News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

The_Mesh_Hatter

I remember a casting call appeared on the Hub for Savi’s performers. But I don’t think these people are part of the same department or union as performers in parades or shows.. or even face characters.

Basically, these people aren’t classically trained in any sense, even though the job demands more acting skills than Jungle Cruise. But, no one was just randomly assigned to work at Savi’s; you had to audition.

Last edited:

TP2000

I have watched these as well as it is one thing I know I'll never do and also thought the acting was cringey. I think this would have been great with an animatronic alien giving the spiel with human assistants to help with putting the sabres together.

I watched two of these Savi's Workshop videos while waiting for an appointment this morning, and.... yikes! :oops:

They've got enthusiastic shopclerks pretending to be actors and actresses. It's not a good look. The enthusiasm is great, and their attempt at being an actor is very sweet. But their level of competence and professionalism for that acting role is just really uncomfortable to watch.

For $200 bucks either get a real AGVA actor in there to run the show while the shopclerks assist and use a few themed phrases, or build an animatronic to do it automatically. For $200 bucks the customer deserves better and a more consistent experience over time.

What happens a month from now when the lines are long, the crowds are hot and grumpy, and the CM got pulled over from another shop to fill in a last minute call-sick and doesn't want to be there? It's going to go from cringey to downright awful.

wityblack

Didn't you know it was a Bloody Mary before you ordered it, though? I wouldn't order something I knew I didn't like.
I did know. I knew I wouldn't really like either of the alcoholic drinks, but since I turned 21 a few months ago, I hadn't had any alcohol on property, and I thought it suited me best to at least have my first Disney booze in Disneyland proper. Also, my parents drank the rest of it, so it didn't go to waste. They are descriptive with what is in the drink on the menu.

VJ

I did know. I knew I wouldn't really like either of the alcoholic drinks, but since I turned 21 a few months ago, I hadn't had any alcohol on property, and I thought it suited me best to at least have my first Disney booze in Disneyland proper. Also, my parents drank the rest of it, so it didn't go to waste. They are descriptive with what is in the drink on the menu.
That makes sense! I appreciate the explanation.

Mickeyboof

Galaxy’s Edge. Loved it. Would have loved it more if Disney hadn’t hyped it for the last three years.

It feel so short.

PLAY DISNEY/ DATAPAD. The Peter Pan queue game is more immersive and interactive than the boring, bland, useless datapad. Why was this hyped? The best game is still the Magic Kingdom’s “A Pirates Adventure,” which is full of magical effect and landscape altering moments (like when cannons fire overhead!). Pirates adventure makes the land incredibly active and tangible. Datapad is like a text-based game... where nothing happens. There is no gratifying reward to the jobs, scanning or lengthy translating.

SMUGGLER’S RUN- Incredibly fun ride. Ride. This is a ride. Not a game. I loved it as a ride. A new favorite. But the most interactive part is the landscape being depicted as day or night depending on the time of day outside. If you do nothing, the ride still goes. If you don’t turn left or right, the ride still turns. Don’t hit lightspeed? You still go lightspeed. I wish there were actual consequences. If the right pilot doesn’t hit lightspeed, I wish we’d fly quietly until they do- meaning we loose game time. That is consequence. This ride is only slightly more interactive than Mission Space.

Also, during the “extra” asteroid field scene, why can’t we actually fly through the asteroids? The steering is intensely locked during this scene. You make no difference as a pilot. You turn left and right, but it mostly tilts the ride while never actually traveling left or right.

I loved it as a ride. But there is almost no interactivity. I wish an animatronic of Chewy was the pilot, and we were just along for the ride.

It’s not a game if there is no consequence.

THE LAND- I found two corners with music. The best corner is the fenced in outside area of Docking Bay 7. Really good area music. The other location was coming from a high up window on a random walkway. Other than that, the noises coming from the bushes and trees are so absurdly loud and chaotic.

However, the sounds of spaceships taking off in the sky above is extraordinary. It’s incredible what they’ve done with the movement of sound in this land. The noise actually travels around and up. It’s brilliant.

The area noises and texture is also brilliantly laid out... it’s the constant content of animal noises and buzzing instead of music that is bothersome.

CANTINA- I read someone thought it was wildly overcrowded. I’m surprised! I thought it was wildly under-filled! The cantina could fit a lot more people!

I do have to wonder how leading professionals in the theme park industry could create something like the cantina. Even though I think 20 more people could have fit comfortably, the Cantina is laughably small. Incredibly intimate (which continues this best attribute of Disneyland), but this land isn’t designed for an audience of one. It’s designed for the masses (looking at you, Disney World). Intimacy can be crafted even in large spaces.

There aren’t even bathrooms in this joint. You have to walk past the Blue Milk stand.

Regardless, If you do get in, I’m sure you’ll agree the Cantina is the single best part of this land (besides the Ronto Roasters Wrap!).

RESISTANCE AREA- The land is shockingly empty. Even with the ride opening in the next year (or two), the Resistance side need way more than two merch stands and a ride. It needs environmental happenings. Doesn’t the resistance need to eat? Where is their commissary? Where do they drink? Where do they celebrate victories?

I can’t believe they say this is their biggest expansion, yet a large chunk is trees and two merch stands. Woof.

DISNEY WORLD. Galaxy’s Edge is tiny. The shopping stalls are tiny. The food stands are tiny. This isn’t gonna fly in Florida. At Disneyland, it preserves the intimacy of the original park. It’s gorgeously personal. Disney World is anything but intimate. It’s mass produced and overpopulated. Good luck Disney World. My suggestion- If you’re a real fan, come to Disneyland.

Cars Land is still the best modern theme park land ever built. It’s transcendent. It’s musical and beautiful. Galaxy’s Edge doesn’t beat Cars.

Still, nothing can compare to the kinetic New Orleans Square with its unparalleled views of Sailing Ship Columbia and Mark Twain, spectacular nighttime show Fantasmic, two world famous e-ticket attractions, two incredible restaurants (four of you consider the clubs), five quick service spots, and incredibly themed shops. Can’t forget the bands that play all day, the wonderfully curious noises that come from the windows above, and walk around characters.

Maybe the problem is that new lands like Pandora and Galaxy’s Edge look amazing on camera. New Orleans Square is too winding and human to look good in one picture. Galaxy’s Edge looks incredible through a camera lens. But it’s not human. It’s not even alien. But it’s ripe for that single photo.

As rough as I am being, I promise I have more positive things to say than negative, however I’ll leave that to the Disney bloggers to spew.

**EDIT: My disappointments are all in the things Disney hyped. I wish I never read even the most vague blog post. Disney should keep quiet, like Universal usually does.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

I watched two of these Savi's Workshop videos while waiting for an appointment this morning, and.... yikes! :oops:

They've got enthusiastic shopclerks pretending to be actors and actresses. It's not a good look. The enthusiasm is great, and their attempt at being an actor is very sweet. But their level of competence and professionalism for that acting role is just really uncomfortable to watch.

For $200 bucks either get a real AGVA actor in there to run the show while the shopclerks assist and use a few themed phrases, or build an animatronic to do it automatically. For $200 bucks the customer deserves better and a more consistent experience over time.

What happens a month from now when the lines are long, the crowds are hot and grumpy, and the CM got pulled over from another shop to fill in a last minute call-sick and doesn't want to be there? It's going to go from cringey to downright awful.

Our waiter at the Cantina was happy to tell us, out of character, he’s over all of it and has “been here too long today.”

I can’t imagine what they’ll be like in two years trying to act. Or even in one year.

Hawg G

Something $200+ that has no real use outside of being a toy is not a value to me I'm sorry.

And custom built is a bit of a stretch on these. There are five sections that you can choose from different designs for each section. Some of them would look very odd together, and they are advertised as 3 different types, with just a few options for each section. It's not even clear if you CAN mix and match types from the videos I've watched.

And they don't LOOK like high quality light sabers. DIsney apparently went to great lengths to make a metal toy look like a sort of plastic toy.

DisneyRoy

And custom built is a bit of a stretch on these. There are five sections that you can choose from different designs for each section. Some of them would look very odd together, and they are advertised as 3 different types, with just a few options for each section. It's not even clear if you CAN mix and match types from the videos I've watched.

And they don't LOOK like high quality light sabers. DIsney apparently went to great lengths to make a metal toy look like a sort of plastic toy.

I agree with you. That is my one concern is they have limited the number of possibilities of combinations. I would like to see more. Because you can't mix pieces from the different types. What you pick is what you get. You want the Rancor tooth? Then you can only pick other pieces from the same set. That I don't like. If you're going to restrict it like that, then give me more choices of parts.

I am withholding my thoughts on the plastic look until I see them in person. I think they look awesome. I just think that the videos people are showing are not doing them justice...I hope.

mickEblu

I’ll admit I don’t know anything about lightsabers but I was thinking the same thing. The “hilt” as its apparently called looks a little bit too plasticky for that $200 price tag.

180º

IMO, the only hilt that looks as good as the material it’s made out of is Peace and Justice. It’s a nice, brushed metal finish that retains its lustre. The other three options look...painted? When you hold them, you can tell they’re metal underneath, but the surface looks and feels like it should be plastic.

ThistleMae

Based on a number of different reviews, I'm keeping my expectations low. That way, I may end up enjoying it more. While I love FOP, I think Pandora seems small to me. Other than the tree and some exotic plants, it's just meh. But the rides, and I mean both, give it life. I'm hoping both SWGE rides will be open when I go to WDW in Jan/Feb 2020. The 2020 deals are coming out June 18th, so hoping for some good ones. I'm sure SWGE land is awesome, from everything I've read but I'm not expecting the level of immersion that many people were hoping for. It's still a theme park, and while they are shooting for more lofty goals, unless they want to hire "real" actors and spend a lot more money on interactivity in the land, it will remain a theme park attraction. Just my thinking after following all the reviews since opening.

Furiated

I agree with you. That is my one concern is they have limited the number of possibilities of combinations. I would like to see more. Because you can't mix pieces from the different types. What you pick is what you get. You want the Rancor tooth? Then you can only pick other pieces from the same set. That I don't like. If you're going to restrict it like that, then give me more choices of parts.

This is a big concern for me as well. With the limited amount of choices per set, I feel like mine wouldn't really be uniquely mine as it's highly likely lots of other people used the same combination of parts that I did.

I'd love for someone better at math than me to figure out just how many possible combinations there are per set.

I also wonder if down the line they would decide to open things up and let you combine sets or add more sets to choose from.

Furiated

Pick 2 of 4 Sleeves in 2 Positions = 12 combinations
Emitters = 2
Activators = 2
Pommels = 2

12x2x2x2 = 96 combinations (not including crystal color)

Thanks!

That's actually higher than I thought. Though I think the big pieces (sleeves?) are the big differentiator, at least for me. If someone has the same as mine, in the same spot, it's going to jump out at me as being the same as mine, even if it really isn't.

That being said, seeing the numbers does make me feel better about someone having EXACTLY the same style as mine if I end up doing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom