Less Immersion Improves Galaxy's Edge

mickEblu

Galaxy Edge has this issue where they play the sound effects of things and there's clearly nothing there and it's a letdown basically. In the past, Disney could get away with this sort of thing and it was charming, such as the unseen pirates digging in the cave before you get on the boat in the WDW Pirate ride and the ultimate speaker at the exit of Haunted Mansion playing the sound of laughter.

Galaxy Edge feels weirdly static and un-charming.

Well a ghost is sometimes invisible so they re not really getting away with anything. Can’t speak for WDW Pirates. Those old WED guys just knew what they re doing and did a whole lot with a little.

Now a flying ship? Obviously a disconnect when you re staring at a static ship on the ground but hearing things flying.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

The more we sit around analyzing this land it’s kind of shocking how much they got wrong. Just simple basic things. I want to give imagineers the benefit of the doubt and say Chapek kept hacking away at the budget the whole way through and left them with their hands tied.

And depressing. And silent.

TROR

The more we sit around analyzing this land it’s kind of shocking how much they got wrong. Just simple basic things. I want to give imagineers the benefit of the doubt and say Chapek kept hacking away at the budget the whole way through and left them with their hands tied.
But we know that’s not the case. WDI has proven time and time again they’re incompetent, even admitting their starting point wasn’t making a good land but an immersive one.

RobWDW1971

But we know that’s not the case. WDI has proven time and time again they’re incompetent, even admitting their starting point wasn’t making a good land but an immersive one.

I knew I was in trouble when I saw a video of an imagineer smoking his own dope talking about "living your own adventure" and being an "entirely new theme park experience". Uh oh. Kind of like opening Animal Kingdom without signage to allow guests to "discover" everything. Who is in charge at WDI that doesn't call these people out on their nonsense?

"Hey, see what they did at Universal in their Harry Potter lands? Now do that and don't screw it up!"

tikiphil

It was explained in this post. The droids were cut due to puppeteer union costs.

socalifornian

It was explained in this post. The droids were cut due to puppeteer union costs.
Like the old Disney Jr. show

nevol

So sad/dumb that the droids were cut for that reason. It certainly wasn't a guest safety reason; they have buses, horse-drawn street cars, and fire trucks whizzing their way through main street all day. I was told that 150 million dollars were cut from the land about 2 years ago, but since the steel had already been ordered, the buildout is the closest thing to what they wanted out of all of it. Silly for WDI to put so much trust in operations/tda, and to build into the design necessary live entertainment to achieve land kinetics. They really thought Disneyland would hire a bunch of stunt performers to run along all of those balconies/archways all over the land? And god forbid they just had some colorful awnings in the marketplace to match the energy of the concept art. These are easy fixes... isn't that what a soft open is all about? The only fixes that won't be easy are structural. The cantina can't meet its own demand, yet there is so much dead open space elsewhere in the land.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So sad/dumb that the droids were cut for that reason. It certainly wasn't a guest safety reason; they have buses, horse-drawn street cars, and fire trucks whizzing their way through main street all day. I was told that 150 million dollars were cut from the land about 2 years ago, but since the steel had already been ordered, the buildout is the closest thing to what they wanted out of all of it. Silly for WDI to put so much trust in operations/tda, and to build into the design necessary live entertainment to achieve land kinetics. They really thought Disneyland would hire a bunch of stunt performers to run along all of those balconies/archways all over the land? And god forbid they just had some colorful awnings in the marketplace to match the energy of the concept art. These are easy fixes... isn't that what a soft open is all about? The only fixes that won't be easy are structural. The cantina can't meet its own demand, yet there is so much dead open space elsewhere in the land.
Don't worry its coming in Phase Two....

RobWDW1971

One thing other folks have talked about is that you're in a land being occupied by what are basically Nazis. Somewhat of a downer. If i ran into the real Kylo Ren, I would have to change my shorts.

If only they executed this that would have been cool. The only evidence of any "occupation" is a red Empire (or First Order whatever) flag and a Tie fighter. I don't think 80% of the guests even get that concept. The Tie fighter is just sitting there like the X Wing and Falcon. I saw two stormtroopers every once in a while so if you had ever felt Tomorrowland was "occupied" over the last few years when they walked around the Star Traders shop, then yeah.

Frankly, the procession of all the troopers and Phasma at DHS is MUCH more like an Empire (or whatever) occupation and show of force.

They need that in SWGE among many other droids, creatures, bounty hunters, life....

Rich T

Original Poster
...Frankly, the procession of all the troopers and Phasma at DHS is MUCH more like an Empire (or whatever) occupation and show of force.
They need that in SWGE among many other droids, creatures, bounty hunters, life....
I dunno...I was getting the impression that Iger's dream of a Star Wars land was basically just bleak, cold structures and expensive merchandise experiences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom