Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

flynnibus

Premium Member
Either way, there will be a large number of people who won’t shop or eat at DTD since they already got their fill at Disneyland or DCA. They can’t expect shaking out every dime of every customer

You should study the marketing concept of 'impressions' and commercial real estate concepts like 'cars per day'.. etc. In the land of marketing and landing potential customers it's all about pushing up the # of potential customers so when you convert some percentage.. you have MORE.

The more potential customers seeing your message, or going by your door.. that is your raw market. The more you have there.. the better.

It's not about shaking every last penny out of people... it's about putting the product in front of the customer more and increasing the number of potential needs you can supply.

dlr74

Parking structure opening at “the end of this month” and pedestrian bridge opening in September

Sorry, I thought the caption would post too. But it’s from the official Disneyland Resort Ambassador Facebook page.

TP2000

This is the biggest question I have personally. Nobody is going to walk unless it saves time AND isn't too uncomfortable. The distance from the bottom of the bridge to the esplanade via the guestimated route below is a little over .6 miles. That's not horrible, if it doesn't include an uncomfortable wait in a long security line at DTD. Making that checkpoint efficient and relatively quick, will ensure the pedestrian bridge is well trafficked.

View attachment 381521

What continues to amaze me is that this new walkway dumps you out at the west end of DTD, where you are met by...

A giant old Rainforest Cafe that has been closed for a year
A giant old ESPNZone that has been closed for a year and is currently an Instagram upcharge room (that seems to have failed)
A giant old AMC Theater that has been closed for a year
A sandwich shop and a Starbucks!

I wonder how long it will be before they come up with some sort of plan for those three big vacant warehouse buildings?

britain

What continues to amaze me is that this new walkway dumps you out at the west end of DTD, where you are met by...

A giant old ESPNZone that has been closed for a year and is currently an Instagram upcharge room (that seems to have failed)

I wonder how long it will be before they come up with some sort of plan for those three big vacant warehouse buildings?
Well they aren’t going to change the design of their permanent bridge to accommodate temporary problems.

shambolicdefending

The problem with DTD is that it was built as a resort extension with tourists in mind. But, DLR has become completely dominated by local APs who can easily go eat/shop at a million other places that are cheaper and more convenient.

DLR>WDW

Sorry, I thought the caption would post too. But it’s from the official Disneyland Resort Ambassador Facebook page. View attachment 381544
The bridge only seems to be 5 shoulder widths wide... eek. Almost 7,000 more guests, yet same amount of trams + a narrow pedestrian bridge. I’ll wait until it’s up an running to make my final judgment, but with strollers and the generally haphazard patterns guests walk in, this may lead to serious congestion.

DanielBB8

First impressions is Nothing There. Those walkers from Pixar Pals parking structure will find a way to spend their money or tire from the effort. Wasn’t it true that the original retail mix was heavy on merchandise that proved to be a dud and it changed to be restaurants with food and adult drinks? Disney will try to find more customers for Splitsville and Ballast Point that aren’t doing so well.

TP2000

Well they aren’t going to change the design of their permanent bridge to accommodate temporary problems.

True. But "temporary" in Disney years equates to "long term solution" in regular years.

They've had "temporary" bag check tents up in the eastern Esplanade for over a decade. The "temporary" bag check tents they installed around DTD a couple years ago are still there, and still quite cheap and tacky looking. Don't worry, it's temporary.

0917downtown-disney-security.jpg

Just like the security tents in the Esplanade are temporary. These tents were already several years old when this photo was taken almost a decade ago in early 2010 for World Of Color's debut season.

p1013644_resize.jpg

Don't worry, it's temporary. No, seriously, this is only temporary. The current Disneyland Resort President Ed Grier, George Kalogridis, Michael Colglazier, Josh Damaro has a plan!

Last edited:

TP2000

Well, the Esplanade security tents are gone so they were temporary.

The ones on the west side by World of Disney are gone, because they were all moved to ESPNZone and Mickey and Friends to push the secure boundary out further from the parks.

But the security tents on the eastern side of the Esplanade are all still there. They did take down the World of Color signs nine years ago though. With temporary barricades, and temporary planters, and temporary potted trees. The dogs are permanent though.

12-21-15-DSC_6582.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

The dogs really annoy me because I'm not having some mangy mutt slobbering all over me when I enter Disney. I tell the security people as much every time they waltz over to me with one of those beasts.

Old Mouseketeer

The ones on the west side by World of Disney are gone, because they were all moved to ESPNZone and Mickey and Friends to push the secure boundary out further from the parks.

But the security tents on the eastern side of the Esplanade are all still there. They did take down the World of Color signs nine years ago though. With temporary barricades, and temporary planters, and temporary potted trees. The dogs are permanent though.

12-21-15-DSC_6582.jpg

Actually, the tents and barricades on the East side were replaced a few months ago. It's now one continuous canopy from North to South. Try and keep up. LOL

mandelbrot

The problem with DTD is that it was built as a resort extension with tourists in mind. But, DLR has become completely dominated by local APs who can easily go eat/shop at a million other places that are cheaper and more convenient.
DTD may have been built with tourists in mind but it has evolved: it's much more of a destination for locals/AP's now. For most of the year, the restaurants are full and the shops are busy. When most AP's are blocked and peak park ticket pricing is in effect DTD suffers. Tourists pretty much stay in the parks all day and eat and shop inside. That's why summer is the slow season for DTD while the rest of the year it's packed.

mm121

Parking structure opening at “the end of this month” and pedestrian bridge opening in September

This bridge doesn't feel like its anywhere near wide enough for the amount of people who will use it. Also kinda surprised the sides only have half railings instead of being entirely caged in like the bridges they built at Disney Springs in Orlando to prevent people from throwing things on cars or accidentally dropping things on cars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom