Disney Pays Employee Tuition

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am intrigued by this. I wish they would list which specific "34 undergraduate degrees" were available- because I'd absolutely tell my kid to get a job at Disney for a free Biology degree!
The "free" biology degree would be just as "free" as "free" dining...

JIMINYCR

WHAAAAT???? Cant be true..... Must be wrong. We constantly hear how horrible Disney is, how they underpay and mistreat the CM's. They are greedy, selfish, self seeking people who grab every penny they get from us to line their own pockets. Giving a benefit to their workers ????
If they can pay for CM's tuition they certainly could drop the price for a room or a park ticket so more people can afford a Disney trip. So is that where all the money from parking fees are going? I'm calling my congressman to complain about this injustice. :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

jloucks

WHAAAAT???? Cant be true..... Must be wrong. We constantly hear how horrible Disney is, how they underpay and mistreat the CM's. They are greedy, selfish, self seeking people who grab every penny they get from us to line their own pockets. Giving a benefit to their workers ????
If they can pay for CM's tuition they certainly could drop the price for a room or a park ticket so more people can afford a Disney trip. So is that where all the money from parking fees are going? I'm calling my congressman to complain about this injustice. :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

I can assure you, they are not doing it out of kindness. They are everything you said.

Caps, kickbacks, tax breaks, indenturement, ....something is at play. Not buying the "giant corporate monster suddenly has a heart". Not for a second.

Most positive spin I see is this is an retention tool. If you leave, you owe some amount of non-depreciated tuition amount.

dhslxop

I can assure you, they are not doing it out of kindness. They are everything you said.

Caps, kickbacks, tax breaks, indenturement, ....something is at play. Not buying the "giant corporate monster suddenly has a heart". Not for a second.

Most positive spin I see is this is an retention tool. If you leave, you owe some amount of non-depreciated tuition amount.
I'm a Disney CM using Disney Aspire, and truly it is a great program! I mean, I guess you can say it's a retention tool, but if I chose to leave the company I would be responsible for paying the rest of my way if I wanted to continue the program, but I would not owe Disney any money for the programs they have already paid for.

jloucks

I'm a Disney CM using Disney Aspire, and truly it is a great program! I mean, I guess you can say it's a retention tool, but if I chose to leave the company I would be responsible for paying the rest of my way if I wanted to continue the program, but I would not owe Disney any money for the programs they have already paid for.

You are probably right, but if you are not sure, I would check. Many of these programs have a payback clause if you leave too soon after they start paying in.

Disstevefan1

A question out to the cast members, is it like a grant and the courses are paid for no matter what grade you get (pass or fail) or is it like other companies you get a percentage covered based on the grade you receive ( A gets 100 percent covered, Grade C gets 75 percent covered etc. ) ?

JIMINYCR

Still, the CM's are still getting a heck of a benefit that other companies dont give out. Give Dis some credit. Even if it is a retention tool, the CM's are getting a win. In the long run, CM's are becoming better educated and will be in a better position to advance in Dis. If they leave they are in a better position to apply and get a job elsewhere with a degree. And I see nothing wrong with Dis not continuing to pay for the program IF the CM leaves, because they are not getting a return on their investment, which is a higher educated staff member.

Chef Mickey

The motivation is irrelevant and the fact it somehow benefits Disney goes without saying.

Corporations and capitalism do a lot of good...far more than the people complaining about them.

Companies invest. Investing in people is just part of the strategy.

jloucks

The motivation is irrelevant and the fact it somehow benefits Disney goes without saying.

Corporations and capitalism do a lot of good...far more than the people complaining about them.

Companies invest. Investing in people is just part of the strategy.

Motivation is always relevant. Understanding "why" makes for better decision making. It is a powerful predictor of the future.

The companies that pay staff well and/or offer great benefits, do a lot of good. The ones that don't, don't.

When I worked at Wal Mart back when Sam Walton still walked the stores, the pay sucked, but the benefits were world class. Healthcare was near free to the staff and covered everything! I was in a horrible near death car accident, and Wal Mart covered it all! So, not a big ole drain on society like Wal Mart today. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) today the taxpayers come to the rescue of the impoverished staff. Sort of. You can still go bankrupt for healthcare reasons. Which should be an embarrassment for us as a society.

When Sam died, we called what happened next, "The revenge of management". It was a dark time. Capitalism unleashed without Sam in control was brutal. Benefits were the first to go. I was there and witnessed Walmart going from a good company that valued its workers to a company that viewed workers as expendable resources. It was ugly, and it happened all across our country. Companies before the mid 80's were pretty good to their people. Something happened. Something changed. Loyalty died. People became work-meat and still are to this day in all low pay low benefit companies. Lol,, still better than that 1800's tho.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom