Which would you choose?

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I'm trying to pick between two itineraries and just throwing it out there for opinions. Both sailings are in April of 2020, departing less than a week apart.

4-nights on the Magic, out of Miami, stopping in Nassau and Castaway Cay.
  • Pros:
    • Tangled: The Musical in the Walt Disney Theater.
    • Rapunzel's restaurant.
    • Smaller ship means fewer people on Castaway Cay.
    • Possible post-cruise side trip to Key West
  • Cons:
    • Twice as far to drive to port from Orlando, where we'll be staying.
    • Older ship.

4-nights on the Dream, out of Port Canaveral, stopping in Nassau and Castaway Cay.
  • Pros:
    • Beauty and the Beast AND Golden MIckeys in the Walt Disney Theater.
    • Aqua Duck, interactive art, etc.
    • Better show in Animator's Palate.
  • Cons:
    • None, really.

Can anybody offer any other pros/cons or opinions on what you might prefer?

lostpro9het

We’re doing the magic for the first time in October but have done the Wonder. We also have two more booked out of Miami in 2020. So take this with a grain of salt.
Dream:
Pro:
Better adult pool area IMO
Feels and looks new, obviously.
The BatBshow is excellent, cool how they use a guest to play chip at the end too.
Better adult district.
Cons:
Much bigger so more walking, not always a con when you consider all the good food you have to walk off.
Family pool area always looks like the opening battle scene from gladiator.

Magic based on our Wonder trip:
Pro
Dining entertainment was better,Tiana’s in this case
Navigating the ship is easy
I liked the Pub a lot more than 687
Miami port is a change of venue. For us at least.
Con
Not a fan of the adult pool layout
Ship was noticeably warn/aged when compared to Dream/Fantasy

You could do the 5-nighter out of Miami and get Key West in too and you may see someone you recognize ;-)

Last edited:

FRD714

I have been on a 3 night on the Dream and a 5 night on the Magic in the past year. Based on those itineraries, I would probably pick the Dream. Although it was nice having a smaller crowd on Castaway Cay with the Magic. The Aquaduck was much more fun than the Magic's slides and I think Cabana's was much better on the Dream. Plus who doesn't love a bigger ship? For me, flying into Orlando means a day or two at WDW. We never fly in same day as embarkation day. I found Miami to be extremely boring.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I have been on a 3 night on the Dream and a 5 night on the Magic in the past year. Based on those itineraries, I would probably pick the Dream.
That's interesting. Unless I really disliked one of the ships, I think I'd always choose a longer cruise over a shorter one. If you offered me your two choices, I'd pick 5 nights on the Magic every time. Three nights is just too short for me. UNLESS -- unless I was so close to port that I could just hop on for any weekened, then I might grab a 3 night just for a quick getaway. But for me, give me 5 nights, baby. :)

The Aquaduck was much more fun than the Magic's slides and I think Cabana's was much better on the Dream.
Both fair points. I was on the Magic in '15 but didn't try the Aquadunk because we were in ICELAND and it was a little too chilly. I don't mind the Magic's layout for Cabana's, though. I find that people on the Dream don't really know how to handle the lack of a clear line and it makes it a little chaotic. The Magic still has two cafeteria style lines that streamline the process. So I don't mind that as much.

Plus who doesn't love a bigger ship?
Me. The Dream has great features, but the size doesn't matter at all to me. I like the Magic's public spaces and I like not walking a half mile to get a soda. But that's just a matter of taste. I have no problem with people who like the bigger ships. It's not a huge draw for me, personally.

I found Miami to be extremely boring.
We were thinking of driving out to Key West after the cruise, which is easier from Miami. But that's not a done deal yet, either. Thanks for your thoughts on this. My brother-in-law is also leaning toward the Dream, but we haven't decided yet.

FRD714

That's interesting. Unless I really disliked one of the ships, I think I'd always choose a longer cruise over a shorter one. If you offered me your two choices, I'd pick 5 nights on the Magic every time. Three nights is just too short for me. UNLESS -- unless I was so close to port that I could just hop on for any weekened, then I might grab a 3 night just for a quick getaway. But for me, give me 5 nights, baby. :)
I meant based on your itineraries. My bad. I would pick the longer cruise as well! But since yours are both 4, I'd pick the Dream.

We were thinking of driving out to Key West after the cruise, which is easier from Miami. But that's not a done deal yet, either. Thanks for your thoughts on this. My brother-in-law is also leaning toward the Dream, but we haven't decided yet.
The Magic stopped at Key West on my last trip in April. I'm assuming you want to spend more than a day there though.

nol_dur

I'm trying to pick between two itineraries and just throwing it out there for opinions. Both sailings are in April of 2020, departing less than a week apart.

4-nights on the Magic, out of Miami, stopping in Nassau and Castaway Cay.
  • Pros:
    • Tangled: The Musical in the Walt Disney Theater.
    • Rapunzel's restaurant.
    • Smaller ship means fewer people on Castaway Cay.
    • Possible post-cruise side trip to Key West
  • Cons:
    • Twice as far to drive to port from Orlando, where we'll be staying.
    • Older ship.
4-nights on the Dream, out of Port Canaveral, stopping in Nassau and Castaway Cay.
  • Pros:
    • Beauty and the Beast AND Golden MIckeys in the Walt Disney Theater.
    • Aqua Duck, interactive art, etc.
    • Better show in Animator's Palate.
  • Cons:
    • None, really.
Can anybody offer any other pros/cons or opinions on what you might prefer?
Dream, the shows are worth it and the Aqua Duck is fun. I may have not liked it because of weather but everything is still worth it.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I meant based on your itineraries. My bad. I would pick the longer cruise as well! But since yours are both 4, I'd pick the Dream.
Got it. That makes total sense!

The Magic stopped at Key West on my last trip in April. I'm assuming you want to spend more than a day there though.
Correct. The last time I was in Key West was 2006 on the Magic, but this sailing doesn't include it as a stop.

MaryJaneP

Do departure ports really factor into you cruise choice? It seems to actually be a choice of bigger ship vs. smaller (but still big) ship. Having been on both (Magic prefurb), our choice would be ... The Dream. Kinda hard to beat a bigger, newer ship, and we loved all the extras, like the aqua duck. Either way tho, both are DCL and you are likely to have an awesome time on whichever you choose. Also, BTW, thanks for all your excellent posts. Can we hope for more photos and a TR?

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Do departure ports really factor into you cruise choice?
Only a little. My folks have a house near WDW, so Port Canaveral is about an hour and 20 minutes to drive, but Miami is 3 hours to drive. The point in favor of Miami is that it would be easier to hop down the Keys.

It seems to actually be a choice of bigger ship vs. smaller (but still big) ship.
It's not the size so much as the age. Dream is obviously still a lot newer and has all the bells and whistles. But the Magic is THE classic ship, the first in the fleet. It's the one I've sailed on most, (so it's kind of our "home" in DCL) but not since 2015; so I haven't seen the Tangled show or restaurant. So there's definitely a draw for us to get back on the Magic.

Having been on both (Magic prefurb), our choice would be ... The Dream. Kinda hard to beat a bigger, newer ship, and we loved all the extras, like the aqua duck.
This is how my brother-in-law feels, too.

Also, BTW, thanks for all your excellent posts.
In the immortal words of Mr. George Banks of number 17 Cherry Tree Lane: "Well, that's debatable, I must say".

Can we hope for more photos and a TR?
It won't be until April, sadly, but I'm sure I'll have a ton of pictures. I'm not sure I'll do a whole trip report, because the ports are just Nassau and Castaway Cay. But I'm sure I'll want to talk about Tangled: The Musical and the "new" Rapunzel restaurant.

belledream

I sailed on the Magic pre-Tangled (grrr!) but if it were me, I would lean towards the Dream. I enjoyed everything more... from AquaDuck over AquaDunk, to the grander chandelier in the Atrium. :p

I would also consider location/distance to be a factor, thus making the Dream the clear winner. However, your latest post makes that not so much an issue since you’re already FL-local at that point. Aka it’s not like you’re traveling so far, and then some!

Seems like you really want to see the newest of the Magic, but your brother wants the latest and greatest of the Dream! (If I’m reading correctly :)).

ChuckElias

Original Poster
We decided!

For a few reasons, we've decided on the Magic out of Miami. Our departure date is April 16, 2020. Anybody else on that sailing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom