Rumor D23 Expo 2019 expected announcements

peter11435

Like I said earlier, Fantasia was going to have a boat ride in Beastly Kingdom. And most of the animals in this film act and dress like humans.

tenor.gif
Not exactly.

And, they didn’t build it.

peter11435

What about Dinoland? It is a human made dig site that was turned into a dino themed Carnival. A lot of the land is made up of goofy looking cartoon dinosaurs. That bare no resemblance to real dinosaurs.
What do you think the theme of animal kingdom is? And don’t post the dedication speech again because that’s not it. Dinoland (including the awful dinorama) fits just fine.

SCOTLORR

Yes, but, to be fair . . . It’s universally agreed that it should have been built.

I see both points but I tend to lean towards Zootopia would be fine at the back of the park. Would I prefer South America? Yes, I would.
Maybe South America with a Rio show/ride? it's unlikely to get a brand new land without any IP presence, but I think a limited amount of Rio would be a happy compromise for both sides of the IP debate. Although it's not much of a debate anymore.

yensidtlaw1969

Yes, but, to be fair . . . It’s universally agreed that it should have been built.

I see both points but I tend to lean towards Zootopia would be fine at the back of the park. Would I prefer South America? Yes, I would.
It’s universally agreed that we would have liked for it to be built, but that doesn't mean it automatically fit the park perfectly. The Fantasia hippos don’t really speak to the mission of the park, fantastic though they would have been to encounter.

MickeyMouse10

Announcement wise I'd be happy with just a Stitch replacement and Mary Poppins (a timeless version) attraction. I'm going to set the bar low though so I'm not disappointed.

I'm sure most of D23 will be about things that have been announced. How many years did they talk about Pandora in AK? It felt like forever.

999th Happy Haunt

The main reason Zootopia doesn’t belong in DAK, in my eyes, is because of the setting. It’s a giant metropolitan city. It would be so out of place with how lush every other land in the park, and go against the idea that most buildings in the park are to stay below the tree line. Add on top of that the lack of a conservation message and characters that are more like people than animals, and you have a very poor fit for DAK.

Sorry to get off-topic again, I just had to get that out.

MickeyMouse10

The main reason Zootopia doesn’t belong in DAK, in my eyes, is because of the setting. It’s a giant metropolitan city. It would be so out of place with how lush every other land in the park, and go against the idea that most buildings in the park are to stay below the tree line. Add on top of that the lack of a conservation message and characters that are more like people than animals, and you have a very poor fit for DAK.

If we went by the rules that everything must look exactly the same there would be no...

- Different lands in "Magic Kingdom"
- World Showcase in "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow"
- Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land in "Hollywood Studios"
- Pandora, Dinoland and possibly Zootopia in "Animal Kingdom"

Disney Maddux

This I see as the one good point against Zootopia in DAK. But it's also immediately discouraged if this were to take over Planet Watch, cause it'd be away from everything else and you wouldn't be able to see any of it until you actually entered the area.

999th Happy Haunt

If we went by the rules that everything must look exactly the same there would be no...

You can’t drag the other 3 parks in when discussing something like this, their design philosophies are so much different from each other and especially from Animal Kingdom. Pandora’s beautiful landscapes and mountains fit in great with the natural feel of Animal Kingdom, and for as cheesey as Dino-rama is, it still keeps the gritty feel of the rest of the park and contributes to the overall story in Dinoland of how we interpret and interact animals that no longer exist.

Putting a modern city in the park would be an absolute slap in the face to the parks original concept. You cannot tell a story of how humans interact with nature in a land designed without humans in mind.

peter11435

First of all. The fact that mistakes were made in the past or that other parks failed to adhere to their themes perfectly is not and should not be a justification for doing it again.

Pandora and Dinoland both fit perfectly within the theme of the park.

BlakeW39

I don't understand why people don't want Zootopia in Animal. It has just animals in the fricking movie and zoo in it's title.

And most important of all it will make a lot of money. Much like Pandora (which is at the same park) the franchise will be relevant for the next 10+ years. Thanks to the 2 or more sequels Disney has planned for it.

Disney's Animal Kingdom is the most thematically consistent park Disney has. The fact that you question this means you do not fully grasp the themes which are DAK. DAK is not just a park 'with animals.'

Disney's Animal Kingdom is built around the intrinsic power and value of nature. It is both beautiful and lethal. Nature is at the parks core. Nature is wild; we bask in its glory and are humbled by its greatness. Animals of all kinds live by core principles and by the laws of nature. Animals are nature and are its "rulers" therefore it is the animals which make the kingdom. This is the central theme which is first and foremost to the park.

It first displays that nature is beautiful, and then that leads us to why we must conserve it. It ties together a reciprocal relationship between man and beast (nature). The majesty of nature is the motivation for conversational message, but the majesty of nature (thereby animals) is #1.

Disney's Animal Kingdom is story driven and focuses on transformation through adventure. It is what ties the other two themes together, that we embark upon a journey and it will change us. Hence why the park must all be in 1st person and cannot have book report dark rides.

Zootopia doesn't just defy these themes, it is the antithesis of them, and therefore fits less in DAK than nearly any other IP. In Zootopia, the natural world is no longer existant and has formed into human society. There is no more nature, it is gone, and animals are gone as they have all now pledged to new rules; not to those of the animal kingdom, but to those of society. The basal principles which are nature are not not acceptable in this world. All of nature is undermined in favor of society. There is no wild adventure to be had, no conservation to learn through it, and first and foremost, there is no nature to celebrate, it's gone. The Lion King and other Disney films have animals talking but they are still animals, who must abide by animal rules and act as animals, face the same pressures which animals do. The Lion King - The Circle of Life. The talking or clothes bit isn't the problem.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom