Is It Just Me, or Do Omnimovers Stop a Lot More Than They Used To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolynesianPrincess

There are the double turn wheels at each terminus station. Cabins for loading or unloading ECVs, wheelchairs and even strollers (if the adult is nervy) will be pulled onto the second wheel. They can take as long as they like without affecting the rest of the line, and are just inserted back onto the line when ready, in the gaps left by those pulled off.

I wondered how this was going to work. Thanks for the explanation!

Smiley/OCD

We had “ride stops” during our June trip at the following attractions: Spaceship earth, The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, The Gran Fiesta Tour, Under the Sea, Peoplemover, Pirate of the Carribean, and it’s a small world.
I’m beginning to think the same... this is getting a little ridiculous. I’m not in favor of denying access but something needs to be done and I don’t know the solution. Can you imagine how often the Skyliner is going to stop?

Edit: one other item that drove me up a wall during our last trip. We were exiting MK after HEA and in line to board the bus to Y&BC. The line was at least two bus full deep and we were towards the front and an empty bus was approaching. Just as the bus parked a party of four with one on a scooter drove right around the queue and parked right in front of the door where the ramp deploys. The driver of the bus deploys the ramp and the lady in the scooter and her family (assuming) of four board the bus. Once we boarded the bus we noticed several other riders giving the party a hard time because they seemed to use the scooter as a FP. Worse yet... when the bus arrived at YC THE LADY WALKED OFF THE BUS and all the way through the hotel while another guest in the party took the scooter. I didn’t say a word but I felt bad for all those people that had to wait for another bus due to the scooter family. It just seems wrong to me and I’m sure it happens quite a bit.
I have to use an ECV and you're absolutely right...that was just plain WRONG...I would have said something, but that's just me. I people like HER that give people like ME, who need one a bad name.

Actually I would argue it is they who are selfish. If you know you cannot physically walk around because of age, that should be a sign somewhere like the Magic Kingdom is not the place for you 🤔
If you know you cannot handle a diverse population of people enjoying something they likely saved up a long time for no matter their age or ability/disability, that should be a sign that somewhere like Disney World is not the place for you.

Goofyernmost

In theory that makes sense but I’ll reserve my final judgement until I see it executed when it opens. I still think the thing is going to be absolute flop and Disney will regret it a couple years after opening it.
I'll take that bet.. I see it as a huge success and will be utilized in many more places in WDW. You just don't understand how it works. Go to the Gondola thread in News and Rumors and you will find the entire explanation there. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation-disney-skyliner.924477

Chef Mickey

It’s poorly managed, but there are more obese people than ever too. It is what it is.

Don’t jump all over me either. It’s just a fact supported by numbers. There are more obese people than 30 years ago and I’d estimate AT LEAST over 70% of people in scooters are not physically or mentally disabled. They are just big and can’t or would rather not walk around the parks as a result of their weight.

Disney should do loading at specified times or something. Anything is better than stopping as needed to load a wheelchair transfer.

Yert3

Original Poster
I’d estimate AT LEAST over 70% of people in scooters are not physically or mentally disabled. They are just big and can’t or would rather not walk around the parks as a result of their weight.
I’ve thought of that. I’ve always wondered why they don’t take to opportunity to get some exercise. For me, instead of walking on the treadmill, I’ll go the parks just to get some exercise. World Showcase is a phenomenal place to walk laps. This guy lost 40 lbs walking at Disney. Of course he went 2000 days in a row, whereas I go about once or twice a week, but whatever.

nickys

Premium Member
HOW? THAT IS HOW FASTPASS WORKS? SO IF A HANDICAP PERSON GETS A FASTPASS AND HAS TO COME BACK AT A CERTAIN TIME THAT IS AGAINST ADA??? PSSSSH

1. Please stop shouting, you have your caps lock key on.

2. That is how the old system worked, where they handed out a return time based on the wait time. However, the new system is the DAS, which does not include physical disabilities.

3. The FP+ system no longer works like that, you do not get FPs issued on the spot.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

2. That is how the old system worked, where they handed out a return time based on the wait time. However, the new system is the DAS, which does not include physical disabilities.

3. The FP+ system no longer works like that, you do not get FPs issued on the spot.
1. ALL CAPS DOES NOT MEAN A PERSON IS YELLING. NO ENGLISH CLASS IN ALL OF AMERICA TEACHES THAT. THAT IS JUST SOME STUPID INTERNET WAY OF INTERPRETING IT. I HAVE CAPS LOCK ON FOR MY JOB AND I COME ON HERE MAINLY WHEN I AM AT WORK AND IT IS EASIER TO LEAVE IT ON.
2. PSSSSSH TO ALL YOUR OTHER POINTS

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

and you are wrong. fastpass still gives you a scheduled time to come back if you go up to one of the fast pass kiosks and scan your ticket. sure you can pre select your time with max pass or whatever but it is still the same thing. you are being told to come back at a scheduled time so my original point stands. na na na na

nickys

Premium Member
and you are wrong. fastpass still gives you a scheduled time to come back if you go up to one of the fast pass kiosks and scan your ticket. sure you can pre select your time with max pass or whatever but it is still the same thing. you are being told to come back at a scheduled time so my original point stands. na na na na

Except I thought we were talking about WDW, so no MaxPass.
And you can only select an FP time if an FP is available.
And even then, that would then hold up the ride whilst they load at their FP time, so we’re back to the original complaint.

nickys

Premium Member
1. ALL CAPS DOES NOT MEAN A PERSON IS YELLING. NO ENGLISH CLASS IN ALL OF AMERICA TEACHES THAT. THAT IS JUST SOME STUPID INTERNET WAY OF INTERPRETING IT. I HAVE CAPS LOCK ON FOR MY JOB AND I COME ON HERE MAINLY WHEN I AM AT WORK AND IT IS EASIER TO LEAVE IT ON.
2. PSSSSSH TO ALL YOUR OTHER POINTS

I wasn’t aware English classes in America taught internet etiquette.

I can only sympathise with anyone you have to email at work then. An all caps email coming to me will be binned without reading, no exceptions!

epcotisbest

Except I thought we were talking about WDW, so no MaxPass.
And you can only select an FP time if an FP is available.
And even then, that would then hold up the ride whilst they load at their FP time, so we’re back to the original complaint.

You gotta lotta nerve discussing WDW in a WDW forum. Whatsmatta you anyway? And internet etiquette only applies on the internet, not here.

piglet21

Well what a travesty that would be 🤷‍♂️
It WOULD be a travesty. I work as a school psychologist with special education students, many of whom would be causing these short, periodic stoppages and all I have to say, which I say to my regular ed 3rd-6th graders all the time, is “fair isn’t equal”. Sorry. You might not like it, but people, regardless of disability, have the same right to enjoy attractions as the rest of us. They paid the same admission price as you and have the right to experience the attraction at whatever the hell time they want and Disney makes sure they get to experience the attractions and provides the accommodations necessary to do so. I hope that if you ever become disabled or are traveling with someone with a disability that those traveling around you have more compassion than you’ve displayed here. No one needs to feel singled out and like a burden for having a disability.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Another example of Me Me Me attitude
That coin has two sides.

If Grandpa can't get out of the omnimover and navigate the moving sidewalk without stopping the ride, maybe he shouldn't be on the ride.

So it looks to me like the current crop of seniors clogging up the omnimovers have the "me-me-me" attitude.

Trust me... when I can't safely navigate the Perils of Peter Pan, I won't be riding it. When the plausible outcome of pirouetting onto a Pirate pirogue is a pratfall, I'll prefer avoiding it like the plague. And when It's A Small World turns into It's A Fall World, I'll keep my rear up on the street and out of the boat, thank you.

Last edited:

Kingoglow

It WOULD be a travesty. I work as a school psychologist with special education students, many of whom would be causing these short, periodic stoppages and all I have to say, which I say to my regular ed 3rd-6th graders all the time, is “fair isn’t equal”. Sorry. You might not like it, but people, regardless of disability, have the same right to enjoy attractions as the rest of us. They paid the same admission price as you and have the right to experience the attraction at whatever the hell time they want and Disney makes sure they get to experience the attractions and provides the accommodations necessary to do so. I hope that if you ever become disabled or are traveling with someone with a disability that those traveling around you have more compassion than you’ve displayed here. No one needs to feel singled out and like a burden for having a disability.

Gotta disagree.
Regardless of what you do for a living, the fact that one single person unable to transfer themselves can disrupt the experience for 300+ people (ride depending) is not an acceptable solution. Not to mention how ride stoppages back up the ques outside the ride; which can have lasting affects for the rest of the day.

It is not right. And it is neither fair nor equal.

Disney is fully to blame though. Although, admittedly, I am not a fan of every piece of the ADA legislation. Disney is the one responsible, so says the government anyway, so they need to do a better job of solving for the issue of disabled people not transferring in a more creative way; one that wont disrupt the park for the entire day.

I hope that if you ever become disabled or are traveling with someone with a disability that those traveling around you have more compassion than you’ve displayed here.

Ya, ya, ya. This is always the voodoo, gypsy-curse that you try to lay on people that think differently than you. "I CURSE YOU TO THE END OF DAYS WITH MORBID OBESITY! HAHAHA!" Crap straight out of the Disney villains playbook. We get it. We see how you are. The 'I hope it someday happens to you' mentality is why I don't have compassion.

JusticeDisney

They do and, frankly, it ruins the show. There needs to be set times each hour block where people who need to transfer can board. Every 5 or so minutes is ridiculous.
Yeah, I agree! Damn disabled people ruining amusement park shows for the rest of us superior, healthy people. I say disabled people shouldn’t even be allowed in the parks at all. I mean, who do they think they are? It’s a joke that they think that they should have the same rights as the rest of us.

piglet21

Gotta disagree.
Regardless of what you do for a living, the fact that one single person unable to transfer themselves can disrupt the experience for 300+ people (ride depending) is not an acceptable solution. Not to mention how ride stoppages back up the ques outside the ride; which can have lasting affects for the rest of the day.

It is not right. And it is neither fair nor equal.

Disney is fully to blame though. Although, admittedly, I am not a fan of every piece of the ADA legislation. Disney is the one responsible, so says the government anyway, so they need to do a better job of solving for the issue of disabled people not transferring in a more creative way; one that wont disrupt the park for the entire day.

Ya, ya, ya. This is always the voodoo, gypsy-curse that you try to lay on people that think differently than you. "I CURSE YOU TO THE END OF DAYS WITH MORBID OBESITY! HAHAHA!" Crap straight out of the Disney villains playbook. We get it. We see how you are. The 'I hope it someday happens to you' mentality is why I don't have compassion.
I do get that stopping is annoying but I also don’t know what else Disney could do to accommodate guests who need to get on the ride at a slower pace or when stopped that wouldn’t violate ada. And I agree that it’s a Disney issue, not the disabled person’s. The notion that someone shouldn’t be able to go to a park and enjoy themselves because they are disabled is where I took issue - if Disney finds a creative solution, I’m all for it. But suggesting that disabled people be regulated to specific riding windows just doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t know what a solution could be other than what they already do. Yeah it inconveniences the rest of us on the ride, but how many times has your ride experience been interrupted by people taking flash pictures, people standing on rides, people with their arms out, etc. a lot of things can cause stoppages and those ones are things people can entirely individually control. I’m more annoyed on haunted mansion with someone near me constantly taking pictures than the occasionally brief stoppage, but that’s me.

And that was a genuine comment, not a “I hope one day you become disabled and know how it feels hahaha” comment. Working with disabled children and seeing the struggles their family goes through I genuinely hope that if for some unfortunate reason that person became disabled, had a disabled child, or whatever, that people would be compassionate, that’s all. Good vibes only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom