News Main Street Cinema Chapeked - UPDATE!!

choco choco

Who buys all this stuff? Is there any product in this stand that they couldn't fit anywhere else?

I don't understand the mindset of merchandising people. Are they saying that people are more willing to buy because the Main Street Cinema makes it more enticing than the Main Street Emporium? If not, why not just leave it in Main Street Emporium?

I've gone to Disneyland more times than I can count. I've been to Disneyworld multiple times. I've been to Tokyo's parks. I've done their cruises. I don't think I own a single piece of merchandise from any of those places.

Magenta Panther

Interesting that Fox News thought this story was worthy of a web article.

The underlying reason for concern here is understandable and warranted. That said, as someone who can't just go into a Disney park whenever they feel like it, I am not going to spend my limited theme park time watching cartoons I can watch at home unless it's oppressively hot or rainy....maybe.

Glad Fox News wrote a story on it. It is very highly-rated and it's good that Chapek's greed got a national showcase. Now if only Fox would write a story about the Yeti and the generally crappy upkeep attractions like The Tower are getting...

SteamboatJoe

Glad Fox News wrote a story on it. It is very highly-rated and it's good that Chapek's greed got a national showcase. Now if only Fox would write a story about the Yeti and the generally crappy upkeep attractions like The Tower are getting...
It would be amusing if an unintended consequence of the Galaxys Edge promo push resulted in the non-ABC news media catching whiff of some of these tangential fan gripes and publicizing them; thereby creating a national narrative that the Disney theme parks have lost their way. Something like that could actually force some changes for the better, but I won't hold my breath.

Magenta Panther

It would be amusing if an unintended consequence of the Galaxys Edge promo push resulted in the non-ABC news media catching whiff of some of these tangential fan gripes and publicizing them; thereby creating a national narrative that the Disney theme parks have lost their way. Something like that could actually force some changes for the better, but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, unfortunately, the Iger regime seems to be shame-proof. I recall that an Orlando newspaper ran a story about "disco Yeti" some years ago, and all the Iger cartel did was get defensive about it. It did nothing otherwise. I can't wait for that cement-head to leave the company. I'd settle for Eisner coming back, frankly. Yeah, I know, but at least he seemed to actually LIKE Disney for reasons aside from profit...

SteamboatJoe

Yeah, unfortunately, the Iger regime seems to be shame-proof. I recall that an Orlando newspaper ran a story about "disco Yeti" some years ago, and all the Iger cartel did was get defensive about it. It did nothing otherwise. I can't wait for that cement-head to leave the company. I'd settle for Eisner coming back, frankly. Yeah, I know, but at least he seemed to actually LIKE Disney for reasons aside from profit...
He at least seemed to be interested in the parks....for better or for worse.

SteamboatJoe

He still answers to the Board and he has people under him that he can shove onto the sword if necessary. Again, unlikely to happen but an interesting outcome to speculate about on an internet forum.

TrainsOfDisney

For Mickey’s Birthday they could have redone the cinema, switched it to one screen for Steamboat Willie only, added a few cases of “historical artifacts” and then add a special wall of unique to the cinema merchandise celebrating... oh I don’t know.... the anniversary of Mickey in Cinema?

That would have been a win-win for everyone and made them more money in the end.

TP2000

For all that he did and didn't do in his post, it will never cease to amaze me how he never really recovered from being called an "oddly waifish man of anemic personality" in that (Wall Street Journal??) article by Gary Snyder circa 2015. The article was structured around Iger's (lack of) succession plans, and was only online for like 3 days before being suspiciously deleted from the entire internet. Considering that there were any number of worthwhile things to dislike about the guy, it's fascinating to me that's what stuck with most people.

"oddly waifish man of anemic personality"

Oh, gosh, I'd forgotten about that! You're right, that Journal article really did seem to track his career trajectory accurately. Looking at photos and some video, it appears to be a fairly accurate description of Mr. Staggs.

According to Wikipedia, he was Parks Chairman from 2010 to 2015. then promoted to Disney's Chief Operating Officer in February, 2015. He was invited to leave Disney only 14 months later, departing in April, 2016. Talk about a weird and sudden turn.

A Google search shows he was rumored to become the head of CBS this past December, but that apparently never happened.

vancee

I think I've only been in there once or twice (oops!), so I don't get all the outrage because it seems like it's the same thing just with some merchandise.

Animaniac93-98

Man I hate the names you can call people online without having to say it to their faces.

Oh yes, those poor Disney executives who have nothing to comfort them from the wrath of online bullies besides their salaries, benefits, golden parachutes and complimentary valet parking.

Let's all pass around the collection plate and send our thoughts and prayers. ;)

clarabellej

This.
All of it.
I have always seen it the exact same way.
Glad to see I am not alone.

This is why the Main Street Cinema is a important feature of the Park.
It's a gentle and reflective reminder of where Disneyland 'came from'.
That fact needs to be respected.

Shoving a bunch of unrelated, generic DLR merchandise in there shows no respect to that space.
Even more 'proof' today's Disney has lost sight of its true roots.
:(

( rant mode now switched on....you have been forewarned )

Every freakin' public space or Guest area at Disneyland does not need to have a merch table hawking wares.
There are already several dozen speciality shops, carts, gift plazas, emporiums, pin stands, and souvenir spots present...and many of them already on Main Street in the immediate area.
The Park is already utterly overflowing with every kind of t-shirt, plush, book, and knick knack one can think of and then some.
We don't need MORE places for Guests to buy stuff, exspecially the same stuff that is already readily availible literally right next door!
:mad:

I would like to know who came up with the suggestion to stick a merch stand in the Main Street Cinema.
WHY was it even discussed among the brass at TDA to follow through with this idea ?
Do they really feel this space needs to be 'filled' with something more appealing for today's Guest?
Do they really think this is what Guests want...?
Are they so clueless as to what those 'boring old cartoons' mean and represent to the WDC's history that a need was felt to 'enhance' it?
What about this little thing called 'Attraction variety' and 'the quality of the Guest Experience'?

This just smacks of a shallow mentality.
Utterly, outrageously STUPID move.
This is right up there with the recent decision to show contemporary marketing movie trailers in the Opera House instead of the historic ( and unique) Animatronic presentation with Mr. Lincoln.

I do hope it's temporary.
Let's hope so.

On a more cheerful note -

Love the title of this thread.
So incredibly appropriate.

-
<Every freakin' public space or Guest area at Disneyland does not need to have a merch table hawking wares>

OMG, that is so true!! Maybe Project Stardust should have gotten rid of a bunch of the junky merchandise to allow more room for the crowds expected for Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom