News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

trainplane3

I looked at it awhile back. Though I can’t see myself spending long hours tweaking design elements like I could with RCTs.

I’ll check it out 😉
Parkitect might be more your thing then. I haven't picked it up yet but it's much, much closer to RCT while letting you do a bit more with the rides but not requiring all the tweaking. Or just install RCT2 and then install Open RCT2 on top of it and have the most extreme version of RCT ever.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Just thinking out loud here... What are the chances of Disney increasing the gift card for foregoing housekeeping from $10 to $15 a day? I mean increases work both ways, right? Or is that going to be the only reduction they announce?

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Nobody said anything about catastrophic, but you did say "Disney Parks did just fine." Attendance dropped considerably. Not as bad as after 9/11, which at the time caused the cancellation of (already in progress) resort expansion at Pop Century - and other capital expenditures. As @MansionButler84 also pointed out:
I just posted their operating income. They did do just fine, earning $1.4B in their worst year during that period. That was only a 25% drop and all things considered, was admirable and absolutely the definition of doing “just fine.”

It also had almost everything to do with the global economy and not Disney’s pricing strategy.

dizneeboy

I have the premier passport and blown away by the increases lately. After the previous increase, I renewed reluctantly in February this year knowing I was running the dopey in 2020 and would be visiting both costs a couple of times for scheduled events. I think this last increase pushes me over the galaxy's edge finally, lol ; )

If I lived near one of the locations and could pop in more often without staying at a hotel, I think the non premier passports are still a good value for what you have access to. Living in the middle of the country, I just can't justify it any longer with the increased hotel and air fare prices on top. For 2-3 visits a year for rundisney races, it used to make sense to invest but not anymore. I do understand that annual passes aren't geared for those of us that have to fly in but wow. 2010 Premier passport to both coasts ($700), 2019 ($2099). Quite the increase in 9 years. I suppose my new once every couple of years visits will mean more now.

BoarderPhreak

I just posted their operating income. They did do just fine, earning $1.4B in their worst year during that period. That was only a 25% drop and all things considered, was admirable and absolutely the definition of doing “just fine.”

It also had almost everything to do with the global economy and not Disney’s pricing strategy.
All things considered, sure - they did "fine." As good as could be hoped, really; and of course it had to do with the economy. But don't underestimate the impact of a "mere" 25% drop. Look at all the little tweaks they're constantly doing these days to better the bottom line and increase profits at (almost) all costs. Every nickel and dime is fought for.

GordonR

Dear Walt,

We need an option for overseas visitors who do an AP for 25-30 days of park time a year. New numbers just don’t work and a lot of people will have to cut down visits , ie less spend !

Overseas GOLD, or 30 day annual pass to be used over a year, not from first use.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can anyone explain to me why only Florida residents are offered multiple types of APs unlike Universal who offers all AP types to everyone?
Disney has always priced and marketed wdw products by “market segments”...they use their impressive data collecting and analysis skills to maximize return by customizing products to certain clientele.

One of things about Florida residents is that they use them depending on the overall picture. In good times, they don’t Much care for them. Not a huge score for them when people will flood.

On the other hand...when the stock market melts and things suck for 2-4 years...”we love ya, Florida!” It’s an important economic backstop.

The overall premise of limited use but cheaper Florida resident passes is that it maintains the “sense” that it’s a great deal for locals...even if it isn’t. It comes in very handy for those “downtimes”

You offer those to everyone and a new type of customer could develop: essentially non-full price weekly travelers. They don’t want that...putting the screws to out of state APs is in line with that. They very likely regret early vacation club too.

It’s far easier to promise your board and stock holders that the majority of your visitors can be guaranteed at FULL price. It’s easier to make money off nothing (stocks) when you can claim victory and be usually right in advance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Dear Walt,

We need an option for overseas visitors who do an AP for 25-30 days of park time a year. New numbers just don’t work and a lot of people will have to cut down visits , ie less spend !

Overseas GOLD, or 30 day annual pass to be used over a year, not from first use.

I gotta be honest, why on earth would they do that??

Well maybe it’s the cultural differences: see here in Merica’, if you run business where you rip off your customers - you are lauded and given awards. If you rip off the customers AND Employees...you get appointed to the board of directors of Fortune 500 companies!

So some of the goals are to get us to buy what we don’t use. Like gift cards - dumbest idea ever. But it works.

So why isn’t Disney making you buy a 365 pass for your 14 day holiday?
Cause there is no reason for them not to. Until you stop coming and give them one.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

All things considered, sure - they did "fine." As good as could be hoped, really; and of course it had to do with the economy. But don't underestimate the impact of a "mere" 25% drop. Look at all the little tweaks they're constantly doing these days to better the bottom line and increase profits at (almost) all costs. Every nickel and dime is fought for.
Since then, Parks have been an incredible business almost every quarter.

Polite

I love the roll you’re on here...

Except this. DCL can never be held up as a “good deal”. No sir. It’s one of the most overpriced travel items on the entire planet.

Considering what can be bought for far less from the competitors...dcl is just not happening on that front.

As far as prices/APs goes...I’ll just use this as an anecdote. In 2015 I had a royal Caribbean point score (nights traveled) of 7...by February of 2020 I’ll have something like 49? My kids will have in the high 30s.

Who paid the price for a lot of those days? That would be the Walt Disney company. It’s more than JUST the bob’s prices...but that contribution cannot be marginalized.
Say what you will about DCL but they have what, 3 new ships coming out over the next 3 years? Business must be doing pretty well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since then, Parks have been an incredible business almost every quarter.
But not because of new attendance or merch sales - which are by far the highest profits.

It’s more this ambiguous “per guest spending”

What does that mean? I’ll translate: price increases across the board. Diminished returns for every product to the customers.

That is a supremely dangerous situation in a recession...one Disney used to actively guard against with programs like aps, DVC and Florida residents - ironically

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Say what you will about DCL but they have what, 3 new ships coming out over the next 3 years? Business must be doing pretty well.

It’s a cash captive and Stockholm syndrome audience. The product is just average with the other big carriers.

What they were smart about is keeping the fleet small. Royal has like 35+ ships...celebrity in the 15 range...

Disney has done well to hold their price by cautious expansion. Very wise for sure.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
But not because of new attendance of merch sales - which are by far the highest profits.

It’s more this ambiguous “per guest spending”

What does that mean? I’ll translate: price increases across the board. Diminished returns for every product to the customers.

That is a supremely dangerous situation in a recession...one Disney used to actively guard against with programs like aps, DVC and Florida residents - ironically

Unfortunately DVC is a captive audience. Selling your interest is not a quick task. Disney knows that their AP guest is quite committed (willingly or unwillingly) and are relying on their reluctance to abandon the platform.

Polite

It’s a cash captive and Stockholm syndrome audience. The product is just average with the other big carriers.

What they were smart about is keeping the fleet small. Royal has like 35+ ships...celebrity in the 15 range...

Disney has done well to hold their price by cautious expansion. Very wise for sure.
I can't personally speak to the quality of other cruise lines, I just went on my first cruise this year and it was with Disney. My dad has been on too many Carnival cruises, followed up with numerous Royal Caribbean cruises, and his NCL count is starting to get up there now too. He joined me on my first cruise this year, which also happened to be his first DCL cruise. He said, he personally felt it was his best cruise he has ever been on and noticed a difference in the quality of the ship and its cleanliness (We were on the Dream), food, customer service, and entertainment. With this being our first DCL cruise, I don't think there is a Stockholm syndrome but to each his/her own.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can't personally speak to the quality of other cruise lines, I just went on my first cruise this year and it was with Disney. My dad has been on too many Carnival cruises, followed up with numerous Royal Caribbean cruises, and his NCL count is starting to get up there now too. He joined me on my first cruise this year, which also happened to be his first DCL cruise. He said, he personally felt it was his best cruise he has ever been on and noticed a difference in the quality of the ship and its cleanliness (We were on the Dream), food, customer service, and entertainment. With this being our first DCL cruise, I don't think there is a Stockholm syndrome but to each his/her own.

I’ve been on quite a few. Some of the lines - carnival in particular - are down due to lack of investment as the cruise industry was down for 10+ years. Service on Norwegian sucks...

Others like celebrity and princess are definitely superior to Disney but at a premium. Still less than Disney though.

I’m a big fan of what royal Caribbean is doing. They’re new ships and enhancement programs are amazing. Coco cay just opened and looks to easily top castaway.

Disney is a good line. Ships are great. I’d say the food is average...solid but they are falling behind bigtime as the competitors continue to add much more specialty dining.

The problem with Disney is the price. It’s often 2x more and they can’t make up for that kinda value for quality gap.

Just me

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unfortunately DVC is a captive audience. Selling your interest is not a quick task. Disney knows that their AP guest is quite committed (willingly or unwillingly) and are relying on their reluctance to abandon the platform.

No disagreement.

None. I reject any ideas for “consideration” of DVC. We sold ourselves long ago for cheaper rooms. Fair trade in my book.

Those that buy now? Yeah...got some bad news on that front...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Florida Resident Disney Platinum Pass – Renewal went from
$619.00+$40.24tax=$659.24 ($54.94/month 0% financed) to
$764.00+$49.66tax=$813.66 ($67.81/month 0% financed), which I just bought (unfortunately)
in the future, I will renew exactly the moment my 60 day renewal period starts, too bad they don't grandfather the old renewal prices in for those within their renewal window. I also wish DVC members (who have NO monthly payment option) got a discount for paying it all up front (which saves Disney a lot of money managing their 0% financing, not to mention the interest gained)

I highlighted the part that explains why that price will be higher...in the future

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom