Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

TJJohn12

...I think this was more a strategic choice than an artistic one. The separation limits conflict with the still dynamic SW universe the company is developing elsewhere. It also allows them to do cross-overs where they chose... without having to try to retrocon the park stuff into old films, etc.

I'm seeing it as a strategic, artistic choice. It's a hard learned lesson by WDI too.

By keeping this as its own place - with largely self-contained stories and lore - it means they'll hopefully avoid the massive wet fart of a continuity destroyer that is Star Tours: The Adventure Continues. There's a case where being too integrated into the "ride the movies" mentality has created a muddled mess. Making a ride locked-in as a prequel severely hamstrung their choices and set them on a path to continuity failure. A ride set in between Episode III and Episode IV now has random scenes from Episode VII and Episode VIII because of the inevitable marketing integration of the newer films. So you leap forward and back in time in weird ways - you can leave Star Tours' terminal when Darth Vader is alive and land on Batuu sometime after the battle of Takodana...

Setting Batuu in the canon's "present" has also helped this greatly. It means Original Trilogy fanbois are angry that Han is dead and isn't telling you how to fly the Falcon. But it means that when there is inevitably a cross-promotion with a coming SW film, that integration can be organic and not shoehorned.

Mike S

Put on a red T-shirt and take a trip to Target - you’ll see that name tags don’t mean anything. Problem still not solved.

For the record - I’m not sure the problem necessarily needs solving. It can’t be causing too many issues at WWOHP since they haven’t enforced a no-costume policy there.
Well you can’t stop stupid people from being stupid.

Bleed0range

I'm seeing it as a strategic, artistic choice. It's a hard learned lesson by WDI too.

By keeping this as its own place - with largely self-contained stories and lore - it means they'll hopefully avoid the massive wet fart of a continuity destroyer that is Star Tours: The Adventure Continues. There's a case where being too integrated into the "ride the movies" mentality has created a muddled mess. Making a ride locked-in as a prequel severely hamstrung their choices and set them on a path to continuity failure. A ride set in between Episode III and Episode IV now has random scenes from Episode VII and Episode VIII because of the inevitable marketing integration of the newer films. So you leap forward and back in time in weird ways - you can leave Star Tours' terminal when Darth Vader is alive and land on Batuu sometime after the battle of Takodana...

Setting Batuu in the canon's "present" has also helped this greatly. It means Original Trilogy fanbois are angry that Han is dead and isn't telling you how to fly the Falcon. But it means that when there is inevitably a cross-promotion with a coming SW film, that integration can be organic and not shoehorned.

I love that they set it on its own planet. That means I can make it “my” story. Narcaan Dilaud, smuggler, however I’ve come to Batuu in search of this scrap shop that has... a bit more than scrap. There’s someone who is willing to pay me a lot of credits for what they may have there.

Mike S

I love that they set it on its own planet. That means I can make it “my” story. Narcaan Dilaud, smuggler, however I’ve come to Batuu in search of this scrap shop that has... a bit more than scrap. There’s someone who is willing to pay me a lot of credits for what they may have there.
BA name. Sort of has an old west vibe.

bclane

Good points. I’m one of those fans that is angry that Han is dead even though I know that is what Ford wanted. I just wish they would have integrated some kind of very obvious Han Solo tribute into the ride. Could have been as simple Han Solo tribute area even if all it was was was a hallway with a bunch of Han’s best Imperial wanted posters or whatever. I’m sure they could have figured out something that would have brought Han into the picture and would have been something that would have meant a lot to fans.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Cast wears name tags, guests don’t.

Problem solved.

Name tags are small and only visible if you are facing the person directly.

Police have badges... why do they bother wearing uniforms too? Or any role for that matter?

Because you need more than a physical ID to serve the purposes a uniform or making it easy for guests.

It's not about people being stupid... it's about things like 'when I look out over a crowd... who stands out as my beacon to look for help' or 'if in a wall of commotion... who is the authoritative one'

drod1985

Good points. I’m one of those fans that is angry that Han is dead even though I know that is what Ford wanted. I just wish they would have integrated some kind of very obvious Han Solo tribute into the ride. Could have been as simple Han Solo tribute area even if all it was was was a hallway with a bunch of Han’s best Imperial wanted posters or whatever. I’m sure they could have figured out something that would have brought Han into the picture and would have been something that would have meant a lot to fans.

That’s totally reasonable. Or maybe something even more subtle, like a DL-44 or Han’s dice showing up somewhere.

Bleed0range

That’s totally reasonable. Or maybe something even more subtle, like a DL-44 or Han’s dice showing up somewhere.

I mean it’s not that hard to put some of Han’s stuff INSIDE the Falcon. There should be his blaster or something still in there. Chewie owns it after all. Or Hondo could have just made an off comment joke about a moment of silence for his fallen friend Han that lasts about .02 seconds and then he yells that time is money!

dothebrdwalk

Has anyone noticed how the light aspects of the wood in the transition tunnels look like you're in "light speed" kind of? Am I crazy? I'm hoping we get a detail like this here!!

D8JVpdPU0AAe8-p.jpg

durangojim

Makes me think of Narcan Dilaudid, opioid dealer. ;)

Last edited:

matt9112

Put on a red T-shirt and take a trip to Target - you’ll see that name tags don’t mean anything. Problem still not solved.

For the record - I’m not sure the problem necessarily needs solving. It can’t be causing too many issues at WWOHP since they haven’t enforced a no-costume policy there.

common sense....why do we facilitate idiocy?

flynnibus

Premium Member
common sense....why do we facilitate idiocy?

So you consider things like signs, or directional aides, or other assistance only for idiots as well?

How about standardized road signs?? You can just read the sign right? Why does anyone need predictability or easier recognition when you could just READ?

Why are uniforms made to be identifiable in the first place if people can just have name tags?

Clearly the world has been wasting time and effort for a century when you can just blame people as idiots if they don't go through the details provided.. somewhere.

erasure fan1

I just feel like the wait times are getting raked across the coals repeatedly, when we all knew it was going to be busy.
It does look like TDO sorely underestimated how many people are interested in building a $200 lightsaber though.
The 2nd thing is the problem. This is what Disney seems to do best now. Under build everything. So I see why people are complaining about wait times. Savis and the cantina could have been twice the capacity but they chose not to.
To me, the guests at Universal wearing a robe in no way looked like their 'CMs'.
Exactly, just like the average guest at Disney won't look like a cast member if they have their robe on. I can kinda see not wanting 501st quality costumes. But it's a tad moronic that I can't buy a jedi robe and put it on over my cargo shorts and tank top.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom