Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Grand Inquisitor

I don't know, I really like TSL for what it is. It may seem like just a waste of space on paper, but the rides are simply fun, and I actually think the oversized toy theming is pretty cool. Sure the land isn't perfect, and the money probably could have been better used elsewhere, but I enjoyed what was there. Maybe my nostalgia for Toy Story has something to do with it...
I agree I love Toy Story land and I love the franchise! Buzz Light-year is one of the greatest Disney characters hence why he's my avatar name and picture ;)

Kman101

I still don’t get why the first part of the outdoor (covered) queue for TSMM isn’t a store. Take down about six switchbacks and you’ve got enough room. Heck - doesn’t even need to be conditioned square footage - leave it open air.

This!

That pop up shop is horrible. Some of it is OK. But wow it's bad. LOL.

While I've seen Disney fumble before, it's pretty sad how they keep fumbling at DHS.

Casper Gutman

TSL will make more sense if it is joined to a larger Pixar area on that side of the park. Which is the rumor.

In any case, it has great appeal to younger families and is a great counterbalance to SW:GE.
Unless I missed something very big, that’s not a rumor, it’s pure wishful thinking.

And appealing to younger families does not mean cheap and unimaginative.

Kman101

I can't get that picture of the monkeys on the bare white wall and the ceiling tiles. Wow. Just bad. I mean, if that was someone's DIY project I'd say they did a great job. But this is a Disney project. Being "pop up" shouldn't mean = cheap. It's really embarrassing, truthfully. How could any one in management open that with a straight face? They had to be dying laughing on the inside.

jt04

Care to elaborate? What you wrote here is useless.

Let’s start here: what is your source for the rumor?

I read many sources. Many predicted the new TSL restaurant. When these sources start to align then usually that means there is substance to it as proven by the restaurant announcement.

I don't think anything else has been greenlit for Pixar expansion yet. They could be looking at Disneyland GE numbers first. But it is confirmed Monstropolis and other adds have been considered for DHS.

We discuss rumors here in depth. If speculation and rumors and leaks is not your thing the site has many other interesting forum discussions.

Casper Gutman

I read many sources. Many predicted the new TSL restaurant. When these sources start to align then usually that means there is substance to it as proven by the restaurant announcement.

I don't think anything else has been greenlit for Pixar expansion yet. They could be looking at Disneyland GE numbers first. But it is confirmed Monstropolis and other adds have been considered for DHS.

We discuss rumors here in depth. If speculation and rumors and leaks is not your thing the site has many other interesting forum discussions.
What sources?

Monstropolis was a longstanding rumor. So was a full or miniature version of Cars Land. From what we know, these plans were dropped when Disney decided to go the cheap (for Disney) route of TSL.

This site is great for rumors and informed speculation, you are correct. That’s why it’s particularly deceptive when posters make stuff up and pretend it’s a substantial rumor.

Incomudro

I think the land as a whole seems about as impressive. Since it’s thought out enough to have an indoor counter service, water play area, and an indoor play area it seems better planned than TSL in its current form.

So, having those things makes it the same or better?
There are other ways to judge things - content is just one of them.
I don't think TSL is anything great, but it certainly looks better than those Dollywood images.
And everyone glosses over it because it was already there - Toy Story Mania IS part of TSL.

jt04

What sources?

Monstropolis was a longstanding rumor. So was a full or miniature version of Cars Land. From what we know, these plans were dropped when Disney decided to go the cheap (for Disney) route of TSL.

This site is great for rumors and informed speculation, you are correct. That’s why it’s particularly deceptive when posters make stuff up and pretend it’s a substantial rumor.

I'm not going to mention other sources as the mods don't appreciate that. Pixar expansion at DHS is not a baseless rumor. Whether it happens is another story.

TrainsOfDisney

So, having those things makes it the same or better?
There are other ways to judge things - content is just one of them.
I don't think TSL is anything great, but it certainly looks better than those Dollywood images.
And everyone glosses over it because it was already there - Toy Story Mania IS part of TSL.

Well TSL was made for instagram with the giant characters and bright colors. The Dollywood area is supposed to be a hidden grove.... I feel like if you walked through both you would get it. The only thing that looks cheap theme wise is the indoor play area is just a box building with a forest scene mural on it.... not to say big boxes disguised as movie studios are any better...

Toy Story Mania was not phase 1 of toy story land, it was phase 1 of a Pixar Studios project. While yes they made it fit and it’s now part of the land on the map, it’s not that we overlook it.

RSoxNo1

Toy Story Land is ok for what it is, but the concept of shrunken down to the size of a toy doesn't lend itself to great theming. So even if you knock a bad theme out of the park it can only be so good. Things like Potter, Star Wars and Pandora all lend themselves to fantastic world building, Toy Story doesn't.

The new shop is horrible execution on a poor theme. It's as if someone put a shop in a department store break room.

Edit:

This store looks like it used to be a cast member break area. Are they trying to match the feel of the Buzz Lightyear queue - sad and depressing?
That's probably exactly what it was. I saw this after my post.

NormC

I found the whole land cheap and nasty.:rolleyes:

Everything from the cheap carnival kiddie ride, to the generic coaster, but even worst the theming - Disney now use cardboard cut outs for ride fascias ? The queue for the Slinky Dog was a throw back to the bad old days - even worst for many people they were standing under the sun for a long period of time.
Yes, when the fascia represents the cardboard boxes the coaster kit and the other toys came out of they do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom