Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Bocabear

Then why does Disney rely on edited images to connect Walt to the Magic Kingdom? Why is the most detailed, published image related to the park from his lifetime an exact copy of Disneyland? The type of site work that began in the 60s doesn’t require much in the way of specifics.
They don't usually start any sort of site work until there are plans drawn up... Why would they bother to even begin clearing land if they did not know what they were building or where?
I would say then the equipment arrived, there had to be a great deal on paper....Permits had to be filed and approved...that sort of thing takes more than 6 months alone. The Magic Kingdom was part of Phase One... not a last minute add on after his death.

Club Cooloholic

I am glad this looks to be a false report. The Tiki Bird show is a family favorite, and we have seen it crowded in there. Years ago my mother would say it was such a waste of time, but that was probably after waiting in a long line
Usually, if you time it right, you can pop in just as they are filling the room, and we prefer the back row seats.
One last thing that made me think this was false, I have seen a resurgence in Tiki Bird merch for sale.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I am quoting from The Art Of Disney, Copyrite 1973:
"He (Walt Disney) died 6 months before the earth moving equipment arrived at the site, but he had already supervised the planning of Phase One down to the last detail and laid down the general principles for the development of the whole property"
In other words, He did know about the Magic Kingdom theme park and had a good idea of what it was to look like and what it was to contain. He died in 1966, 5 years before the park opened... It was not all designed after his death...
"general principles". The gist of what I've read previously (and I'll try to find the source) was that while the general layout and lands of the MK were close to what Walt envisioned, the original plans had almost exclusively unique attractions compared to DL.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
They don't usually start any sort of site work until there are plans drawn up... Why would they bother to even begin clearing land if they did not know what they were building or where?
I would say then the equipment arrived, there had to be a great deal on paper....Permits had to be filed and approved...that sort of thing takes more than 6 months alone. The Magic Kingdom was part of Phase One... not a last minute add on after his death.

Plus a lot of things I heard is that he let the other imagineers be in charge of what MK would become as he was focused on the EPCOT city plan, among other things like the Mineral King ski resort

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

And yet they are silent on the Country Bears rumor.... hmmmm 🤔 (all in fun... just poking the bear...)

cbsav

I hope this pushes people away from retweeting, following, spreading the rumors that un-named site sends out now....they're becoming extreme clickbait with an ever worsening track record.
Technically i don't think it's clickbait if the information is given away in the post... there wouldn't be any reason to click. Clickbait would have been 'RUMOR: You're never going to believe what is happening to the Tiki Birds' OR 'RUMOR: Moana is taking over a classic attraction. But which?'

Bocabear

"general principles". The gist of what I've read previously (and I'll try to find the source) was that while the general layout and lands of the MK were close to what Walt envisioned, the original plans had almost exclusively unique attractions compared to DL.
the "General Principles" Were the development of the rest of the property... He was involved in the details of Phase One...which included the Magic Kingdom park, 7 Seas Lagoon, the monorail system and ticket and transportation center and the two original hotels...
I have seen a lot of concept art and ideas over the years, but aside from basically what was built in 1971 and the Western River Expedition section, I don't know of the park having all original attractions.

trainplane3

I'm still in a holding pattern on whether to believe this rumor (because of it being reported by reliable sources in the past and present) or not but knowing I get to see Big T complain about being bullied on Twitter makes me smile.

FrankLapidus

As one would imagine, the usual suspect behind the site that can't be named wasn't too happy with Disney's post.

You could almost taste the salt of his tears in his response.

It's the "most unprofessional statement that company has released in its history", apparently - someone doesn't like public embarrassment. Might be an idea for them to be a bit more particular about their sources in future.

Musical Mermaid

One last thing that made me think this was false, I have seen a resurgence in Tiki Bird merch for sale.

There is a lot of Enchanted Tiki Room merchandise and because I keep seeing new things, that leads me to believe it’s doing well. I’ve seen so many dresses come and go at the Dress Shop and they’re still selling the original Tiki Birds one. They also recently came out with a cute Tiki Bird umbrella and raincoat.

I don’t recall what the last piece of Country Bears merchandise was, but I’m guessing it doesn’t sell as well. Given the choice between the 2 of them, I prefer the Enchanted Tiki Room, but I’d still be sad to see an original WDW attraction replaced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom