News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

brb1006

So far as I know underneath the current surface is the original plinth. If so, the voids would still be there (and today not nearly as much room would be needed)

I’ll have to check the original plans for detail.
I wonder if anybody has more photos of the old Fountain with different colors besides orange and white? Maybe there's video footage.

jt04

They didn’t fit with the new image. If I recall it only cracked on removal.

Originally they were late being delivered. I want to say the last one was fitted around September 28ish 1982

I definitely remember one being cracked while in place. Assumed they couldn't replicate it so removed them.

Epcot_Imagineer

I’ll have to check the original plans for detail.
You have the plans of a theme park fountain built in the 80's... I'm just going to assume your house looks like this.

tribbleorlfl

I know this is asking a lot for some of you to exercise a degree of restraint and sensitivity, but kindly refrain from posting memes and joking about the LaL monuments. For some of us, our tiles ARE literal memorials, and finding that fact humorous for internet points is particularly disgusting.

In my case, my grandfather's tile was made on what would be his final visit to Disney. Even after the hundreds of visits I've made to WDW over the years, this particular day I still remember quite vividly (his parents immigrated from Norway and he particularly enjoyed his lunch at Akeshus) as I got to spend some time in one of my favorite places with one of my favorite people. The tile made made me smile every time I saw it and is one of the few tangible reminders I have of a great man: Navy veteran, public school teacher, Mason, church elder, volunteer and the kindest person I've ever known.

Look, I'm perfectly fine with the monuments being removed and the tiles being relocated outside the main entrance. They aren't particularly aesthetically pleasing and they severely restrict guest flow, so this will help everyone. I just find the unmitigated glee and jovity in their removal distasteful and disrespectful.

note2001

I know this is asking a lot for some of you to exercise a degree of restraint and sensitivity, but kindly refrain from posting memes and joking about the LaL monuments. For some of us, our tiles ARE literal memorials, and finding that fact humorous for internet points is particularly disgusting.

In my case, my grandfather's tile was made on what would be his final visit to Disney. Even after the hundreds of visits I've made to WDW over the years, this particular day I still remember quite vividly (his parents immigrated from Norway and he particularly enjoyed his lunch at Akeshus) as I got to spend some time in one of my favorite places with one of my favorite people. The tile made made me smile every time I saw it and is one of the few tangible reminders I have of a great man: Navy veteran, public school teacher, Mason, church elder, volunteer and the kindest person I've ever known.

Look, I'm perfectly fine with the monuments being removed and the tiles being relocated outside the main entrance. They aren't particularly aesthetically pleasing and they severely restrict guest flow, so this will help everyone. I just find the unmitigated glee and jovity in their removal distasteful and disrespectful.
I'm sorry if you feel this in the air. We are simply excited to see the entrance restored to what we fell in love with.

I've not seen anyone wishing for the images to be destroyed. Nearly all of us have lost loved ones since these were installed, so I believe we can relate.

brb1006

Sorry if you feel this way. It's just that a lot of us are excited to see the entrance back to it's original form (More modernized in a way).

General Mayhem

And this is exactly why it's been called a Graveyard and why it doesn't belong in a theme park... Just sayin'
PS: Don't take jokes about some rocks personal lol Your relatives etchings are still going to be displayed so I don't get the big deal?

Goofyernmost

Please try not to overreact to a thing that was only promised for a specific period of time to begin with. Besides they have said over and over that the pictures are being moved not destroyed. Sorry, about your grandfather, but, we will all be in that situation sooner or later and we are never promised another visit to what is basically an entertainment venue, not a memorial. It is not really a cemetery, was never meant to be, there is no requirement for solemn head bowing respect for a bunch of practically unrecognizable pictures. If people can't have a little laughter or joking about a display in a theme park, I guess there is no place where that is appropriate. They aren't rejoicing about the 1"X1" metal picture being removed, they are rejoicing about the removal of something that never seemed in place there to begin with.

Lensman

Please try not to overreact to a thing that was only promised for a specific period of time to begin with. Besides they have said over and over that the pictures are being moved not destroyed. Sorry, about your grandfather, but, we will all be in that situation sooner or later and we are never promised another visit to what is basically an entertainment venue, not a memorial. It is not really a cemetery, was never meant to be, there is no requirement for solemn head bowing respect for a bunch of practically unrecognizable pictures. If people can't have a little laughter or joking about a display in a theme park, I guess there is no place where that is appropriate. They aren't rejoicing about the 1"X1" metal picture being removed, they are rejoicing about the removal of something that never seemed in place there to begin with.
I don't disagree entirely, but I don't think @tribbleorlfl is overreacting. I think they are reacting appropriately and I'd probably do the same. The fault lies with Disney themselves putting LaL up in the first place in a prominent area knowing they would be bound to want to redesign the Epcot entranceway at some point in the future, creating this problem. It was a bad idea because was bound to become a memorial and memorials are emotionally hard to relocate once they are built because they create emotional baggage.

@tribbleorlfl is a victim of a bad Disney plan to manipulate the emotions of its guests. In that context and because it ruined the previous entranceway design that I was perfectly happy with, I'm glad it's going.

Goofyernmost

I don't disagree entirely, but I don't think @tribbleorlfl is overreacting. I think they are reacting appropriately and I'd probably do the same. The fault lies with Disney themselves putting LaL up in the first place in a prominent area knowing they would be bound to want to redesign the Epcot entranceway at some point in the future, creating this problem. It was a bad idea because was bound to become a memorial and memorials are emotionally hard to relocate once they are built because they create emotional baggage.

@tribbleorlfl is a victim of a bad Disney plan to manipulate the emotions of its guests. In that context and because it ruined the previous entranceway design that I was perfectly happy with, I'm glad it's going.
I cannot say that I disagree with that, however,@tribbleorlfl is not addressing Disney, the ones that you say are at fault, he/she is addressing the rest of us that are not in anyway dealing with a personal attack on an individual picture or it's history. I'm sure there are a lot of stories to be had in those pictures, but, this is a legacy promotion with an advertised shelf life. The fact that Disney is going to relocate them instead of trashing them should be more then enough. I don't think they promised anymore then a length of time at the time they were purchased. But, the way the statement was made was directed at shaming innocent people that were just making light of a long overdue situation. They didn't deserve that at all. I say they because I was not one of the people posting memes and jokes, but, I see nothing wrong with making fun of a bunch of out of place remnants of a sci fi movie.

DreamfinderGuy

So, was it ever official that the pictures are being reprinted? Because it seems like the going message here is that you people still think that they’re just moving the tiles

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom