Wizards give smackdown to droids

Goofyernmost

Potter opened with three rides, one new, two re-themes, Forbidden Journey, Flight of the Hippogryph and Dragon Challenge.
I have to admit that I have never heard of the Hippogryph nor have I ever seen it. Is it still running? Just so we are on the same page here, is it the Dragon Challenge that was replaced with the new Hagrid ride. Not a Potter fan, so I have just walked through the area.

I have ridden Hogwarts Express and stood in line for Escape From Gringotts for over an hour, only to have it break down about every 10 minutes. Start to move and then the announcement that it was "temporarily" being restarted soon.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I have to admit that I have never heard of the Hippogryph nor have I ever seen it. Is it still running? Just so we are on the same page here, is it the Dragon Challenge that was replaced with the new Hagrid ride. Not a Potter fan, so I have just walked through the area.

I have ridden Hogwarts Express and stood in line for Escape From Gringotts for over an hour, only to have it break down about every 10 minutes. Start to move and then the announcement that it was "temporarily" being restarted soon.
That's some bad luck with Grongrotts. Never had an issue riding it, that said I am not a big 3d screen guy

donaldtoo

NOT EVEN CLOSE, BUD!

I'm not sure what all this Star Wars hype and game changing talk is all about. Universal's Potter in Orlando is still is the one to beat in the industry.

35+ acres vs 14 of highly immersive placesetting.

4 E ticketish/ super headining rides and 1 lower tiered ride vs 2 headliners.

Hagrid opened and it's beyond a phenomenal experience.......best ride on US soil, I say. We'll see about Rise of Resistance but for now Magical Creatures is the supreme attraction and Harry easily holds the crown

Work for Universal much, Mr. Bender...???!!!!! :D:hilarious:;)

B625D1A7-1D07-45C1-B9FB-BB25D6B250C4.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'll echo the sentiment that Hagrid's doesn't even appear to be the best attraction in The Wizarding World, let alone the US. Nice enough though it looks. It's a coaster with an unthemed track that spends most of its time whizzing past immature plants. The unique vehicle, scattered Animatronics, and indoor showscene with an unexpected thrill all add to the fun, but it's incrementally ambitious at best. The 40 year old Big Thunder is still a more immersive themed coaster experience, if one less thrilling and lighter on AA's.

And this is why we can't get the theme park experience by just watching youtube folks.

Pretty much everything you put down here as negatives you will absolutely flip your position when you actually ride the attraction unbiased.

The coaster itself is the masterpiece... it's layout.. it's speed.. it's integration. The motorcycles themselves as the ride vehicles are epic... the headlight at night is a life moment... the spike's integration is so seamless it's perfect.

If all you want to grade is on 'theming' - yes.. BTMRR covers things up better. But it doesn't make it more fun or more enjoyable. This ride has everyone coming off so thrilled to want to go again.

I've ridden it.. and then later that night watched the youtube videos. It's not even close to what the real experience feels like.

Think about what Indiana Jones on youtube is like vs being in the forbidden temple... it's like that. The YT videos don't convey the experience.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The audio animatronics in the new potter ride are not as great as Disney’s latest.

Hagrid in the ride does everything you'd want from a AA figure and looks hellva convincing. Fluffy looks plastic.. but it's a big imaginary monster.. and the unicorns are passable, but not stellar. Hagrid is every bit the part tho and more than enough.

The rainbow colored LED butt tho.. that one has me head scratching.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Secondly hagrids isn't a game changer, it isn't the best ride in HP land. It's just what is shiny and new in Orlando

Nope!

Know what Hagrid's is gonna do... it's gonna become the most popular HP ride because its thrilling, exciting, and FAR more accessible than FJ is. Hagrid's is the fastest, most intense coaster I've seen, that is simultaneously the most accessible (minus fluffys who can't fit).

It's less intense on your body than BTMRR, but way more thrilling and exciting as a coaster. BTMRR has fun bunny hills, but Hagrids does everything else coaster wise better.

The approachability of Hagrids is what will win out in the end. Much like Soarin' - part of what makes it so popular is it's accessibility and wide appeal. Hagrids trumps gringots and FJ in those categories.

the_rich

Nope!

Know what Hagrid's is gonna do... it's gonna become the most popular HP ride because its thrilling, exciting, and FAR more accessible than FJ is. Hagrid's is the fastest, most intense coaster I've seen, that is simultaneously the most accessible (minus fluffys who can't fit).

It's less intense on your body than BTMRR, but way more thrilling and exciting as a coaster. BTMRR has fun bunny hills, but Hagrids does everything else coaster wise better.

The approachability of Hagrids is what will win out in the end. Much like Soarin' - part of what makes it so popular is it's accessibility and wide appeal. Hagrids trumps gringots and FJ in those categories.
This is subpar. You can say it doesn't matter because you thought the ride was fun. But it does, when you're trying to say something is the best the details are key. If Disney did this people would be calling for their heads like they do with TSL.

Attachments

• 418D60F3-E126-4693-A1FC-C69E045DC569.png
    418D60F3-E126-4693-A1FC-C69E045DC569.png
    831 KB · Views: 77
  • 5C5B5933-2466-41E0-8AD8-D8C10B150DE2.png
    5C5B5933-2466-41E0-8AD8-D8C10B150DE2.png
    757.9 KB · Views: 53

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It is the family coaster right next to Forbidden Journey. Yes, it is still there...

The_Jobu

I haven't ridden either Hagrid's or Smuggler's, but I must admit, based entirely on youtube alone, Hagrid's seems to be the better of the two by quite a large margin.

Not trying to start a keyboard fight, I'm looking forward to trying both eventually.

Goofy213

That's not a coaster, this is a coaster! You don't need theming to make a great ride, Cedar Point has been doing this for 149 years. This coaster trumps anything Universal or Disney can throw at it. Keep your tinker toy rides. Give me a 200 ft 70mph 90 degree first drop 3 min long behemoth anyday. You don't have time to look at scenery on Steel Vengence, but if you need it look to your left at the top of the first hill just past Lake Erie, thats Canada you see. Disney or Universal can't simulate that. My point is you can't judge SWGE or HPL by ride experience alone, frankly because without the scenery the rides SUCK!!! You get a more thrilling hair raising experience fighting traffic trying to get into the park. The only 2 thrill rides at either park are Tower of Terror and Hulk, and between the 2 Tower wins in overall experience. You want ride experience come to Ohio I'll show rides you want theming go to Florida.
20180427_182909.jpg

The_Jobu

That's not a coaster, this is a coaster! You don't need theming to make a great ride, Cedar Point has been doing this for 149 years. This coaster trumps anything Universal or Disney can throw at it. Keep your tinker toy rides. Give me a 200 ft 70mph 90 degree first drop 3 min long behemoth anyday. You don't have time to look at scenery on Steel Vengence, but if you need it look to your left at the top of the first hill just past Lake Erie, thats Canada you see. Disney or Universal can't simulate that. My point is you can't judge SWGE or HPL by ride experience alone, frankly because without the scenery the rides SUCK!!! You get a more thrilling hair raising experience fighting traffic trying to get into the park. The only 2 thrill rides at either park are Tower of Terror and Hulk, and between the 2 Tower wins in overall experience. You want ride experience come to Ohio I'll show rides you want theming go to Florida.
View attachment 381728

I think you're looking for a different ride experience than the theme parks friend.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is subpar. You can say it doesn't matter because you thought the ride was fun. But it does, when you're trying to say something is the best the details are key. If Disney did this people would be calling for their heads like they do with TSL.

Again... have you actually been on it or are you armchair quarterbacking from videos?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom