Emotional Whirlwind Grand Opening & Ride Reviews - Let's Get Excited!

fctiger

Agreed! It looks and feels super charming at night! To me, it brings the pier back to the feel of the Santa Monica pier / Santa Cruz pier that inspired this section of the park originally. The lights, color and music just add to the overall impact.

Wow this looks amazing at night! PP has always been one of the nicer lands to walk around at night because of all the popcorn lights. Honestly while I have no interest in the ride itself, its really a nice addition to PP and just make this area more lively and alive. They really did a nice job of taking a used spinner and turning it into what it is now. I get why people don't like it, but what else could you even put there?

TP2000

Original Poster
I will say it looks pretty at night, based on the photos.

I agree, it looks great at night!

Wow this looks amazing at night! ... I get why people don't like it, but what else could you even put there?

I don't know that anyone dislikes it outright, but it's just a reused C Ticket spinner that was relatively cheap for them to do and then was plugged at D23 Expo as a "new ride!" coming to "Pixar Pier!". So it was easy to pick on.

That said, the Maliboomer closed a decade ago, and that big concrete foundation has been sitting there empty ever since. The Disney-Pixar Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind, as much as I've enjoyed poking fun, is a nice little upgrade to that dead corner of the Pier.

And it does look great at night.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I just watched a 20 minute video with Dusty proposing that Disney retheme all of the rest of the attractions/restaurants/gift shops in the Paradise Gardens area to Pixar. :confused:

I think we may just need to brace ourselves for possible future plans.

I’ve never been too critical about Pixar Pier. It’s about as California as Paradise Pier was. Anymore would just be way beyond overkill.

fctiger

I agree, it looks great at night!

I don't know that anyone dislikes it outright, but it's just a reused C Ticket spinner that was relatively cheap for them to do and then was plugged at D23 Expo as a "new ride!" coming to "Pixar Pier!". So it was easy to pick on.

That said, the Maliboomer closed a decade ago, and that big concrete foundation has been sitting there empty ever since. The Disney-Pixar Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind, as much as I've enjoyed poking fun, is a nice little upgrade to that dead corner of the Pier.

And it does look great at night.

But does it really matter? ITs a tiny space, no matter what they added here it was going to be small, cheap and carnivalish. And I said earlier people were begging for ABL not be closed to keep this same ride. Well now they have it in a different package. I just don't know what else they could've done with this space. For years it was just a seating area. Now there is something there for kids to ride and liven up the land as a whole.

And it does show how much DCA has changed in general. You mentioned Maliboomer, that was as off the shelf carnival themed you could get back then. This ride however is classic Disney in every way. They went out of their way to make it feel more then something you would find in Magic Mountain. Ironically thats what so much of the original pier felt like at opening. DCA still has problems but they do try for the little touches now DCA 1.0 couldn't care less about.

Happyrebster

But does it really matter? ITs a tiny space, no matter what they added here it was going to be small, cheap and carnivalish.

And it does show how much DCA has changed in general. You mentioned Maliboomer, that was as off the shelf carnival themed you could get back then. This ride however is classic Disney in every way.

My thoughts exactly. The parents wanted a ride for the smaller ones - so Disney responded with something that satisfies them yet still adds color and life to the pier. I think it's pretty creative. And a far improvement, in my mind, to the Bug's Life version of this ride (which I found quite boring).

They plussed it and added much more story, music and color.

Finally - don't get me started on the Mailboomer! We hated that ride! Talk about boring and unoriginal! This ride is far more creative than that piece of junk.

Happyrebster

Let's remind ourselves what originally sat in this area:

Ugh. About as charming as you would find in your local county fair. I will never know how that original park got approved and actually built.

Ditto! I'm really not a complainer; but this ride made me angry. They weren't even trying. So glad it's gone.

fctiger

I think we may just need to brace ourselves for possible future plans.

I’ve never been too critical about Pixar Pier. It’s about as California as Paradise Pier was. Anymore would just be way beyond overkill.

Same for me as well. Even if you don't love Pixar Pier, its still 100 times better than the original pier. I think people have forgotten how bland and boring so much of the original was. Pixar Pier at least adds life and color to the area. I really enjoy walking though it now vs the original pier where I would ride Calif. Screamin and get out of there as fast as possible. Now the place has charm and character.

The reality is there is just not much you can do with it in its current form. 70% of its real estate is the roller coaster. They squeezed in TSM which is obviously a great addition but they can't add anything else at this point beyond smaller carnival stuff. The pier should've never been built in the first place IMO but its there now and it is what it is what it is.

fctiger

I believe I heard at one point that the area could have been used as a corridor to another, larger, attraction built outside the boundary of the park. Much the same way that 'Midway Mania' is actually outside of California Adventure.

I actually do remember people suggesting a Ratatouille clone could've been made there. But I don't know how feasible that is because they probably do use some of that area for backstage stuff as well and to get aound. But as GE proved, anything is possible. But DL had a berm, so they had the space. PP has only so much backstage area.

lazyboy97o

Ugh. About as charming as you would find in your local county fair. I will never know how that original park got approved and actually built.
Emotional Whirl Wind is literally a county fair ride with a portable trailer version available from Zamperla.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom