Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

ToTBellHop

Disneyland has a certain charm that is indeed hard to explain, but you definitely feel it once you walk under the bridge and onto Main Street.

Disneyland Parc, surprisingly, has some of that charm as well, or at least it did for me. You'll hopefully understand what I'm talking about next year. :)

I'll believe any rumor about the Tiki Room once it closes, or once a certain few insiders say something's definitely happening with it.
Nothing is definite until they actually start building. But folks should prepare themselves for the possibility of both CBJ and ETR closing. Would I plan a trip to see them imminently? No. But if you’re going anyway, perhaps don’t say “we will see the birds and the bears next time” as you head to BTMRR for the fourth time.

MK’s wide open MSUSA has all the charm of 5th Ave in NYC.

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
I only remember that I thought is was annoying and a waste of time. I know it was one of Walt's favorite things but not mine.
That's fair and I'm sure there are many guests that share your thoughts on it as well. I know there are many of my family members that wouldn't give two pennies on this attraction. Nobody needs to like 100% of everything in MK. I guess the purpose of these discussions is how can we balance the old with the new?

Bocabear

My understanding is Walt didn’t want WDW to be a copy of Disneyland, so my point is more that people who want shows to stay over some connection to the founder of the company are misunderstanding his dreams for the Florida project.

I understand everyone’s feelings of nostalgia. Again, I’d be devastated if HM left. Disney has been removing classics for decades, however. I don’t believer there should be a certain age beyond which an attraction is untouchable.
I am not so sure that is true...while I don't think he intended the park top be a carbon copy of Disneyland it is certainly based on the same park he built but larger and grander.
With a little bit of plussing of the special effects, the Enchanted Tiki Room could be relevant again...It is also a respite from the craziness of the day... Something that exists merely to be beautiful and enchanting....which it is.
Don't like it? Go get back in line for Monsters Inc. Laff Floor or Buzz Lightyear. Not everything in the park needs to be a Roller Coaster, video comedy show or a shoot 'em up arcade ride...

ToTBellHop

I am not so sure that is true...while I don't think he intended the park top be a carbon copy of Disneyland it is certainly based on the same park he built but larger and grander.
With a little bit of plussing of the special effects, the Enchanted Tiki Room could be relevant again...It is also a respite from the craziness of the day... Something that exists merely to be beautiful and enchanting....which it is.
Don't like it? Go get back in line for Monsters Inc. Laff Floor or Buzz Lightyear. Not everything in the park needs to be a Roller Coaster, video comedy show or a shoot 'em up arcade ride...
Wasn’t the image of DL’s map included in the FL Project image begrudgingly when others convinced Walt that Disney World needed a Magic Kingdom? I don’t believe he wanted another one in FL. Just EPCOT. Then he died and they decided to stick with what they knew and built MK.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I
IIRC Walt originally wanted MK to be almost a completely different park. He didn't want much duplication. Things changed after his death.

FrankLapidus

I'm sure some will spin this as great because "change is good" and "replacing the original attractions is progress" or something along those lines (I'm certain one particular poster is already doing that), but that's all rubbish.

Like CBJ, if that is true, this isn't a good move at all - "celebrating" the 50th anniversary of WDW by getting rid of classic attractions is the most abhorrently stupid idea I think I've ever heard when it comes to WDW, and we've all heard some ridiculous ideas where the parks are concerned.

Bob Chapek is an idiot. CBJ and the Tiki Room should not be going anywhere. This nonsensical practice of replacing existing attractions rather than building new ones and making use of that fabled "blessing of size" to expand the park is garbage.

Hopefully this is all more rubbish from a shoddy website that seems suspiciously desperate for a bit of attention.

ToTBellHop

I'm sure some will spin this as great because "change is good" and "replacing the original attractions is progress" or something along those lines (I'm certain one particular poster is already doing that), but that's all rubbish.

Like CBJ, if that is true, this isn't a good move at all - "celebrating" the 50th anniversary of WDW by getting rid of classic attractions is the most abhorrently stupid idea I think I've ever heard when it comes to WDW, and we've all heard some ridiculous ideas where the parks are concerned.

Bob Chapek is an idiot. CBJ and the Tiki Room should not be going anywhere. This nonsensical practice of replacing existing attractions rather than building new ones and making use of that fabled "blessing of size" to expand the park is garbage.

Hopefully this is all more rubbish from a shoddy website that seems suspiciously desperate for a bit of attention.
And yet Bob is still in charge and has a history of replacing old attractions with IP-based ones. What do you expect from him going forward?

kpilcher

I have NEVER seen a more forceful denial of a rumor by Disney, and I've been at this since before WDW's 20th.

"We’re sorry that our fans are being fed incorrect information by unscrupulous sources."

LaughingGravy

One would think that with all of the D23, etc. that they(Chapek, Iger, and anyone who reports to them)listen to all of those folks that are clearly willing to pay extra bucks just to attend those events, on top of what I am pretty confident they spend on admission tickets, hotels, and other merchandise.
We just went to Disneyland last month. It was awesome. I could go on for many pages.
Their maxpass/fastpass system there is for people actually entering the park that day, not the silliness of this reserving a ride time months in advance. It was really great. Yes, we paid for the Maxpass.
We went before SW:GE opened up because Star Wars isn't Disney to us and never will be, anymore than Marvel.
It's OK. We've seen most of the movies (of course favoring the original trilogy). But, it ain't Disney.

With all of the possibilities for Star Wars- Ice World Hoth, Dagobah (Yoda swamp), Imperial whatever ( Death Star, Star Destroyer, etc), Tattooine, Endor, Coruscant, and others I am likely not aware of-('cause I just don't care) they probably would have done better to make a new park with those lands or similar.
There is a mega huge following of Star Wars for many more years and generations than Harry Potter and a lot more in the way of books, etc.
It seems silly to buy Star Wars like they did and then do the equivalent of just one of the Harry Potter parks that is a large chunk of the current success of Uni.
It seems like they bought Star Wars and then did more with Avatar, a now dated and originally very predictable movie that a lot of kids going have probably not seen.

WDW's mess that it is now is why we flew out to California. DL is great on its own,anyway.
But, if WDW didn't let so many things go, we would have put our money there in Florida. It's a lot closer.
I have a somewhat lengthy writeup in the "price us out of the kingdom" thread, and that's only some of it.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ice-us-out-of-the-kingdom.955618/post-8750299

I left out a bunch of things that they just let go/abandoned/ cheaped out / modified to garbage that we all know about.
For Epcot, OK, they are finally re-doing the Future World Entrance area, but it took how many years of garbage ( LAL tombstones, destruction of the SE fountain) for it to happen.

If CBJ goes, it's another reason not to come back. Really and truly.
When they did the Christmas overlay back in the day, it was a reason for us to come back, because we didn't want to miss it.

lazyboy97o

Disney told the Orlando Sentinel that PUSH was not leaving the parks the day before announcing that PUSH would no longer be in the parks.

Bocabear

I

IIRC Walt originally wanted MK to be almost a completely different park. He didn't want much duplication. Things changed after his death.
I am quoting from The Art Of Disney, Copyrite 1973:
"He (Walt Disney) died 6 months before the earth moving equipment arrived at the site, but he had already supervised the planning of Phase One down to the last detail and laid down the general principles for the development of the whole property"
In other words, He did know about the Magic Kingdom theme park and had a good idea of what it was to look like and what it was to contain. He died in 1966, 5 years before the park opened... It was not all designed after his death...

lazyboy97o

I am quoting from The Art Of Disney, Copyrite 1973:
"He (Walt Disney) died 6 months before the earth moving equipment arrived at the site, but he had already supervised the planning of Phase One down to the last detail and laid down the general principles for the development of the whole property"
In other words, He did know about the Magic Kingdom theme park and had a good idea of what it was to look like and what it was to contain. He died in 1966, 5 years before the park opened... It was not all designed after his death...
Then why does Disney rely on edited images to connect Walt to the Magic Kingdom? Why is the most detailed, published image related to the park from his lifetime an exact copy of Disneyland? The type of site work that began in the 60s doesn’t require much in the way of specifics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom