Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Bender123

I'm not defending Tom. He's definitely got a bit of a... Reputation 'round these parts (and beyond). But like I said, running a rumor site is a thankless job. Stick to the news, and if you have to post a rumor - call it out as such and admit defeat when it's wrong. You can't win them all.

that's kind of the problem with Tom...he never admits he was wrong. Even the update to the Tiki rumor is basically whining that WDW was mean to him, then deflecting by saying they never responded about the Bears and that it "could" be an overlay. You see...HE wasn't wrong, it was Disney that was wrong, because they don't answer every one of his rumors. I just get the feeling that WDW as had enough of dealing with the fallout from his "rumors".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
that's kind of the problem with Tom...he never admits he was wrong. Even the update to the Tiki rumor is basically whining that WDW was mean to him, then deflecting by saying they never responded about the Bears and that it "could" be an overlay. You see...HE wasn't wrong, it was Disney that was wrong, because they don't answer every one of his rumors. I just get the feeling that WDW as had enough of dealing with the fallout from his "rumors".

To be fair, there were times he admitted to being wrong. The problem is that there are times when he was absolutely objectively wrong and wouldn't admit it (Speedway going away, three times saying Stitch was closing for good and its insides torn out when that didn't happen yet and refusing to acknowledge all those wrong times).

Also to be fair, his blog did say his rumor was of an overlay. But, his headlines didn't convey that, so, it was his fault for being unclear... which he won't own up to.

ToTBellHop

To be fair, there were times he admitted to being wrong. The problem is that there are times when he was absolutely objectively wrong and wouldn't admit it (Speedway going away, three times saying Stitch was closing for good and its insides torn out when that didn't happen yet and refusing to acknowledge all those wrong times).

Also to be fair, his blog did say his rumor was of an overlay. But, his headlines didn't convey that, so, it was his fault for being unclear... which he won't own up to.
You’re telling me Clickbait used a Clickbaity headline?

Surferboy567

To be fair, I’m sure the guy just feels burned for being trash talked directly by Disney, he no doubt has admiration for the company. I am in no way defending him but it’s good to mention while he spreads incorrect info their is always a person underneath.

That being said...

He’s kinda using that country bear rumor as sort of a threat in the statement that’s how I saw it anyways. If I were him I would just let the whole situation blow over, and move on as others have said. Even though for me personally, I won’t believe much of what he says going forward.

jrhwdw

Don't hate me for saying this but I learned something from Corless' Tiki bombshell, I never knew that Tiki and CBJ was all one big building! I never knew that! If both had to go, they could use the whole building as a theater! An Adventureland Theater works in TDL!

Disney hasn't shot down Corless' 50th parade bombshell, which bothers me!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't hate me for saying this but I learned something from Corless' Tiki bombshell, I never knew that Tiki and CBJ was all one big building! I never knew that! If both had to go, they could use the whole building as a theater! An Adventureland Theater works in TDL!

Disney hasn't shot down Corless' 50th parade bombshell, which bothers me!

We're still waiting for Disney to shoot down their own announced rumor of a Main Street Theater.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I don't think he has a press pass.
Disney deals those out on a case-by-case basis for events and openings anyway, don't they?

So I thought I read Tom was all sorts of upset when he did not get PR passes to Disneyland for star wars. He had to buy tickets and get a place opening day with the rest of the commoners.

Here is how I see this whole thing went down. First we know Disney does not like decent in their ranks and criticism from the "Media" is a huge No-No going as far as forcing outlets to revise stories critical of the company.

Between Tom's critizems of Bob, and negative reporting and running list of Disneyland issues (which I think have stopped by the way, or atleast I have not seen recently,) Disney seems to have had enough of him "stepping out of line". They denied him press passes and are now just eviscerating him in the press. For the recent rumors he has gotten wrong I feel this could be going two ways one Disney is trying to plug holes. Feeding false rumors and see what leaks then hunt down who is letting things slip. Or purposefully giving him info they know is false to publicly humiliate him.

Because Tom has not played well in the Disney fan community sandbox, especially with this site and stealing valued members information and claiming it as his. He will most likely recive very little support form those in the community.

The danger is that while I am enjoying the knockdown by Disney here. I am also concerned they are sending a message to the rest of the community about criticism. Disney needs to let these sites be critical and use that as a means to improve. All that being said I would not be surprised if Disney and Tom have some stuff going on behind the scene, we will probally never hear about it but if he thinks he can take on Disney and win...

tirian

I understand them getting out ahead of it since they are sick of him. The choice the include "unscrupulous" should be beneath them. TC is obnoxious, but at the end of the day, he's a fan. Disney shouldn't resort to name-calling fans.
I don’t know...he presents his opinions as facts...and Disney does have the responsibility to post accurate information. If he publicly posts bad info, they can publicly rebut it.

danheaton

I think the issue for me is just not wanting to support a site where the leader is just not a nice person by all accounts. He does get some things right sometimes and is wrong other times, and he could totally be right about the Tiki Room. But the way he keeps reminding us of when he's right just gets old. I was surprised by Disney's blog post, and I think it's worded carefully to give them flexibility. But I'll admit that I also found it funny because of the target.

Janir

"A little birdie told us there are some rumors flying around about our beloved Tiki birds at Walt Disney World Resort. We’re sorry that our fans are being fed incorrect information by unscrupulous sources. "
I think we can put this rumor to bed now. Let the little birdies get their rest so they are ready for their next show.

Last edited:

tirian

The danger is that while I am enjoying the knockdown by Disney here. I am also concerned they are sending a message to the rest of the community about criticism. Disney needs to let these sites be critical and use that as a means to improve. All that being said I would not be surprised if Disney and Tom have some stuff going on behind the scene, we will probally never hear about it but if he thinks he can take on Disney and win...

That’s the really big concern here. Disney is a corporate conglomerate with a revolving door of mid-level execs who are doing their time to build résumés and move to another widget corporation. It’s not as if they care about Walt’s legacy.

Over the last few years, the company has made many decisions that betray their lack of traditional Disney value and quality. Fans should call them out because those are the reasons the company has fans in the first place.

But Iger has treated legit media badly for criticizing him. Is Disney’s new PR strategy to simply pretend they’re God’s ambassador to families, and any criticism is unwarranted?

tirian

He and Martin are the only two I feel are worthy to be called Insiders or Rumor Mongers. They delivered the goods, and were (usually) spot-on. Hopefully one day Spirit will make a grand return to the forums.
I miss Spirit because he’s a true industry insider who knows what’s going on and isn’t afraid to speak the truth.

His style could be abrasive, but I think that was often due to his frustration with pixie-dusting fans who balked at his legitimate knowledge because (for example) they loved the new cupcakes while he was warning about the exec leadership changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom