"Aladdin" live action movie remake

trainplane3

So I managed to find the Friend Like Me scene on social media already. You can almost overlook the vocals because of the overall spectacle of the scene itself. And there's this nice little homage to the original:
https://ibb.co/jM4k8dT
Look familiar?

Last edited:

Tick Tock

I'm always cautious with the RT score. Sometimes it's spot-on for me, other times it's nowhere near.

The Dumbo remake, for instance, was far better (imo) than what the RT score suggests. With other movies, it's been the other way around.
I'll have my own opinion for Al by this weekend...

BasiltheBatLord

I thought it was pretty good. Better than the reviews are saying. I’ve been hearing rumblings that it’s getting good audience reactions despite the reviews.

Did have some problems though: the obligatory feminist PC stuff shoved in, almost all of the songs felt kind of “off” and the beginning of the film felt too fast-paced.

I don’t entirely understand the complaints about the live-actions so far, I think all of them have been pretty good except Dumbo. None of them are great or anything, but they’re better than most of the garbage Hollywood is consistently spewing out. I do wish they would take some more risks at making the films a bit darker and more mature though.

Last edited:

Mike S

I thought it was pretty good. Better than the reviews are saying. I’ve been hearing rumblings that it’s getting good audience reactions despite the reviews.

Did have some problems though: the obligatory feminist PC stuff shoved in, almost all of the songs felt kind of “off” and the beginning of the film felt too fast-paced.

I don’t entirely understand the complaints about the live-actions so far, I think all of them have been pretty good except Dumbo. None of them are great or anything, but they’re better than most of the garbage Hollywood is consistently spewing out. I do wish they would take some more risks at making the films a bit darker and more mature though.
I don’t get why they made it that Jasmine wants to be Sultan. They already made her an independent character in the cartoon or did everyone making this movie forget that? She already “didn’t need no man.” She just wanted it that if she did marry that it would be for love.

Also her introduction in this movie is crap. The way the cartoon did it was much better. The cartoon gave you time to get to know the two leads before they met so we already knew they had feelings of being trapped in common with one another.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The audience rating at RT is a surprising 91%, but, there are only 246 reviews. I'm sure that'll change. IMDB's audience when up three points to 69. MetaCritic went down a point to 54.

RT Freshness: 60
RT Critics: 59
RT Audience: 91
IMDB Audience: 69
MetaCritic: 54
CinemaScore: TBD

KBLovedDisney

After seeing Beauty and the Beast 'live action', my expectations went waaaay down for Disney's 'live action' films that are just rehashes of the Disney's Renaissance films. (Why Disney? We don't need new versions of these already awesome animated films...). So far, I truly have no interest in seeing this. :( I know. Not good KB. Not good. The only 'live action' that was ok to me was the new Cinderella but other than that...eesh.

(That and I want a swarovski slipper like hers...see my avatar. :cautious:)

Tick Tock

After seeing Beauty and the Beast 'live action', my expectations went waaaay down for Disney's 'live action' films that are just rehashes of the Disney's Renaissance films. (Why Disney? We don't need new versions of these already awesome animated films...). So far, I truly have no interest in seeing this. :( I know. Not good KB. Not good. The only 'live action' that was ok to me was the new Cinderella but other than that...eesh.

(That and I want a swarovski slipper like hers...see my avatar. :cautious:)
The problem I had with BaTB was that the added changes and story "upgrades" ended up creating more plot holes than there were to begin with. Whereas in remakes that I enjoyed, (The Jungle Book, Dumbo, Cinderella), the additions complimented the original story, adding more depth and character.

But one example in BaTB that took me out of it, was having the Enchantress mingle with the townsfolk and hang out in places like Gaston's tavern, etc, disguised as an old woman. That simply illuminated the existing plot hole from the original of: If she's there to teach mean-spirited people a lesson by turning them into beasts, why did she never do anything to Gaston for his behavior? Just little stuff like that which probably belong in a different thread & discussion...

So back to topic, I'm with you in BaTB being a letdown. Dumbo brought some faith back, I'll see tonight how Aladdin holds up.

KBLovedDisney

The problem I had with BaTB was that the added changes and story "upgrades" ended up creating more plot holes than there were to begin with. Whereas in remakes that I enjoyed, (The Jungle Book, Dumbo, Cinderella), the additions complimented the original story, adding more depth and character.

But one example in BaTB that took me out of it, was having the Enchantress mingle with the townsfolk and hang out in places like Gaston's tavern, etc, disguised as an old woman. That simply illuminated the existing plot hole from the original of: If she's there to teach mean-spirited people a lesson by turning them into beasts, why did she never do anything to Gaston for his behavior? Just little stuff like that which probably belong in a different thread & discussion...

So back to topic, I'm with you in BaTB being a letdown. Dumbo brought some faith back, I'll see tonight how Aladdin holds up.
Let me know what you think of it! I've had heard a lot of mixed reviews.

DisneyGigi

Hmmm, been on vacation and not able to see a repeat of Endgame. Debated whether to see this or it again this weekend. I love Will Smith but kinda thinking I will see Avengers again. I do get the Fresh Prince humor he put in the trailers. Robin Williams is a tough act to follow though. I am just not feeling it.

jt04

All the negative tropes about Disney live action remakes will look silly by Tuesday.

Aladdin should have 100 million in the bank by then.

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't represent the general audience much.

Magenta Panther

All the negative tropes about Disney live action remakes will look silly by Tuesday.

Looks like nostalgia is helping Aladdin like it helped Beauty and the Beast. Wonder if it'll help Godzilla next weekend...?

Mike S

Transformers 4 & 5 (or was it 3 & 4?) both made over a billion.

Just an FYI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom