PotC mist screen removed/turned off for good

MerlinTheGoat

In a vacuum, the new Barbossa animatronic is a quality figure with a well executed (albeit very simple) skeleton effect. But it doesn't even fit in the scene they placed it in Paris, let alone if they put it in Florida.

The cavern scenes had an ominous and quiet presence that the stationary skeleton figures fit perfectly with. Adding in moving human figures to these scenes was a bad move. And Barbossa in particular was just plopped right in front of the helmsman skeleton with no thought whatsoever, it's a pointless and irritating intrusion to a really iconic and well done scene.

Putting the Barbossa figure in Florida's version would be an even bigger mistake. It would be just as intrusive, but the continuity would be even more messed up. The scene directly precedes the ship attacking the fort and would ruin the buildup of this reveal.

It's important to keep the cavern scenes quiet and subtle. They have good reason for being this way. And I'm usually someone extremely on-board with filling scenes with tons of animatronics. But the atmosphere of the caves requires a different handling. Adding excessive movement to these scene actually detracts from the experience. And especially placing another figure in front of the iconic skeleton helmsman is just a bad design choice.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Putting the Barbossa figure in Florida's version would be an even bigger mistake. It would be just as intrusive, but the continuity would be even more messed up. The scene directly precedes the ship attacking the fort and would ruin the buildup of this reveal.
Are you talking about adding another Barbossa? He's already in the Florida Project, up on the ship attacking the fort (presumably for hiding Captain Jack Sparrow).

Donaldfan37

I won’t argue that the facade and queue at Walt Disney World set a mood for the upcoming attraction. However, the same can be said for any attraction including Disneyland’s Pirates of the Caribbean. So the Florida version is still missing that very large piece to the experience in addition to much much more. The lack of the bayou is only one part of what makes the Florida version inferior. There literally twice as much ride at Disneyland and it’s all packed with detail and quality story telling.

Two drops were not impossible at Walt Disney World. They could have built an exact clone if they had wanted to. Choices were made. Whether they were influenced by time, budget, design or some combination is debatable. But the end result is an inferior product.

Disneyland’s is not all over the place. It’s actually more consistent in its use of time to tell the story.

As someone who went to Disneyland originally, but now lives in Florida, newsflash. I don't care that the DW version is missing the Blue Bayou. Yeah, it's an awesome scene. But you got to realize that much of Florida is like the Blue Bayou with swamplands and the same flora and fauna of southern Louisiana. Central and northern Florida both, in particular, have swamp lands with Spanish moss, cypress trees, etc, etc, like you see in the Blue Bayou. In fact, sometimes when I am walking through the woods at night, I feel like I am in the Blue Bayou from Disneyland. It's not a huge loss for Florida. It really isn't. I think the fort is fantastic. I love it. What a great queue. Now, I will say that the cave sequence is vastly superior in the Disneyland version. I miss that. I could care less about the powdered keg room and the going up the waterfall, but I do love those extra cave sequences and the extra drop. Therefore, I give Disneyland's Pirates a 10/10 and Magic Kingdom's an 8/10. Whereas, I see a trade off. I give Disneyland's Haunted Mansion an 8/10 and Magic Kingdom's a 10/10.

duder

I've ridden all 4 Pirates within the last year, and its no question that Paris is the superior version, with WDW's being an easy last.

I am partial to the bayou beginnings at Disneyland and Tokyo, and may say that I consider DL to be the funnest version depending on my mood, but objectively speaking, Paris is just better. It has an entire land built around the ride, the scenes are laid out in the most cohesive way, it has the lift hill and two drops, restaurant, etc.

Anaheim is great, and I love the beginning and the back to back drops, but the storytelling jumps around a bit. Tokyo is like Anaheim and WDW versions had a baby, but missing that 2nd drop, and WDW is the rushed cliffs notes version.

1. Paris, 2. Anaheim, 3.Tokyo >>>>>>>>>4.Orlando

GlacierGlacier

Did they actually? That’s pretty damn cool.
They did.

Linked below is a really great video about the development and installation of the attraction, compressed down into a 30 minute presentation. It's honestly one of my favorite theme park talks out there.

I have it linked to start when they're talking about the "Water Ceremony," but I highly recommend watching through the whole thing if you have time. It's quite impressive how this thing was put together.

Do note that, for some reason, the TEA have decided to make this video only watchable on Youtube. This link will open in another tab.

TEA Pirates Talk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom