News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Magenta Panther

There were other books in the Mary Poppins series...Travers would not allow another one to be a movie while she was alive.

The new movie was based on the sum/stories of the other sequel books and wrapped in a new setting that was in the "future". Honestly, they couldn't have made this when it was being called for, due to Travers.

If you watch this movie and don't get a nostalgic 1960s movie vibe, I have pity on your stone heart. Its just so innocent and carefree...

Actually, initially, Travers was all for a sequel after the success of the first film. When Walt died and the sequel didn't happen, she soured on the whole thing and started talking to lawyers. Because that lady was a piece of work.

I have suffered through attempted continuations of Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz, so nope nope nope, I'm not sitting through an inferior sequel of Poppins, thank you very much, especially one featuring the Walt-Disney-slanderer Meryl Streep. Casting her was like a slap in the face to Uncle Walt. YMMV.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Just a heads up @Magenta Panther, if you account for 65% of the posts on a given page, it might be time to slowly walk away from this particular topic/thread.

I stated an opinion about a movie, and some of the people who defended it chose to personally insult me, so of course I'm going to kick their tail. Perhaps you should slowly walk away from this particular topic/thread and mind your own business.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I stated an opinion about a movie, and some of the people who defended it chose to personally insult me, so of course I'm going to kick their tail. Perhaps you should slowly walk away from this particular topic/thread and mind your own business.
No need for that, I simply suggested taking a break from here, you know, so you can cool down a bit.

HoldenC

Yeah, if you're so insecure that my opinion gets your panties in a twist, then for your own mental health, don't mind me...
GoldenGirlsDorothyBite.gif

FigmentFan82

Actually, initially, Travers was all for a sequel after the success of the first film. When Walt died and the sequel didn't happen, she soured on the whole thing and started talking to lawyers. Because that lady was a piece of work.

I have suffered through attempted continuations of Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz, so nope nope nope, I'm not sitting through an inferior sequel of Poppins, thank you very much, especially one featuring the Walt-Disney-slanderer Meryl Streep. Casting her was like a slap in the face to Uncle Walt. YMMV.
No one is forcing you to watch it, so, dunno why you're so riled up. It's not like Disney is forcing a 24hr stream of this movie onto all your devices

Castle Cake Apologist

Always do, thanks.
Some people just cannot handle opinions different from their own...
Nothing, of course, would be as good as the original. Why anyone would want to see something that isn't as good as the original is beyond me...
Yeah, if you're so insecure that my opinion gets your panties in a twist, then for your own mental health, don't mind me...
I saw the sequence on YouTube. It was subpar compared to the original IMO. Bert's dance with the penguins is still unsurpassed. It's even more remarkable when it's remembered that there were no computers back then. It was all done with gifted hands putting lines on paper. Hey you asked...
*yawn* This again?

Multiquote is a great feature.

Skibum1970

I would prefer that any ride added to Epcot would be based on the original but I'm not excited about it being a spinner or even carousel. The ride proposed by Baxter? Heck yeah! They could even blend parts from both movies if done right. I was thinking about this being a carousel and it's almost as bad as the Emotional Whirlwind ride that DCA will open soon.

Purduevian

Back of the topic of the ride and not a debate on the movies. How long does it take Disney to build a flat ride now? Are there any recent examples of a flat ride not opening with a larger section of a park? I know the original plan was for this to kind of be the side piece ride to Ratatouille the same way Grand Fiesta is to Frozen. With Rat opening spring 2020, if they broke ground tomorrow could this be ready in time?

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Back of the topic of the ride and not a debate on the movies. How long does it take Disney to build a flat ride now? Are there any recent examples of a flat ride not opening with a larger section of a park? I know the original plan was for this to kind of be the side piece ride to Ratatouille the same way Grand Fiesta is to Frozen. With Rat opening spring 2020, if they broke ground tomorrow could this be read in time?
Yes, but it won’t be.

Rich Brownn

So let me ask you this: how many people were saying "Boy I sure wish there'd be a sequel to Mary Poppins" before Disney greenlit one?

Right.

The Sequel That Nobody Wanted. ;)
P.L. Travers actually expected Walt to come for a sequel and lay waiting. She hated the film, but loved the money more. Of course, Walt decided they couldn't afford Julie Andrews anymore, and died before anything could be done. And that's when Travers really started lambasting the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom