Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

DanielBB8

We've all just been trying to explain to you the reasoning for why the walking path is going through DTD. I've never made an assumption or even said I agreed with it or even if I liked it or not. I've kept my personal opinion out of it, other than to say it would be cool to have a Critter Country entrance/exit. It is Disney that made this decision not me or anyone here, so no assumptions are being made by us on guest behavior. Disney has all the data, so it knows guest behaviors better than anyone here and makes business decisions based on that data.

My personal opinion is yes it would be awesome to have a short cut into DL. But that doesn't take into account DCA, so what about DCA? Having a single entrance, even if a longer distance from parking, affords all guests the ability to hit either park equally. Giving all guests the same experience. Its part of the reason why they closed the PP Hotel back entrance, and why they are limiting who has access to the GCH entrance.
I already heard you. You were using the assumptions quite hard as rebuttal. You’re need to need to lighten up.

Nirya

Have they said how security is going to work with the tram loading area yet? Because I can't comprehend how they're going to screen people and then load them into the trams unless they are utilizing the same setup that they have now, and that doesn't seem great.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I already heard you. You were using the assumptions quite hard as rebuttal. You’re need to need to lighten up.
You know quite honestly I actually agree with you about having a Critter Country entrance. But as I said I was keeping my personal opinion out of the discussion. So again I wasn't making assumptions, its what Disney wants. There are many factors, some known, and some not known why Disney wants everyone to enter from the same area. As I said in an edit, part of it is security. Limiting the amount of access points is the number one way to secure any site. So, and now this is me actually making an assumption, I have to assume this plays a large role in any decision they make regarding this topic.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Have they said how security is going to work with the tram loading area yet? Because I can't comprehend how they're going to screen people and then load them into the trams unless they are utilizing the same setup that they have now, and that doesn't seem great.
All guests parking at either M&F or at Pixar Pals boarding trams will go through security gates that have been install in the lower level of Pixar Pals. Trams will be loading in the lower level of Pixar Pals, similar to how they are loading now at M&Fs.

Last edited:

The_Mesh_Hatter

I wonder if they’re going to be implementing a more permanent solution to the DTD security check point. The current arrangement is all very temporary and doesn’t have the capacity for all the new pedestrians Disney expects. The new walkway isn’t opening until September, so they have enough time to build something nicer and more efficient.

B7FD3CC2-4329-4AC4-A5E0-94FA9B68822B.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wonder if they’re going to be implementing a more permanent solution to the DTD security check point. The current arrangement is all very temporary and doesn’t have the capacity for all the new pedestrians Disney expects. The new walkway isn’t opening until September, so they have enough time to build something nicer and more efficient.

View attachment 381385
I would assume they would, they just redid the Harbor ones after all.

DanielBB8

You know quite honestly I actually agree with you about having a Critter Country entrance. But as I said I was keeping my personal opinion out of the discussion. So again I wasn't making assumptions, its what Disney wants. There are many factors, some known, and some not known why Disney wants everyone to enter from the same area. As I said in an edit, part of it is security. Limiting the amount of access points is the number one way to secure any site. So, and now this is me actually making an assumption, I have to assume this plays a large role in any decision they make regarding this topic.
In my previous posts, I made it quite clear that Disney already mitigated those issues on their own. Likewise, the security issue is mitigated by having the guests use tram security and they walk the path in the secure zone, which is the same tram 🚈 path that is secure. What is so hard about this? Nothing really. Disney doesn’t need to do anything now. They can wait out the issue.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Here is a video of them installing the bridge. Like others state does seem a little narrow for anticipated use.

If you consider the rate that cars are parked, it actually seems like it has the right capacity for incoming and exiting guests. I would guess cars park at a rate of 24 cars/minute between both structures, and the average AP Disney visitor has relatively few guests per car.

The old path we all loved going under the monorail was much narrower than the bridge appears to be.

Nirya

All guests parking at either M&F or at Pixar Pals boarding trams will go through security gates that have been install in the lower level of Pixar Pals. Trams will be loading in the lower level of Pixar Pals, similar to how they are loading now at M&Fs.

Ok, so they'll be coming down the escalators, walking north into Pixar Pals, where they'll hit security, then load the trams in that bottom section? And then I assume unloading will take place where it does now?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok, so they'll be coming down the escalators, walking north into Pixar Pals, where they'll hit security, then load the trams in that bottom section? And then I assume unloading will take place where it does now?
Yes, unloading will be pretty much in the same location as it is now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In my previous posts, I made it quite clear that Disney already mitigated those issues on their own. Likewise, the security issue is mitigated by having the guests use tram security and they walk the path in the secure zone, which is the same tram 🚈 path that is secure. What is so hard about this? Nothing really. Disney doesn’t need to do anything now. They can wait out the issue.

Instead of this going back and forth anymore lets just say I understand you don't like the way Disney is doing the walking paths. And that you think they should do things completely differently, again I understand.

I'll just add that decisions are being made based on information that we don't have access to. And that maybe if we had access to this same information that Disney does we'd make the same decisions. So in this case I have to trust there is a very good reason why things are the way they are with this project.

The_Mesh_Hatter

My hypothesis is that the new route will flow in the same direction. You’ll unload outside on the East end, by the 3 disney posters along the hedge. The tram will then make a big U turn, about twice the radius of the current U. The load area will be under the East end of Pixar Pals, running South to North. Security would run parallel to tram loading right under the south end of Pixar pals, so security and tram boarding will all be shaded. You don’t need a whole lot of room between security and boarding.

I can’t find any good current construction pictures, but there’s a tall gate running along the south side of Pixar Palls, which leads me to believe that’s where the security zone begins.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My hypothesis is that the new route will flow in the same direction. You’ll unload outside on the East end, by the 3 disney posters along the hedge. The tram will then make a big U turn, about twice the radius of the current U. The load area will be under the East end of Pixar Pals, running South to North. Security would run parallel to tram loading right under the south end of Pixar pals, so security and tram boarding will all be shaded. You don’t need a whole lot of room between security and boarding.

I can’t find any good current construction pictures, but there’s a tall gate running along the south side of Pixar Palls, which leads me to believe that’s where the security zone begins.
The video in this post from a couple pages ago shows the security gates under Pixar Pals. Tram loading will be behind those gates after you get screened.

And yes from what I've gathered the tram route will be the same basic route, just moved to under Pixar Pals. So no more u-turn in the courtyard, but rather a turn under the Pixar Pals escalator hub and into Pixar Pals for loading. Then out through M&F where it will meet the existing tram path.

The_Mesh_Hatter

I’m glad we’re finally getting something permanent and pretty looking. The current set up is just plain ugly. Especially the giant switchbacks before security. Redoing the Eastern gateway made a huge impact—there’s hardly ever a line now. I’m sure there will be lots of new security gates.

I noticed final details have started, including lots of new planters. Also, there’s this new ball sculpture at the base of the new set of escalators... it seems like it could be a fountain.

DanielBB8

Instead of this going back and forth anymore lets just say I understand you don't like the way Disney is doing the walking paths. And that you think they should do things completely differently, again I understand.

I'll just add that decisions are being made based on information that we don't have access to. And that maybe if we had access to this same information that Disney does we'd make the same decisions. So in this case I have to trust there is a very good reason why things are the way they are with this project.
Let’s just say I’m in favor of the overdue bridge,
disappointed with limited tram capacity, and I’m only suggesting another way of entering and exiting. This doesn’t need to be debated forever and ever.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m glad we’re finally getting something permanent and pretty looking. The current set up is just plain ugly. Especially the giant switchbacks before security. Redoing the Eastern gateway made a huge impact—there’s hardly ever a line now. I’m sure there will be lots of new security gates.

I noticed final details have started, including lots of new planters. Also, there’s this new ball sculpture at the base of the new set of escalators... it seems like it could be a fountain.
Well the Harbor side will hopefully be getting a lot more changes soon. ;)

DLR>WDW

The interior of the new security checkpoint/tram loading area under Pixar Pals should look really nice, too. They've installed roofing and proper flooring so it isn't as janky. Plus, there also seems to be fancy purple mood lighting like Virgin America (RIP). Odd to say, but I'm very excited for the opening of this new parking structure!

Last edited:

shambolicdefending

View attachment 381385

This is the biggest question I have personally. Nobody is going to walk unless it saves time AND isn't too uncomfortable. The distance from the bottom of the bridge to the esplanade via the guestimated route below is a little over .6 miles. That's not horrible, if it doesn't include an uncomfortable wait in a long security line at DTD. Making that checkpoint efficient and relatively quick, will ensure the pedestrian bridge is well trafficked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom