Disney dining plan went up

mdcpr

Original Poster
I don't know when this happened, but it looks like the dining plan is going up in Jan 2020. Big increases all around!

Disstevefan1

It was last week. The dining plan went up the same week the annual passes price skyrocketed, the same week the resort parking went up, the same week the "save the planet" shopping bag price went up.

There may have been other price increases, I just can't think of them now

mdcpr

Original Poster
It was last week. The dining plan went up the same week the annual passes price skyrocketed, the same week the resort parking went up, the same week the "save the planet" shopping bag price went up.

There may have been other price increases, I just can't think of them now
Wow! I wonder if they will get rid of Free Dining.

Kingoglow

Wow! I wonder if they will get rid of Free Dining.

For now, that is doubtful.
So many people buy up the DDP without doing the math to see if it is a value compared to how they eat. They just assume that it will be a great deal.

As long as Disney continues to come out ahead, they will continue selling DDP.

mdcpr

Original Poster
So many people buy up the DDP without doing the math to see if it is a value compared to how they eat. They just assume that it will be a great deal.

That make sense. When I was looking at the DDP, a lot of people here told me it was a great deal. When I did the numbers of how my family eats, I would end up saving like $200 by not doing it. This 'pay for convenience' can end up being pricier.

mdcpr

Original Poster
I have heard from good sources there will be NO FREE DINING this fall.
It makes sense. WDW is going through a transformation where the price increase aligns to redefining their brand as a 'luxury brand' that not everyone can afford, and those that can are the wealthy few. It shows in their development of new resorts, new experiences and new price-points.

mdcpr

Original Poster
Highly highly unlikely at this point.
They are raising prices to help with crowd control.
This has already started working.
The less people go the more the discounts will come out.
I don't think that's the strategy. Discounts will happen, but few and far between. Discounts can also cheapen a brand, and I really think, as I mentioned to someone else, they are in a transformational phase.

Hockey89

Agreed... There is no way Disney doesn't crush the DDP or they would have stopped... Plus, silly people want to help cash flow...

Ricky Spanish

We had considered buying the DDP for the trip that we just took.
It would have cost about $1500 for the three of us on the QS plan, two adults and a teenager.
After the trip, I added up all my receipts.
We actually spent $800 on food at WDW.
Ate everything we wanted and shared a lot of meals because we feel that some meals are enough for two.
Glad we didn't spend the extra $700.

Hockey89

It would have cost about $1500 for the three of us on the QS plan, two adults and a teenager.
Ate everything we wanted and shared a lot of meals because we feel that some meals are enough for two.
Disney is very disappointed in you.

mdcpr

Original Poster
When I estimated how much money we would save by NOT doing the DDP, it came up to be about $500. People really fall for this 'convenience.'

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I have heard from good sources there will be NO FREE DINING this fall.

That is likely the case.
The reason is likely due to the shift in crowds though.
FD had been a couple week in August, most of September, a few days here and there in November, and a couple weeks in December.
This year its most of July, August, and September.
So if you add up the amount of dates FD is offered this year its likely comparable to previous years just the dates have shifted more towards summer because they don't need to offer discounts in the fall due to people already planning on going in the fall.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I don't think that's the strategy. Discounts will happen, but few and far between. Discounts can also cheapen a brand, and I really think, as I mentioned to someone else, they are in a transformational phase.

I've seen a lot of transitions on my days going to Disney.
In the last few years the parks have become more and more crowded during what were traditional slow times.
Disney is trying to more evenly distribute crowds and even lower them a bit by raising the prices.
Once they notice a lull especially in on property stays the discounts come rolling in.

I'll add what I said to another poster... FD likely won't be offered this fall but thats due to the shift in crowds in the last few years.
I'd never have thought FD would be offered July 5th! But here we are because crowds have shifted from summer to fall.

mdcpr

Original Poster
I've seen a lot of transitions on my days going to Disney.
In the last few years the parks have become more and more crowded during what were traditional slow times.
Disney is trying to more evenly distribute crowds and even lower them a bit by raising the prices.
Once they notice a lull especially in on property stays the discounts come rolling in.

I'll add what I said to another poster... FD likely won't be offered this fall but thats due to the shift in crowds in the last few years.
I'd never have thought FD would be offered July 5th! But here we are because crowds have shifted from summer to fall.
Global warming! Too hot to be in FLin the summer.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
BTW the dining plan is not right for everyone.
If its not right for you then don't add it.
Its always a no duh when its offered for free in my opinion and experience but if I pay full price then I usually end up not getting it and don't plan on TS meals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom