doesn't let down. That is on my to-do list.

Jiko is fantastic BTW.

I'd skip the others you have mentioned. I haven't been to any, but generally haven't heard good things.

I also enjoyed Frontera at Disney Springs.

DISR

Do the Nomad Lounge attached to Tiffins instead of trying to do Tiffins on the same day as Jiko. The apps/tapas there are as good as anything in AK, and that will allow you downsize your meal quite a bit. Ask if you can also order apps from the Tiffins...the octopus was very good last time I was there.

I'm kind of a Disney bubble type, but a recent stay at the Four Seasons made me a believe in that hotel and its signature restaurant, Capa. It is definitely worth a trip over for a foodie. I would save it for the last night...the experience there may decrease your enjoyment of other Disney dining experiences if you do it first.

IMO, the restuarants in Disney Springs are better in most cases than the parks and resorts.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Honestly likely anywhere you go he's going to have something negative to say about it since he doesn't seem to even want to be there.

The majority of Disney restaurants are first and foremost about the atmosphere and experience and then about food.
That is not to say the food is bad but if you're looking for food fit for a king Disney is not it.

You know him best so if its based on food alone then I assume you've looked at all the menus and already based where you are eating on that so I have nothing furter to add.

Just go with what you think he will enjoy.

danyoung56

.... Le Cellier and Ohana are not food that would impress someone. The steaks at Le Cellier are not that good, the tables are jam-packed with little room between them, and the prices do not reflect the quality of the food... think multipliers.

I could not disagree more with most of what you said above. Yes, Le Cellier is a bit crowded, and it's expensive. But I've never had a bad meal there. And 'Ohana is to die for!

To each his / her own . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom