News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Also, Epcot is a different park, in that it's not meant to transport you to a different time and place.

The park itself is the place, the world's fair.

So, having Guardians take place in the actual park works, in that sense
(even though the ride is obviously in the wrong park)

It's the same conceit for the Awesome Mix show at the American Pavilion. The Xandarians are there to share their culture and music since World Showcase is a cultural exchange.

Then Star Lord comes out and shows them the true American imperialist spirit by making them assume American music and culture.

Mac Tonight

No, it's a story treatment. From there you can make it a time travel attraction or some other self aware version that pays tribute to classic Epcot.
lol, I just cringe at the idea that they literally gutted "classic Epcot" to make way for a new IP-infused attraction that would pay homage to "classic Epcot". They should have just updated UOE and put GOTG in RnRC.

WDWFREAK53

lol, I just cringe at the idea that they literally gutted "classic Epcot" to make way for a new IP-infused attraction that would pay homage to "classic Epcot". They should have just updated UOE and put GOTG in RnRC.

What do you gain by doing that? You just remove a coaster and replace with a coaster. You take a dying/dead attraction and revive it...
I'm not for "Marvel" being in Epcot but if you're just retheming the Rock n Rollercoaster, it doesn't really give you any "gains."

Universe of Energy, from its inception lacked any real "energy." Just the opposite, it drained you of energy. Apart from the dinosaur room it was a pretty bland attraction IMO.

If the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster uses the Anulax Batteries as a basis for the story, the theme of "energy" is still there. Is it ideal? Heck no...but at least it would show that they're trying to keep the original theme of the pavilion and tell a story with these characters.

Timothy_Q

What do you gain by doing that? You just remove a coaster and replace with a coaster. You take a dying/dead attraction and revive it...
I'm not for "Marvel" being in Epcot but if you're just retheming the Rock n Rollercoaster, it doesn't really give you any "gains."
You gain thematic consistency for the parks

And losing a dark ride for another coaster in the dark isn't a gain just because it's a coaster

Mac Tonight

Universe of Energy, from its inception lacked any real "energy." Just the opposite, it drained you of energy. Apart from the dinosaur room it was a pretty bland attraction IMO.

If the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster uses the Anulax Batteries as a basis for the story, the theme of "energy" is still there. Is it ideal? Heck no...but at least it would show that they're trying to keep the original theme of the pavilion and tell a story with these characters.
While that may be, it also just keeps proving that they know very little about what made Epcot so special to so many. It wasn't familiar characters, heck, it wasn't even thrill rides.

Yes, overlaying GOTG at RnRC is just a replacement instead of an addition. But that park needs whatever fresh blood it can come across. At least they had the foresight to not butcher TOT like they did out west.

RSoxNo1

I agree, it's convoluted as h*ll but I'd accept it over some of the other Epcot decisions over the last 15-20 years.

I wanted them to define Future World vs. Tomorrowland during this. The easy distinction I would have made was that Tomorrowland was the version of the future grounded in movies while Future World was the version of the future grounded in "Scientific" principles.

I've suggested it in the past that a rebuilt Space Mountain could move to Epcot under that scenario and you could justify a Guardians and Tron coaster in Tomorrowland.

Imagineer777

Mac Tonight

It's a perfectly reasonable idea for the premise of the ride.
Then they should have made the ride where you act like you're getting on UoE (which is what Quill would have remembered) but then something goes wrong, and it winds up sucking your car into the roller-coaster portion where the rest of the Guardians have to join in on the fun to get you home safe.

Incomudro

Then they should have made the ride where you act like you're getting on UoE (which is what Quill would have remembered) but then something goes wrong, and it winds up sucking your car into the roller-coaster portion where the rest of the Guardians have to join in on the fun to get you home safe.

That would have been a pretty cool idea.
Truth is, we really don't know how they are working the preshow of the coaster.

Imagineer777

I feel like we might be seeing a mix of both the "Peter visited EPCOT Center" & "GOTG need Energy" storylines for the ride. I also think that "Peter visited EPCOT Center" might come into play more than we might think since at D23 they went out of their way to mention it & show a picture, could've easily just been a passive reference in the preshow... 🤷‍♂️

I'm also really looking forward to finding out what/how they'll be naming the attraction, it'll be nice if they find a way to keep Universe of Energy in the style of Mission: Breakout's titling: "Guardians of the Galaxy: Universe of Energy!"

rioriz

That would have been a pretty cool idea.
Truth is, we really don't know how they are working the preshow of the coaster.

As the rarely seen master of Devils Advocate....i agree with @Incomudro

We dont know what the premise of the actual show scenes are. Maybe Mansion and Martin do but even though I have love for them we cant blindly follow their taste. Hate the location but dont hate the ride yet....

Mission Breakout is a far better experience than West Coast ToT could ever be....i said it and stand by it...now if they touch the original all bets are off!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom