Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I am so tired. But the good news is I don't have to be to work at 7:00 tomorrow morning. My team usually meets Wednesday mornings at 7:00 (last year we did 6:30), but we are done with that for the year! Just one more Monday left (thanks to Memorial Day).

PUSH, when is you last day of school -- must be coming up fairly soon? (Then, are you on vacation for the summer, or do you have school-related teacher meetings, etc., that you need to attend?)

PUSH

Original Poster
PUSH, when is you last day of school -- must be coming up fairly soon? (Then, are you on vacation for the summer, or do you have school-related teacher meetings, etc., that you need to attend?)
Our last day is June 7th. Over the summer I am no obligated to do anything, but I'm assuming I'll end up spending plenty of time meeting with my team and meeting so I can be part of other groups within our school. Although none of that will be paid.

Nemo14

Our last day is June 7th. Over the summer I am no obligated to do anything, but I'm assuming I'll end up spending plenty of time meeting with my team and meeting so I can be part of other groups within our school. Although none of that will be paid.
Don’t you have to take courses at all?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Nope. Last year I attended an optional, unpaid training for four days in June. But we have no such opportunities this year.

Glad you're out on June 7. You'll have most of the summer to enjoy. As for the unpaid training mentioned above, that doesn't seem right. They should pay you for that, at least.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Don’t you have to take courses at all?

Teachers in Wisconsin have a lifetime license now, no more credits or portfolios need to be done to renew. So unless a teacher wants to take classes for an advanced degree or for fun it isn't needed. We only need to get a background check every five years now. Although @PUSH might still be in a probation period so that might be different but I don't think so.

PUSH

Original Poster
Glad you're out on June 7. You'll have most of the summer to enjoy. As for the unpaid training mentioned above, that doesn't seem right. They should pay you for that, at least.
The reasoning is because it normally costs a teacher $500 to attend the training, but since our district was hosting it, we got in for free.

PUSH

Original Poster
Teachers in Wisconsin have a lifetime license now, no more credits or portfolios need to be done to renew. So unless a teacher wants to take classes for an advanced degree or for fun it isn't needed. We only need to get a background check every five years now. Although @PUSH might still be in a probation period so that might be different but I don't think so.
Yep, I'm still on my initial educators license. I have to complete one more year of teaching, then I can apply for my lifetime license, if it's still a thing at that point.

I do welcome training, as long as it's free on my end. I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my instruction, classroom management, etc. I enjoy learning more about teaching.

Nemo14

Wow that’s awesome. I had to either get my masters or 36 grad credits within 6 years of graduating to keep my certification. At the time that gave me lifetime certification, but teachers now have to keep taking classes forever.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yep, I'm still on my initial educators license. I have to complete one more year of teaching, then I can apply for my lifetime license, if it's still a thing at that point.

I do welcome training, as long as it's free on my end. I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my instruction, classroom management, etc. I enjoy learning more about teaching.

I think the lifetime license will still be a thing, at least for awhile, most teachers I know were pleasantly surprised by the change. I like learning new methods too, as long as I don't have to pay for it. Luckily our district is willing to send us to different trainings at our CESA. I have actually had to turn a couple down when my principal offered, they just weren't good times in the year to leave the classroom for them.

PUSH

Original Poster
I think the lifetime license will still be a thing, at least for awhile, most teachers I know were pleasantly surprised by the change. I like learning new methods too, as long as I don't have to pay for it. Luckily our district is willing to send us to different trainings at our CESA. I have actually had to turn a couple down when my principal offered, they just weren't good times in the year to leave the classroom for them.
I wish we had more PD. Each Wednesday afternoon our kids get out at 2:00 to allow for staff professional development. Our leadership makes that times so worthless, though. We could be doing do many cool, meaningful things. Instead we waste that valuable time.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Wow that’s awesome. I had to either get my masters or 36 grad credits within 6 years of graduating to keep my certification. At the time that gave me lifetime certification, but teachers now have to keep taking classes forever.

When I got my degree in 2005 teachers had to renew by getting 6 grad credits every 5 years. I ended up getting a masters degree because I had to take some classes anyway so I got my masters to move up on the pay schedule at the same time. Then in about 2007 new teachers had to complete a lengthy portfolio process to renew every 5 years. I still had the option of classes or the portfolio then a little bit before our last governor left lifetime licenses were brought back, they had been around in the 1960's-1980's.

I am all for the lifetime license, I think good teachers will continue their education and develop anyway. Now we just don't have to pay for grad credits to do it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I wish we had more PD. Each Wednesday afternoon our kids get out at 2:00 to allow for staff professional development. Our leadership makes that times so worthless, though. We could be doing do many cool, meaningful things. Instead we waste that valuable time.

We found that early release days were totally a waste for inservice time. So now we only have full day inservice days but some of the time we have to do useless things then too.

PUSH

Original Poster
When I got my degree in 2005 teachers had to renew by getting 6 grad credits every 5 years. I ended up getting a masters degree because I had to take some classes anyway so I got my masters to move up on the pay schedule at the same time. Then in about 2007 new teachers had to complete a lengthy portfolio process to renew every 5 years. I still had the option of classes or the portfolio then a little bit before our last governor left lifetime licenses were brought back, they had been around in the 1960's-1980's.

I am all for the lifetime license, I think good teachers will continue their education and develop anyway. Now we just don't have to pay for grad credits to do it.
I think it's ridiculous that teachers were expected to pay for something they had to do in order to keep their jobs. There's just a lack of trust in education from a large part of society. And yes you have your one or two teachers in the building who might just be there for the summers, but the vast majority of us care so deeply about our students and their success that we put so many extra hours in to making sure they succeed.

Not that I don't care for all my kids, but I have one student right now who I absolutely love. He is kind, caring, funny, dedicated, and he has the most incredible attitude. I am so sad that I won't get to see him everyday anymore. I would bring him home and keep him if I could. It's sad that my communication and relationship with him will just stop on June 7th.

Nemo14

I didn’t do the Master’s thing. I took more math classes in college than I’d ever use so I figured I was better off taking a variety of classes that would help me relate to a variety of situations. DH went the Master’s route in Instructional technology.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

That's good to hear. In that case, if the course is being paid for by your school area, that's good. That makes up for not getting paid to take the class, I think.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So, with the Memorial Day weekend coming up, anyone have any holiday plans? We're not traveling anywhere--not a fan of holiday traffic. (AAA predicts record number of cars on the road this weekend--supposedly this afternoon and Friday will be the bigger getaway days for vacationers.) May meet up with my sister for lunch on Saturday. Other than that, just chillin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom