DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

PG 134

Just like the main gates (after they added touchpoints) I imagine they use ropes because metal gates or walls give off the wrong feeling in people. You think of a closed mall, subway station, or worse: JAIL instead of Disney World.

Adding to this....
Just like touch points, security lanes open and close frequently depending on time of day and traffic level. It is easier(quicker) to undo a chain or rope than a fence. It would also make it easier for an evacuation if needed.

Herbie

So does everyone now has to go through the metal detectors? Or is it still random? I always get picked out at “random”.. I guess it’s because I have a middle eastern look. Was really hoping they’d change that cause it does make me feel unfair when I get picked for extra security..

Same. I think I fit the visual mold for 'troubled white young male'... I can't help my insomnia/rock star look, guys. 😒

Last edited:

Rider

From the center tram lines painted in the loop (of the 2nd photo-enlarge the photo and you'll see them), it looks as though they've designed the area to hold two trams in each position. Obviously they're starting to think even more efficiently when it comes to getting guests back to their cars. Now let's see if they actually use what's been designed!
It's just space to park a spare or to allow one tram to pass another. They won't be dual loading trams.

mm121

Interesting to see the old building surrounded by fencing, either for renovations or demolition.

But if demolishish Kinda odd they didn't just demolish it when they did the rest of that area

It would open up the plaza more and allow the two pink sidewalks with palms to merge into one another nicer.

If they are demolishing it that would be a great spot to relocate the Mickey planter to.

MickeyMouse10

If they put in a parking Garage, they could expand Hollywood even more. For Indy Land or another Pixar land.

Truthfully they should be doing garages at all of the parks. It can open up land for more resorts as well that don't fall under the strict nature/animal rules.

Timothy_Q

If they put in a parking Garage, they could expand Hollywood even more. For Indy Land or another Pixar land.

Truthfully they should be doing garages at all of the parks. It can open up land for more resorts as well that don't fall under the strict nature/animal rules.
MK, Epcot and DAK have basically an infinite amount of space to expand without having to spend a ton on garages

Even DHS has a lot of easier options still before they need a garage

MickeyMouse10

MK, Epcot and DAK have basically an infinite amount of space to expand without having to spend a ton on garages

Even DHS has a lot of easier options still before they need a garage

Even if it isn't for expansion in the park it could be worth it. How much would someone pay to stay at a resort connected to a park ala Grand Californian?

Lensman

I do wonder what the trends have been in number of cars parked vs attendance. It seems to me that increased proportion of on-site guests with transportation included might reduce the need for available parking - or at least has slowed growth over time.

At some point in the far future, few people will need parking because most will just have their self-driving car drop them off.

A pre-cast parking structure has a 50-year lifespan. Given that autonomous vehicles could preclude the need for a parking structure 30 years from now or sooner, I wonder if we'd ever see one?

Note that another nice thing about a surface lot is that the ground prep and water management prep are a good first step to building a hotel or other structure on it, so strategically it may be preferred to build another surface lot than a parking structure.

I'll additionally wonder whether we'll see Disney experiment with water-permeable parking lot options. Or I wonder if those just don't make sense for them due to ground permeability/saturation issues - that the water would be standing for too long so it's better to redirect to retention ponds to prevent standing surface water in the lots.

mm121

I do wonder what the trends have been in number of cars parked vs attendance. It seems to me that increased proportion of on-site guests with transportation included might reduce the need for available parking - or at least has slowed growth over time.

At some point in the far future, few people will need parking because most will just have their self-driving car drop them off.

A pre-cast parking structure has a 50-year lifespan. Given that autonomous vehicles could preclude the need for a parking structure 30 years from now or sooner, I wonder if we'd ever see one?

Note that another nice thing about a surface lot is that the ground prep and water management prep are a good first step to building a hotel or other structure on it, so strategically it may be preferred to build another surface lot than a parking structure.

I'll additionally wonder whether we'll see Disney experiment with water-permeable parking lot options. Or I wonder if those just don't make sense for them due to ground permeability/saturation issues - that the water would be standing for too long so it's better to redirect to retention ponds to prevent standing surface water in the lots.
Self Driving Cars will still need a place to park unless they are so prohibitively expensive to own that the majority of them end up just for ridesharing services.

MickeyMouse10

You can build hotels around the parks without having to build garages

See: the Star Wars hotel

Yeah, that's true.

But more land can be freed up by building things high rather than spreading it out. Look at the old layouts for the moderates compared to the new towers. And the old ground parking at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs compared to the new garages.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom