Forbes: Netflix Has 175 Days Left To Pull Off A Miracle... Or It's All Over (because of Disney+)

erasure fan1

If NBC decides to start their own streaming service, Netflix loses Friends, The Office, and Parks & Rec. That’s going to hurt them.
And that is what the real question is. What will happen when cord cutting costs more than cable because of micro subscriptions.
I actually don't think the original content is especially important. The library is what will keep people in.
It will be when all the major networks do their own streaming service and that "content" isn't available anymore. It's like what Syndrome said "and when everyones super, no one will be."

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It will be when all the major networks do there own streaming service and that "content" isn't available anymore. It's like what Syndrome said "and when everyones super, no one will be."
I agree with you, I was referring to the competitive advantage of Disney+, not Netflix. Disney's content is their own so they're not susceptible to that risk.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We have Netflix and I really think it's just Meh. Outside of a few things here or there it isn't worth it in my eyes. I went to cancel and my wife wants to keep it until Disney+ starts. Then it's done. The only thing coming to Netflix that really interests me is the witcher series. And if it is good, I'll do like what @CaptainAmerica said, I'll sign back up for a month watch the things I want and be done.

The same things can be said for Disney+. Once the price increases start (and they WILL start) the original content better be great. I can see myself keeping it for a few months, watching the stuff I want, then canceling. I could also love it and never cancel. As they say, content is king, and Disney has a lot of it so advantage them. But it's still way early to count out Netflix.
We are in the same place with Netflix.

Now that Marvel is gone, Stranger Things and Lucifer are really the only exclusive content we watch on Netflix. Both of those can be binge watched in 2 weeks.

If that does not change when Disney+ launches, Netflix is going the way of the Dodo.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
On a slight tangent.
I see Netflix will be releasing a Dark Crystal prequel series
We are in the same place with Netflix.

Now that Marvel is gone, Stranger Things and Lucifer are really the only exclusive content we watch on Netflix. Both of those can be binge watched in 2 weeks.

If that does not change when Disney+ launches, Netflix is going the way of the Dodo.
The international market has longer as we can't get hulu (atm) and Disney+ won't be over here for a while.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
On a slight tangent.
I see Netflix will be releasing a Dark Crystal prequel series

The international market has longer as we can't get hulu (atm) and Disney+ won't be over here for a while.
Forgot about that one. Age of Resistance will be higher on the list than the other two, but the same situation still stands. We will drop our $10 once a year or sponge off one of our kids like they have been doing to us for years.

EDIT: I also forgot about Black Mirror, but the result will still be the same. $120 a year for 4 shows ain't happening when I have Xfinity, Amazon and Disney+ in my tool box.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Personally, I will have both Netflix/Prime and Disney+. Netflix/Prime I watch a lot of weirder MST3K b-movies while Disney+ will just be for star wars content. I don't care about Marvel. There are no little kids around here so I don't need Disney movies anymore. I also have a roku for other free services and indoor antenna for local news.

CJR

I don't know how many people know this, but Netflix did score the Narnia series. It's a bit ironic since Disney/Fox are behind the first three films. The Netflix series will be a reboot, from scratch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The article is under the assumption that movies will be on Disney+ the same day as the cinema, which it isn't. Think it's 9 months later.

In fact, Iger has talked about that many times and each time he was emphatic that as much as D+ is the company's top priority, Disney will absolutely not monkey around with the various distribution windows (theater > ppv > cable > broadcast > DVD > streaming). Each window is a new source of income.

So... Forbes analyst.... fail.

prberk

Original Poster
I really hope that Disney+ includes "deep cut" library titles like the old Disney live action movies and TV shows and specials. I am not particularly hopeful about the specials, but I would be very happy if they had them.

I am talking about things like the original Walt Disney Christmas Special (his first TV show, which gave him the idea that TV could actually work and help him sell his movies and parks), the various parks specials (EPCOT opening day, anyone?), Moochie of Little League, the original Mickey Mouse Club, WDW Inside/Out, etc.

Yes, my geek meter is up, but I think Disney always does best when it throws some classics in with its huge volume of contemporary things.

Indy_UK

In fact, Iger has talked about that many times and each time he was emphatic that as much as D+ is the company's top priority, Disney will absolutely not monkey around with the various distribution windows (theater > ppv > cable > broadcast > DVD > streaming). Each window is a new source of income.

So... Forbes analyst.... fail.

Exactly. That line of release windows works for them and I totally agree that it’s the way they should Stick too. I don’t get why the article suggests otherwise?

Tony Perkis

Well thank god your opinion isn't actually accurate at all. There may be ONE must-watch show for you but there are many others that move the needle.
Bingo.

Netflix will continually have my money as long as they produce content like:

-Stranger Things
-Bojack Horseman
-The Crown
-Black Mirror
-Peaky Blinders (I know this is a co-production with BBC)
-Mystery Science Theatre 3000
-Glow
-Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
-Orange is the New Black
-Altered Carbon
-Lost in Space
-Santa Clarita Diet
-House of Cards (seasons 1-3 level quality please)
-Narcos
-The Toys that Made Us
-Master of None
-Bloodline
-Godless
-Derek
-Countless great standup specials
-Triple Frontier
-Highwayman
-Roma
-13 Reasons Why
-Grace & Frankie
-The Haunting of Hill House
-Norsemen
-Daredevil
-The Punisher
-Jessica Jones
-Ozark
-Making a Murderer
-American Vandal
-Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
-Mindhunter
-Magic for Humans
-A Futile and Stupid Gesture

And many more additional one-offs.

If I want the Marvel and Star Wars, I’ll just buy them and stream them on Vudu or iTunes. Netflix produces enough quality original content to maintain a strong membership base.

Will their numbers go down after Disney+ launches? Undoubtedly, yes, but not enough to even really begin discussing the end of Netflix.

SteveBrickNJ

Bingo.

Netflix will continually have my money as long as they produce content like:

-Stranger Things
-Bojack Horseman
-The Crown
-Black Mirror
-Peaky Blinders (I know this is a co-production with BBC)
-Mystery Science Theatre 3000
-Glow
-Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
-Orange is the New Black
-Altered Carbon
-Lost in Space
-Santa Clarita Diet
-House of Cards (seasons 1-3 level quality please)
-Narcos
-The Toys that Made Us
-Master of None
-Bloodline
-Godless
-Derek
-Countless great standup specials
-Triple Frontier
-Highwayman
-Roma
-13 Reasons Why
-Grace & Frankie
-The Haunting of Hill House
-Norsemen
-Daredevil
-The Punisher
-Jessica Jones
-Ozark
-Making a Murderer
-American Vandal
-Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
-Mindhunter
-Magic for Humans
-A Futile and Stupid Gesture

And many more additional one-offs.

If I want the Marvel and Star Wars, I’ll just buy them and stream them on Vudu or iTunes. Netflix produces enough quality original content to maintain a strong membership base.

Will their numbers go down after Disney+ launches? Undoubtedly, yes, but not enough to even really begin discussing the end of Netflix.
Additionally, Netflix is reaching out to Asian viewers. Netflix is looking to move into India in the near future and seeking to add 100 million new subscribers in Southeast Asia in the coming years.
Netflix is already airing original Asian Drama content.
I'm not aware if it is viewed by their company as "paying off"/ increasing profit. I've no idea.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Additionally, Netflix is reaching out to Asian viewers. Netflix is looking to move into India in the near future and seeking to add 100 million new subscribers in Southeast Asia in the coming years.
Netflix is already airing original Asian Drama content.
I'm not aware if it is viewed by their company as "paying off"/ increasing profit. I've no idea.
Netflix is also making a lot of original content in Mexico at the moment and I think they're seeing this as a springboard for more Latin American content more generally. Roma is a shining example of this. I also don't know how much this is paying off, but it does show how far out ahead Netflix is as a streaming service in trying to understand and cater to different markets globally.

Personally, it's the original content such as Narcos, Better Call Saul, Master of None, some of the Mexican stuff such as House of Flowers, and a lot of the documentary series that keep me interested in Netflix. I might be an odd case, but I don't watch movies or re-watch old series too much which means the back catalogue isn't a huge factor for me. In fact, the only thing that would really get me interested in subscribing to Disney+ right now would be obscure fan service stuff such as the old Disneyland programs and park specials.

It's probably inevitable Netflix will lose a lot of market share as studios such as Disney start up their own streaming services and pull their catalogue from Netflix. The question, I guess, is whether the service can still be profitable on the basis of high-quality original content.

As to culturally relevant shows, I guess that depends on your perspective...
(This might require a small SNL-level language warning!)

Last edited:

Bartledvd

Here we have DisneyLife which i am sure will become Disney+ in time but it is only watched by our youngest son and nieces when they come over.
Netflix we use for new content it is extremely rare we would ever re watch anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom