To read reviews, or go in fresh?

Read galaxy’s edge reviews before going?

• Yes

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

winstongator

Original Poster
I am debating whether or not to read the reviews and listen to the podcasts on galaxy’s edge. This is the one land I’m really looking forward to. We live in FL, so DHS is where we’ll mostly see it, but we will be in SoCal in July and I may sneak a peak then. Do I want to be completely surprised by what’s there? Or as surprised as I can be after reading and seeing as much as I have.

I was ambivalent towards Pandora and it was the podcast reviews that pushed me to hunt for fast passes and carve a special visit for it that first summer. We also read up on WWoHP before our first visit, but that wasn’t a world I was as invested in. We were a,so goin* years after it had opened.

Anyone else avoiding the review articles and thread until after they visit?

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Nope, the way I see it is watch, read or listen to the reviews but it will never beat your own experience of visiting for the first time. I watched a ton of videos for Pandora of walkthroughs etc but going in myself for the first time was amazing.

bUU

This land is going to be crazy crowded, so researching it ahead of time might give me tips that will help be enjoy it more, or see things I might otherwise miss.
The unfortunate truth is that the chances are quite small than any random person's personal preferences will align so closely with yours that their opinions will provide useful insights to your visit. You really have to invest time getting to know other forum members personally to find the small handful that share your views closely enough that "what they like" you'll like and "what they don't like" you won't like. Otherwise, you end up being affected by the opinions of people you like rather than by the insights of people like you who really will help you understand.

But luckily there is a better way:

I'd watch the POVs then probably go in and decide for myself if it was were worth it.
Bingo! POVs are still affected by editorial discretion but only slightly, and as such provide you a pretty clear view of reality untainted by personal preferences you may not share. It's a whole new world (pardon the movie reference), learning about what different venues have to offer when you can see them through someone else's eyes (camera), instead of filtered through their personal disposition.

180º

Honestly, I suggest you read reviews because there is so much to do that you may not realize even exists just by going into the land fresh. There are many wonderful peripheral experiences around the land, and most of them aren’t clearly marked in English.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The unfortunate truth is that the chances are quite small than any random person's personal preferences will align so closely with yours that their opinions will provide useful insights to your visit. You really have to invest time getting to know other forum members personally to find the small handful that share your views closely enough that "what they like" you'll like and "what they don't like" you won't like. Otherwise, you end up being affected by the opinions of people you like rather than by the insights of people like you who really will help you understand.

But luckily there is a better way:

Bingo! POVs are still affected by editorial discretion but only slightly, and as such provide you a pretty clear view of reality untainted by personal preferences you may not share. It's a whole new world (pardon the movie reference), learning about what different venues have to offer when you can see them through someone else's eyes (camera), instead of filtered through their personal disposition.

I am not talking about learning preferences, I am talking about learning facts. For example they may point out Easter eggs that I am not aware of or areas of the land that I might miss. They may also provide tips that will help me better navigate the land. I also find that good reviews will not just say why they did or did not like something, but also why which I can use even if their preference doesn't align with mine.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Honestly, I suggest you read reviews because there is so much to do that you may not realize even exists just by going into the land fresh. There are many wonderful peripheral experiences around the land, and most of them aren’t clearly marked in English.

I always think of the Knockturn Alley section of Diagon Alley in Universal. It's very easy to miss if you don't know it's there. I think I actually heard about it in a review so I knew to look for it.

winstongator

Original Poster
This land is going to be crazy crowded, so researching it ahead of time might give me tips that will help be enjoy it more, or see things I might otherwise miss.
Good point. I’ll likely read up on the maps. In diagon alley, knowing to hit Ollivanders first thing to get picked was great advice.
I'd watch the POVs then probably go in and decide for myself if it was were worth it.
I need to practice reading Aurebesh, but using the okay parks app should help.
I always think of the Knockturn Alley section of Diagon Alley in Universal. It's very easy to miss if you don't know it's there. I think I actually heard about it in a review so I knew to look for it.
This is the best argument for. If we go in July, I might try to do that fresh, and then optimize when we go in Orlando.

FoozieBear

I always feel that if I believe I'll be there at some point, I'll refrain from watching videos so I can experience the wonder of it for myself when I step in. Since I don't see visiting SWGE as a far-off opportunity, I'll hold off on seeing videos of this.

djkidkaz

The couple reviews I saw left me with the impression that the reviewers were forcing their enthusiasm for the land. I think that the land has setup such high expectations that due hard fans are going to walk away not being completely fulfilled.

winstongator

Original Poster
The couple reviews I saw left me with the impression that the reviewers were forcing their enthusiasm for the land. I think that the land has setup such high expectations that due hard fans are going to walk away not being completely fulfilled.
I have had this worry. I know it won’t be westworld immersion, but better than the wizarding world is what I wanted. I hope it’s a spot where I want to hang out for long stretches, more so than Pandora. Pandora is still awesome though, although my expectations and hopes for it were very limited.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

That's my thought, too. Read reviews to get hints and tips (like the issues some had with the seats on FoP), things like that. But I'll ignore the "they ruined the franchise!" opinions I'm sure we will read.

doctornick

I do not get to go frequently. So it is always a debate between wanting to experience something new without any preconceptions but balancing that I would like to avoid "missing out" on stuff out of ignorance. There's going to be a lot of little stuff with GE that I hope to experience when I finally make my way there.

I try to avoid on ride spoilers though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom