Mirror Disneyland - An Alternate History

Twilight_Roxas

You did great on the Marvel concept. If there was a room for a third Marvel attraction theme to either the Avengers or Captain Marvel I could see it be involved with either a battle against the Kree invaders or the revenge of Thanos using the same ride engine as Spider-Man or Justice League Warworld Attacks. Great job though.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Oh, frabjous day, Tomorrowland's two alien personalities together at last! Caloo-calay!

I'm glad someone enjoyed my inclusion of Sonny Eclipse and Tony Solaroni. ;) Also, Officer Zzyxx, Sonny's cousin who was recently removed from Tokyo Disneyland, will be placed in my Alien Encounter's exit. He will, of course, explain that he is in fact a distant cousin of Sonny Eclipse to passers-by.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
The weird formatting thing happened again. I apologize.

@Basketbuddy101, if you want to work on something, I have a few ideas you could possibly flesh out? Do you think you could give a look to this version of Tomorrowland I had designed? It follows the general layout of the real-world Tomorrowland in Disneyland, but is completely done-over to resemble the Tomorrowland of the Magic Kingdom with some major hints of Discoveryland and the failed Tomorrowland of '98. Alien Encounter, Timekeeper and the Iron Man Experience in particular have detailed facades in the overview I had written. The size is a few acres larger than the real Tomorrowland, but other than that, the overview featured on Page 4 and 5 is pretty self-explanatory.

uE8fBqY2oIVhbLu5PXFHaFJNKsT0sdMUf4NrjNn6Oxi7Jirjme0lBGxglUlDqbhf7m61McGrQkLh0MhBuLZLhLCoaGToNVccxzP5hkQ7cLYEDg9TpiuxtfAqsP0gxO3x5gbKq9gA

The Disneyland Monorail was the first transportation system of its kind in America. It served as a model for future transportation, an efficient answer to the ever-increasing problem of traffic congestion in America’s urban communities and highways. In large cities, where land is at a premium, an aerial monorail system needs only a narrow beamway supported by pylons.

The current version combines the “space age” styling of the 1959 classic with new technologies and subtle design changes, bringing a retro-futuristic look and contemporary feel to the timeless Disneyland icon. Today, the Disneyland Monorail is comprised of the Red, Blue and Orange Mark VII trains. Because the system uses a 600-volt DC power source, it emits no direct exhaust or pollutants into the atmosphere.

The sleek monorail trains of Disneyland’s “highway in the sky” will carry us along a scenic route through Tomorrowland, Harbor Boulevard and WESTCOT Center. Guests with valid theme park admission can skip the Main Entrance by boarding a Monorail at the Disney Boardwalk station - and travel straight to Tomorrowland or WESTCOT’s “Venture Port.”

The original Submarine Voyage debuted on July 4, 1959 and was one of the first E-Ticket attractions. The attraction was loosely inspired by the 1958 voyage to the North Pole by the world’s first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus, which shares its name with the fictional submarine in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The attraction enjoyed a 39-year run at Disneyland Park, setting sail for the last time on September 7, 1998. Its successor uses the same lagoon and submarines, albeit significantly redesigned. In a most ingenious use of space, the massive show building of the original and current Submarine Voyage pulled double duty; grass and trees were planted on top so that the monorail pylons, Autopia cars and later, the aerial highways of the PeopleMover, could be built and expanded over time.

“This is Captain Nemo speaking. Welcome aboard the Nautilus. We are proceeding on a course that will take us on a voyage 20,000 leagues under the sea. En route, we will pass beneath the Polar Ice Cap and then probe depths seldom seen by man.”

Tomorrowland 2155 had intended for a futuristic re-theme of the original Submarine Voyage. The portholes would now look into an underwater civilization, a la Horizons’ Sea Castle, populated by ocean-dwelling humans of the 22nd Century. The proposed refurbishment would climax with a volcanic eruption and a chance encounter with a mythical “Leviathan.” However, time and budget prohibited such a renovation, and the original Subs were left intact well past the summer of ‘94.

When Walt Disney World debuted in 1971, a sister attraction to Disneyland’s Submarine Voyage opened in the Magic Kingdom’s Fantasyland, a “recast” and fantasy-centric adventure focused not on the underlying technology, but rather on the unbelievable voyage itself. The ride was remarkably similar to the original attraction in story and execution and featured a similar script, only, the Captain was Nemo, and our ship was the Nautilus that would bring us “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.” The new 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Submarine Voyage was a superior and arguably more beloved attraction than the Disneyland original in which it was based. Disney Executives at Team Disney Anaheim, fresh off their smash 1998 success of WESTCOT Center, looked to update Disneyland’s more dated and unpopular attractions, and the Submarine Voyage would be the first to receive an update.

4pkfpgEljsEGNcdHhPgn6DuzzvLLyZChu93kGVZS2QVxsw7egSzZtYpedmkXrB8A5kDD1aBRkcGAptks7joOxtfxYwUuQ_PxMAQ_YtsYkEqa8qoBchvlMOULB3zr58GdllR7gKtC

“The Suits” realized that Atlantis: The Lost Empire would be Animation’s next big success when it was released a few years later in 2001. So, foolishly, in early 1999, WED was commissioned to completely overhaul the one-time futuristic attraction of 1959 and adapt the fantastical look of the Ulysses submarine from the upcoming film, and a storyline more in touch with the imagination: a quest for the lost city of Atlantis.

2001 came and went. Atlantis: The Lost Empire failed to make a splash. The new attraction, near completion, was based on Animation’s first major bomb since The Black Cauldron. Eisner panicked. The failure of the film would certainly spell doom for the upcoming and remarkably expensive Tomorrowland attraction.

Enter Tony Baxter.

53jmYNpqKkQ5sBumokIxhcLarg039at-lO5L8Yh7s2UhLVFQSZW8UemKQWWdhr9WNAdS20iufGVknnRI2NCASMNzGAKeunHb8PVPsHIQR-TSZAlY3DAhpAeFOenh6-ud3RJ7Gvxu

Baxter argued that the near-complete Atlantis Expedition could be salvaged, but only with the use of an IP that had previously left the Florida Park in 1994 - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. A simple reconstruction of the old subs (that had yet to begin their transformation into Ulysses lookalikes), narration, soundtrack, and certain scenes in the already-constructed overhaul could blend incredibly well with the Jules Verne adventure. Better yet, if H.G. Wells, Galileo Galilei and Verne himself could all live as “residents” in Tomorrowland 2155, then why not have the fictional Captain Nemo of Verne’s story live here, too?

The old Submarine Voyage would become the current 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Atlantis Expedition. The signature piece, or at least one of them, of the updated attraction is its fleet of passenger submarines, each rebuilt and restructured from the 1959 hulls and adapted for theme park use from Harper Goff’s Nautilus design from the 1954 Disney film. The original hulls were rebuilt in the drained lagoon, often in full sight of passers-by. The new interiors are a mix of metal paneling, rivets, bolts, and other Victorian-esque fittings in the form of passenger seats that can flip outwards, and armrests beneath the portholes. Each of the eight vehicles accommodate a total of thirty-eight riders, and each rider has their own porthole. Capacity and hazardous energy problems of the original attraction were solved and reestablished. A version of the attraction for handicap visitors was also established - a video of the attraction was shown in a private room near the load dock.

In the meanwhile, a volcanic island had formed in the heart of the old sub lagoon. The Disneyland Monorail now traveled through a series of hissing lava vents and magma-laden caverns before returning to the Tomorrowland station. The Nautilus subs cautiously “dove” beneath the volcano and into its hearth via waterfall-draped caverns built in its watery foundation. The island can be counted on to erupt without warning, spewing pyrotechnic steam and fire into the skies. And deep within the interior Captain Nemo and his crew have built a hidden base, including an undersea homeport for the Nautilus and a scientific research laboratory such as the world has never known.

XwI7WK6zSdxOmC5qozX9RtRjXZh88Vyr_E0tuU2ZEaOqaXQZjxpCXR3mLf-wWf_vGFthAlDbNnFo0wBqbc1eLCh2XiFdhrpypj63nZ7e7Ci96-Xr4BwwQbTFs3lc7E6OnigFXAmZ

In 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Atlantis Expedition, we join Captain Nemo’s crew for a perilous deep-sea research mission aboard the mythical Nautilus. During the course of our voyage, we explore a tropical reef and the polar ice caps, navigate a graveyard of lost ships, survive a requisite encounter with a giant squid and a silly sea serpent, and discover benevolent humanoids in the formerly lost continent of Atlantis, who help our sub make an emergency return to the surface when all seems lost.

But, the true highlight comes in our exploration of an underwater volcano. A horrific “lava monster” attacks our Nautilus as fireballs flare up from the molten, subaquatic rock. The volcano suddenly erupts, sending the sub spiraling through a lava tube and directly into the lost continent of Atlantis.

This particular submarine voyage differs from its predecessors in one key way: what appears to be a bona fide underwater adventure in reality takes place in a “dry-for-wet” environment. In other words, the outdoor portion of the attraction is underwater. But, as soon as the subs enter the volcanic show building, an “air-lock” of sorts drains the water and leaves the vehicles moving through dry-air. The submarines’ portholes - which the Imagineers dubbed “bubble windows” - are, in fact, double-paned glass panels filled with liquid into which bubbles are blown, a design element unique to this attraction and its sister in Tokyo DisneySea. The undersea locations and sea creatures inside the show building are actually dry dimensional sets, props, animated figures, projections, and murals that only appear to be submerged.

iM5vnLKmypMt2RwSbrwXn6nN5DfHdTGfldkMHR_k4g0FA2wk9NEvNEZv2pontvU3JRRCTOdFQCfZ5aR42URQG-OONR4d5FzYn7i7qPqAuqpwOID4xbMLpx-mpAzMPEeGGOTSuWcN

The future meets the festive in this reconceived entrance and queue area for the Autopia, as depicted in the above artwork by Eric Heschong. The entire design exudes the lightness, speed, and motion associated with the attraction, and the vibrant color palette and finishes speak to the attraction’s promise of “just plain fun.”

Autopia is the only existing Tomorrowland attraction dating back to Disneyland Park’s Opening Day in 1955. When the cars first took to the road, they captured America’s fascination with the latest transportation innovation, the “freeway.” Over the years, the roadways and car styles have been updated, but the fun stays the same. Featuring a working gas pedal and steering wheel, each classy roadster seats 2 adults or 3 children and navigates curves and inclines just like the real thing.

Today, the Autopia cars are powered through means of clean energy - electricity. The current “freeway” through the rolling hills and countryside of Tomorrowland has, notably, a number of peculiar additions and sights, including topiary gardens, alien jungles and, naturally, a landed extraterrestrial spacecraft right above the track.

ECNPQDmO8PbX6ft2g2-F14njmX6H8UuXfmnHKCXK2TSbb1oRANlmx8Wyflc3757eeVnDGrOO-ZJSDVY1NIyJA0QwL39qqVx8wlIQ7OImf6BiK2Q2EjktboXFup49ym1TWhERprNX

Night has fallen on our day at Disneyland Park. Tomorrowland is perhaps the most visually striking land in the Magic Kingdom after dark. The starport is awash in hues of neon, blue, purple and green, shimmering and dancing off the metallic spires, twisted arches and jagged rock formations. Bizarre Pandora-like plant-life is aglow in biofluorescent light. In a peculiar way, the ominous yet romantic light and atmosphere of this futuristic world after nightfall recall not the optimistic future of our own imagination, but instead the imagined future of the 19th and 20th Centuries. After Tomorrowland underwent its refurbishment and became Tomorrowland 2155 in 1994, the original atmospheric music changed to reflect a mixture of modern electro-synthetic musical impressions, interwoven with recognizable themes from Disney’s many film productions and former attractions from Tomorrow’s past.

qgp2jC5MK1FLbq4x1mGyIocJGIT3d3N9FHIoM8RkfTIdFJ4HIKQScaa8UL_J4oceCTwUlyhqX8YXXaJ_F4U7D13N3STIpIAuJqcxWqpGRPhMslGG-6mibCvwAC3eTg0WX_rG_5d2

The Tomorrowland Terrace debuted as part of the 1967 New Tomorrowland. A space age bandshell ascended to reveal the entertainment and descended to transform back into a futuristic planter with fresh flowers and weird spires. Imagineer Rolly Crump designed the clever restaurant of Mid-Century Modernism and managed to design it so well, that the original stage and restaurant have never left. The old restaurant remains today, still hosting live entertainment and wonderful meals for all to enjoy.

My sources and reference points remain the same; Jason Surrell's Disney Mountains: Imagineering at its Peak, DisneyChris.com, Yesterland, The Art of Disneyland and Disneyland: The First Thirty Years.
My first day at the new job went well. I was pleased to be home early enough to finish up Tomorrowland. This really concludes the meat and potatoes of Disneyland Park. Next, before WESTCOT, I'll be diving into individual attraction ride-throughs, holiday events, nighttime entertainment, etc. This will be done at my own pace, but you can expect to see a post or two this week. ;)

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Today is a short post, admittedly. But feedback is still appreciated!

Well, I must say, having a new full time job and trying to dedicate a portion of every day to armchair Imagineering is near-impossible. :( But I'm not giving up hope yet! WESTCOT is going to take quite a bit of development and time, so for now, I'm going to do as I said and focus on holidays, entertainment, and attraction ride-throughs for Mirror Disneyland itself. Starting with, my favorite holiday:

Halloween Time at Mirror Disneyland

Happy Hauntings in Both Parks -
First Friday of September - October 31, YEARLY

Since the first "Christmas Bowl" in 1956, the holidays and their respective seasons have always been a major Disneyland celebration. But it wasn't until 2005 that Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort became a major seasonal offering.

Halloween Time at Disneyland
Park has traditionally been highlighted by Mickey's Halloween Party, special Halloween parades and firework displays, and attraction "overlays," including the Country Bear Halloween Hootenanny and Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy. The Park's autumn flavor is enhanced with bountiful Halloween and harvest dressings, including a Jack-O-Lantern-infested Main Street and all the Disney Villains in their Gothic regalia. It might hold true that in Disneyland, every day is a holiday, but when the calendar strikes that first Friday of September, the frightful fun begins...

The magic of the Halloween Season begins as we explore the ten cardinal realms of Walt Disney's Disneyland. Almost every "land" has been renamed for the Halloween Season.

Ghost Town, U.S.A.
(Main Street, U.S.A.)

Sleepy Hollow
(Liberty Street)

Forsaken Jungle
(Adventureland)

New Orleans Square

Folktale Forest

Frontierland: The Curse of Thunder Mesa

Galaxy's Edge: Fall of the Resistance

Fantasyland

Haunted Hollywoodland

Tomorrowland: INVASION

Alas, there is not much description for these titles now, is there? It seems you'll have to wait for more information to come in the following weeks... I'm sure you're just dying to learn more... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

More to come...

DisneyManOne

I could see a lot of IP mazes in the theme lands.
Not everything needs IPs, my friend. I can personally see some original backstories being used for these mazes; maybe a voodoo god-based maze for Adventureland or New Orleans? And Frontierland certainly has enough for a ghost-based story, or something about a supernatural animal haunting the West (maybe you could use my Thunderbird concept from my Western River Expedition).

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Not everything needs IPs, my friend. I can personally see some original backstories being used for these mazes; maybe a voodoo god-based maze for Adventureland or New Orleans? And Frontierland certainly has enough for a ghost-based story, or something about a supernatural animal haunting the West (maybe you could use my Thunderbird concept from my Western River Expedition).

Bingo, not everything would necessarily rely on an IP. Even so, I don't plan on including a maze in every land. For instance, Ghost Town, U.S.A. would mostly be a decorated and projection-heavy version of Main Street with different music and streetmosphere ghosts from the turn-of-the-century era. Fantasyland would be a trick-or-treat "neighborhood" with lots of cutesy decorations and characters. Adventureland on the other hand would be a total nightmare with fog, voodoo, mummies and more. I haven't fully fleshed everything out yet, but I can say that, for now, only three mazes would rely on an IP - one themed to Disney Villains, one themed to Star Wars, and one themed to Young Frankenstein. The other three mazes are originals - one themed to a forsaken jungle, one themed to an alien invasion, and one themed to Thunder Mesa and Big Thunder Mountain.

Actually, I had used the Thunderbird in my very first Dream Resort back in 2010! It lived in a cave underneath Big Thunder Mountain and would be visited by guests as they exited the attraction.

Twilight_Roxas

Missed opportunity to bring in the Alien vs Predator Maze along with a Marvel villains maze. Oh well can’t wait to see the nighttime events.

Last edited:

JokersWild

Actually, I had used the Thunderbird in my very first Dream Resort back in 2010! It lived in a cave underneath Big Thunder Mountain and would be visited by guests as they exited the attraction.
Wasn’t there a Thunderbird attraction of some sort as well? I vaguely remember writing a queue that wound through the caves of Big Thunder Mountain leading to a secondary attraction.

Everything looks fantastic, by the way.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
The Haunted Mansion

6Rt0AKcz9px4fyFzHu0rrEJfvdzKuSoM7yzhophQR0YEieVSzqBCRHD-7DQo5CYvlu_46ktlCbH5fSAqaWdLmjippP4eZYjVZMYWWVKS_4NBd7knWGhdJlQbdVs9QdUN5lx-W0zU

Have you ever seen a haunted house? You know the kind I mean…

That old dark house that’s usually at the end of a dimly lit street. The owners haven’t been seen for years; no one really knows why. The windows are dark and silent, yet an ornate candelabra floats past in the shadow. The gardens and grounds are well-kempt and groomed, though a single window appears cracked and disheveled. There’s a high vine-covered fence around the property. Is it there to keep somebody out, or is it there to keep something inside? It’s a house that people avoid walking past at night. Strange sounds come from within the walls, and it’s said that eerie lights have been seen both in the attic windows and in the graveyard at the side of the house… Our story revolves around this mysterious Mansion…

With Jason Surrell’s The Haunted Mansion: Imagineering a Disney Classic and Chef Mayhem’s fantastic DoomBuggies.com as a reference, join me now for a tour through the boundless realm of the supernatural; a glimpse into my all-time favorite Disney Attraction: The Haunted Mansion. Now, as they say, “look alive,” and we’ll continue our little tour…

The old antebellum plantation has been left as spectacular as it were before the untimely death of its mysterious owners, the once flourishing and wealthy “Gracey Family.” Devoted groundskeepers abide by a distant relative’s wish to “Take care of the outside, and let the ghosts take care of the inside.” The walls of this mansion hold within them a treasure trove of acquired antiquities, rare artifacts, priceless paintings, and other time-honored and cherished works of art, most commonly of a macabre descent or design.

ZR9Z1hoetgGiQoGDrGu1SAf-HKX5CFGMPkJTu5srVTte5PCcLotYfnv6LkBQyJ0mHDrGQL82bz3-gaNjxXRQ8gkwyTMz0M5yk2cIeWQ69x2ppu8FWe1FLQmATB283g1OsLrNGLPs

Our adventure begins in New Orleans Square, a picturesque relic of the Delta City as it appeared well over a century ago. Before us: twin brick columns kept beneath the watchful (red) eye of snarling, stone gargoyles. On either column: a bronze shield in which “The Haunted Mansion” is inscribed. Atop either shield, the horned head of a phantom appears frozen in a scream amidst its writhing hair and gnarled ribbon, all carved of bronze. The ethereal chime of an antique music box calls for us to travel ‘cross the threshold and into the lonesome yet meticulously landscaped estate of this old “house on the hill.”

Walt Disney had begun concept work on a “ghost house” in the late 1950s and early 1960s when he turned loose Imagineering’s master special-effects wizard, Yale Gracey, to “play.” Yale and Rolly Crump, especially, were free to experiment, to try out their wildest haunting ideas… Pulled this way and that over the decade, the WED staff was forced to let the stately (and unhaunted) Mansion sit vacant along the banks of the Rivers of America in Frontierland for six years. The rest, as they say, is Disneyland history.

The Haunted Mansion became the first major attraction designed by the Imagineers after Walt Disney’s passing in 1966. Today it is a classic attraction in almost every Magic Kingdom park around the world. Millions of guests have been thrilled and chilled by Walt’s foreboding concept of a retirement home for 999 happy haunts. Yet, as our Ghost Host will soon remind us, “there’s room for a thousand… Any volunteers? Hmm...?

The Grounds & A History

ZwT2iEGukZR3B4nRiecbV7ljyXUr4LQKa6ExNgk-Jci5qtLH0s0jrbFJTjp9NyP8mDYJVwkMzFN7CJNvrbkjndmHYUqsbViNQKOTu2aJPejxcUWu_Jy7pn_lSoAvCvBIrstHgFIZ

A handbill passed out at Disneyland’s Main Entrance announced New Orleans Square and the Haunted Mansion would open two years later in 1963. According to the handbill, “Gathering the world’s greatest collection of ghosts is no easy task. Most people are kind of reluctant to admit they know any! But Walt Disney has had his talent scouts searching for several years...and in 1963 the Haunted Mansion will be filled with famous and infamous residents.” Construction on New Orleans Square began in 1961, with the Haunted Mansion laying its foundations one year later. Despite the best efforts of WED, the year 1963 materialized right on schedule but the Mansion remained unopened. The exterior was completed, but it was just the shell of a building with nothing inside. As built, the Mansion was, and remains, a stately Southern plantation house that bore a striking resemblance to the one in Imagineer Ken Anderson’s original sketch, but without its ramshackle appearance.

Walter Elias Disney died of lung cancer on December 15, 1966. Walt’s death and the loss of his “final say” had a serious effect on the Haunted Mansion, and its new chief designers, Marc Davis and Claude Coats battled their way into one of the greatest debates to ever take place at WED: should the Mansion be scary or funny? The creative tension resulted in two distinct experiences within the attraction. The first half of the show is all about the environment, ominous and scary, with nary a character in sight - a testament to Claude’s experience as a background artist. The second half of the show, in particular the Grand Hall and the Graveyard, is less reliant on strong set design and filled to overflowing with Marc Davis’s whimsical characters and sight gags.

a_GhS7iWF3S-fb9Rpe2xBSS0Pqf2WZYj-qgn1dYgXOdXlXPrHC-xJorcTMcIpBVwM7h41X5JjB1GYhvt-6sMr6OyFlb4h270c3WUob3kMhkQQOYfs2oks82wjPytVCZuESzcoSIP

The Imagineers began looking for means to make the Haunted Mansion a ride-through experience, rather than the previously advertised walk-through, following the success of the people-eating Pirates of the Caribbean in 1967. Yale Gracey worked on plans for a boat ride through an old plantation house partially submerged in a bayou. But by 1967, the perfect ride system was available: Adventure Thru Inner Space had introduced a unique ride system called the Omnimover.

The Omnimover consists of a train of swiveling, clamshell-shaped pods that can spin, turn, and tilt to point the guests in any direction, narrowly focusing their attention just as film directors do with their cameras. Guests would see exactly what the Imagineers wanted them to see, exactly when they wanted them to see it. The new system would also allow Imagineers to send an endless stream of guests through the attraction at a constant rate, meeting Disneyland’s capacity requirements and then some. WED copied Adventure Thru Inner Space’s clamshell pods, painted them black, and dubbed them “Doom Buggies.” As many as 2,616 mortals each hour can ride in three-passenger Doom Buggies through the Mansion’s labyrinth of cobweb-screened halls, stone-cold chambers, and pitch-black corridors. X. Atencio, meanwhile, polished a show script that united stretching portrait chambers, endless corridors, a disembodied spirit in a crystal ball, a jilted bride pining for her long-lost groom even in death, and a graveyard jamboree. Blaine Gibson and Wathel Rogers brought the happy haunts to life through the symbiotic arts of sculpture and Audio-Animatronics.

After eighteen years of on-again, off-again development and six years of anticipation created by the empty house on the hill, the Haunted Mansion’s doors finally creaked open on August 9, 1969. The attraction was an instant hit and has remained a Disneyland favorite for almost fifty years, a masterpiece of Imagineering that has been adapted successfully in four other Magic Kingdom Parks around the world.

5IfJGWYb7hrVm0P262U_DsnNG5NRZRuk1812dYlbtM2rI44vpRqnTO4VYrV37yzGlTWwjlvW8SchZEGrdlU9BoJ9NBKMJl-AfSPH8B6C1NVoNL8n_eTrxgkHzOvjB2v-NnhcCp7U

Despite warning signs, the Mansion’s relatively benign appearance had led many parents to believe the attraction would be appropriate for all ages, only to learn the experience was too intense for small children. Imagineers made a key addition to the exterior grounds in 1989, the Mansion’s 20th Anniversary, two large, faux stone lion-like creatures with red eyes that sit atop the columns of the Mansion’s front gate. The appearance of these decidedly fantastical “gargoyles” further helped the Mansion by dropping a sinister hint as to what guests could expect before they entered the queue.

In the early 1990s, Imagineer Bob Baranick convinced Disneyland to purchase a hearse from a local antiques dealer for use in a proposed Young Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular. When plans for the show were cancelled, Bob proposed placing the hearse outside the Haunted Mansion, but Tony Baxter, Disneyland’s creative lead at the time, countered that a hearse sitting by itself didn’t make enough story sense. Inspired by the wildly popular “invisible dogs on a leash” that were sold at the park, Tony proposed hitching the hearse to a phantom horse. This appropriate photo op made its debut in September 1995 and proved to be such a hit that a similar enhancement was added to Walt Disney World.

A peculiar chill runs down our spine as we draw near the entrance of the eerie estate. The dramatic columns hearken to a distant, but romantic memory - at some moment, a beautiful girl might come sprinting out onto the patio and between the columns, anxiously awaiting the arms of her handsome lover. But no one comes... In fact, only the wind passes through the columns... The ethereal chime of the music box continues from a presumably unattended music box on the second floor balcony. A lone rocking chair gently tilts on its own near an adjacent table. The music box comes to a grinding halt. Someone, invisible, stands up from the chair and loudly steps toward the musical antique. The key cranks, seemingly on its own, and begins to play once more, with our invisible friend returning to the rocking chair and continuing to listen, even humming along every few measures.

Hanging plants and ornate furniture of the 19th Century adorn the remainder of the second floor balcony. A telescope looks out onto the waters on the Rivers of America. The weather vane atop the cupola is a sailing ship in reference toward an early show concept for Captain Bartholomew Gore, a ghostly sea captain who murdered his bride, Priscilla. Carefully groomed plants and vegetation maintain a proper, well-tended appearance, though still offering a hint of sorrow. As the Mansion was set in a pre-existing grove of Southern Magnolia trees, a few still remain around the facade. A neatly manicured lawn sets in front of the Mansion, though it is adorned with strategically placed sections of Mondo Grass, offering a loose, overgrown effect around planters and decor. Medusa’s Head, Weeping Mulberry, Pumpkin Leaves, and Weeping Juniper exemplify a “weeping” appearance, as if the gardens and grounds themselves were in mourning. Calla Lily, Lambs Ear and English Holly are other familiar varieties used in this intricate display of vegetation.

YHiyyjrJ0Lt6OxrCqzEa7eOqCRiVA6Uhr1vLnNaL8LTBYRtnB__svn_ifUx729JqTW25lxoJe_PtEOa55_l1Kut11FLmlfK7YtMHtXxV8HOXXcSmF0PPvztNGTjPKa5A2EOedJsA

What many Mansion patrons thought was an urban legend is actually true - there was, indeed, a pet cemetery hidden in an enclosed garden at the side of the house. The original was located on the right side, near what is now Splash Mountain. It was created in the early ‘80s by Kim Irvine - the daughter of Madame Leota herself, Leota Toombs - who bought pieces of statuary from local nurseries and turned to show writer Chris Goosman to compose some humorous epitaphs for the deceased animals. This hidden gem proved to be such a hit that it was reproduced, relocated and expanded to the main queue, creating a permanent pet cemetery in 1993. Pet cemeteries have since been added to all other incarnations of the Haunted Mansion.

The Disneyland Pet Cemetery holds the following remembrances…

FREDDIE THE BAT
WE’LL MISS YOU

OL’ FLYBAIT
HE CROAKED
AUGUST 9, 1969

ROSIE
SHE WAS A POOR LITTLE PIG
BUT SHE BOUGHT THE FARM

BUDDY
OUR FRIEND
UNTIL THE END

(A Skunk)
BELOVED LILAC
LONG ON CURIOSITY…
SHORT ON COMMON SCENTS

(A Poodle)
FIFI

(A Cat & Several Birds)

(A Goldfish)

(A Cymbal-Crashing Monkey)

IN MEMORY OF MY RAT
WHOM I LOVED
NOW HE RESIDES IN
THE REALMS UP ABOVE

HERE LIES
LONG LEGGED JEB
GOT TANGLED UP IN
HIS VERY OWN WEB

HERE LIES MY SNAKE
WHOSE FATAL MISTAKE
WAS FRIGHTENING
THE GARDENER
WHO CARRIED A RAKE

OUR DUCK
“SKIMMER”
SHOULDN’T HAVE VISITED
THE NEIGHBORS
AT DINNER

BELOVED RAVEN LENORE,
WITH US “NEVERMORE.”

JANUARY 29, 1845

Y7ydcjZS17yI9xdFyZnHu0tqV-wFYxANyl1pkwE_rTkrSvLjxs4Wbrz1YRTpMJfXqdIU1fw1Bu2trqM0FfiZT-R_Pnklvz7Bjij4Mmz9_GsY2km9Jc1X3TDw7Dpez6WdsxFGfLTg

“Remember You Must Die”

The Grounds & Gardens wander through a sizable graveyard at the side of the house. Originally, a small collection of tombstones made up a “family plot,” X. Atencio’s macabre salute to the Imagineers who built the Mansion. The frightfully funny epitaphs and headstones were enlarged in number and the queue was expanded over time, with several new headstones added in 1993, 2002, 2005, and 2011 respectively. The ethereal wind of this ancient boneyard is oft-too broken by the deranged, almost disturbed refrain of an unseen organist.

There isn’t a soul in sight - only the buried inhabitants of this bizarre, supernatural playground. The crypts, tombs and monuments sharply contrast with the pristine, otherwise “normal” facade of the adjacent “Gracey Manor.” This sprawling plot of Père Lachaise* is a complete and total dreamscape; a true nightmare come to life.

*The largest cemetery in Paris, France. The famous “residents” include Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison. Much of Memento Mori’s aesthetic and design is a direct lift of the French cemetery.

sFNxxMjAJSj2YN5marNAEAQlFYVDt4tcG0f-5lcXWzaDxV3DonsCCmkrgfERR9rGRlJlwVYzekDDQb7WAmSNzcQmN-rZtcDf2xXKwtl1XUl4mRz4Hjy-pOB-ElHL6BwhSVujSEfk

First we encounter the dysfunctional and sinister Dread Family: big-game hunter Bertie, honorable Aunt Florence, greedy Uncle Jacob, conniving Cousin Maude, and the spookiest twins since The Shining, Wellington and Forsythia. Each killed off one of the others in a plot to inherit the family fortune, and each monument - a bust in their comic likeness - features an epitaph and a cryptogram that offer a clue as to who killed whom.

BERTIE
Avid hunter and expert shot,
In the end that’s what he got.

(Shot by Aunt Florence)

AUNT FLORENCE
Never did a dishonorable
Deed, yet found face down
In canary seed.

(Killed by the Twins)

UNCLE JACOB
Greed was the poison he
Had swallowed. He went
First; the others followed.
His killer’s face he surely
Knew; now try to discover
Who killed who.

(Poisoned by Bertie)

THE TWINS
FORSYTHIA & WELLINGTON
Departed life while in their
Beds, with identical bumps
On identical heads.

(Killed by Cousin Maude)

COUSIN MAUDE
Our sleeping beauty,
Who never awoke, the night her
Dreams went up in smoke.

(Killed by Uncle Jacob)

The stone visage of the Grim Reaper himself looks to the entrance of the family plot. A vast collection of stone coffins and large tombstones mark the manicured gardens and smooth pavement. Each morning, a fresh rose is placed on the tombstone of “Master Gracey.” A stone angel weeps at the plot of “Priscilla Gore,” taken from this life far too soon…

MASTER GRACEY
LAID TO REST
NO MOURNING
PLEASE
AT HIS REQUEST
FAREWELL!

PRISCILLA GORE
“AS LONG AS WE
BOTH SHALL LIVE”
1809 - 1835

JASPER JONES
Loyal Manservant, Died 1883
“Kept the Master Happy”

ANNA JONES
Faithful Chambermaid, Died 1884
“Kept the Master Happier”

dwlppIDYqCpdEieQZRvKI30EULd05JWOPS3ojHvmcshVkvnr4G63Xi55f7-ZTGfIUwNckPZETQFPNhJTdBmMH6MQJBfz_1LeEaPH7LMjXOio-9nWdXzmJ_C6L5KvWlhFC50TKsTo

Mary Murphy, 1901 - 1929, “Til Death…

Frank Ballard, 1888 - 1929, ...Do Us Part.”

Ma Ballard, 1850 - 1929, “Over My Dead Body”

IN MEMORY OF
OUR PATRIARCH
DEAR DEPARTED
Grandpa Marc

At Peaceful Rest Lies
BROTHER CLAUDE
PLANTED HERE
BENEATH THIS SOD

DEAR DEPARTED
BROTHER DAVE
HE CHASED A BEAR
INTO A CAVE

HERE RESTS
WATHEL R. BENDER
HE RODE TO GLORY
ON A FENDER
Peaceful Rest

REQUIESCA
Francis Xavier
NO TIME OFF
FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR
RIP

FIRST LADY OF THE OPERA
OUR HAUNTING
Harriet
SEARCHED FOR A TUNE
BUT NEVER COULD CARRY IT

DRINK A TOAST TO
OUR FRIEND
Ken
FILL YOUR GLASS
AND DON’T SAY “WHEN”

A TRAIN
MADE A STAIN
OF ABSENT-MINDED
UNCLE BLAINE
REST IN PIECES

FAREWELL FOREVER,
Mister Frees
YOUR VOICE WILL CARRY
ON THE BREEZE
Hanged October 1, 1871

LORD ANTONIO BAXTER
Died April 12, 1892
A GLORIOUS MUSTACHE
HEAVEN BLESSED
NOW DEAD & ROTTEN,
STILL WELL DRESSED

HERBERT & MARY WEDD
Died 1864
QUARRELED AND FOUGHT
AS MAN AND WIFE
NOW SILENT TOGETHER
BEYOND THIS LIFE

VALENTINE
“The Boneless”
HERE LIE THE PIECES
OF A BROKEN MAN

December 2, 1893
“I Told You I Was Sick”

BROTHER CRUMP
Hanged October 13, 1897
Shot December 10, 1898
Stabbed June 28, 1899
Poisoned March 6, 1900
He’ll Be Back

JACQUES “BAKER” SHRILLMAN
LYNCHED BY A MOB
OF MUSIC LOVERS
“A Wrong Note Was His End”

Here Lies
LEADFOOT FRED
“Danced Too Slow

And Now He’s Dead”

And on one end of the cemetery, at the confines of a dense swampland, we find the makeshift, wooden grave markers of a circus tiger and his three victims:

November 13, 1895 - Breakfast Time
(A Sad Clown)

November 13, 1895 - Lunch Time

(The Frightened Ringmaster)

November 13, 1895 - Dinner Time

(A Clumsy Elephant)

November 13, 1915 - Striped with Happiness
After Years of Happy Hunting

(The Grinning Tiger)

_h_7iYjbWLugxHZ8NQIkbjZo8NbFsHw8XX6pMuxTb9rbhGnsKZvElFK1VZXHr_ADmDyo2vzFrsqfhGvYV5IHFwdjXRwktjR0GksrcR3Kcu5UoZQ_0El1QLpHD2fMwdgkkz0Quyf3

One headstone, which bears the sculpted face of a beautiful young woman, reads:

DEAR SWEET LEOTA, BELOVED BY ALL,
IN REGIONS BEYOND NOW, BUT HAVING A BALL

Not entirely at peace, the sculpture frequently opens her eyes, watching passers-by as they proceed through the cemetery, and then closes her eyes, returning once more to her eternal sleep. This subtle but spooky detail sets an appropriately ominous tone for our visit inside Gracey Manor…

The actual Haunted Mansion is, of course, separate from the Mansion itself. The actual building visible from New Orleans Square only contains the two load elevators, Foyer, and surrounding maintenance docks. The rest of the attraction is held in a large, well-hidden warehouse, or "Show Building," painted a dull green to blend with the adjacent vegetation. The gargantuan show building dwarfs the relatively small entry facade and queue.

More to come! I had a day off today LOL.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Last post for a few days!

So, this being an alternate reality, bear in mind that this Haunted Mansion was designed with a lot more room than what actually exists in Disneyland today. That being said, there are a few more scenes and ideas present that are not featured in the real-world alternative. At several points I even detail refurbishments that never happened. Feedback, as always, is appreciated!

Again, Jason Surrell's The Haunted Mansion: Imagineering a Disney Classic and Chef Mayhem's DoomBuggies.com are the biggest source of reference for this ride-through experience.

The Foyer

“When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls… Whenever candle lights flicker… Where the air is deathly still… That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.”

mKGcZrHZ2wevkSPlIq1GXn49dc98dRN-83a9Y661hLEVprK47vBFESQsT1uWYBl7-1D-MZ76SfBuyXTCV_unuwLlDT6XrW32N5Z3iXNhnZ8aUANdptfHhjgNcNckVlQ2C2SadS8d

The Ghost Host, the unseen presence that will escort our tour of the Mansion, begins his ominous narration in the musky Foyer, underscored by “Grim Grinning Ghosts” arranged as a melancholy funeral dirge. The Ghost Host is voiced by Disney regular Paul Frees. Frees has become such a beloved part of the experience that many patrons deliver the dialogue right along with him. Imagineers originally planned for the Ghost Host’s narration to be delivered “live” by a marble bust that suddenly came to life. This, however, was eliminated when they found that guests were preoccupied talking among themselves and either too excited or nervous about what they were going to see to really pay attention.

Instead, our attention is drawn to a formal portrait of the master of the house hanging on the wall above the fireplace. An antique chandelier flickers little light into the dark chamber. As the Ghost Host delivers his infamous narration, the image in the portrait transforms, Dorian Gray-style, from that of a handsome young man to that of a rotting corpse. The room’s lighting is dramatically sapped of “life” at the conclusion of his transformation - even the wallpaper loses its color. It is a chilling premonition of the Ghost Host’s fate, which we are about to witness firsthand in the coming Portrait Chamber… Contrary to popular belief, the Ghost Host is not the master of the house - Gracey or otherwise - but merely one of the 999 happy haunts.

At the conclusion of his opening monologue, a panel in the Foyer wall slides open to reveal one of two identical Portrait Chambers.

The Portrait Chamber
(The Stretching Room)

6lIIQfPImHVsOhMdArAGvTnoMpRn11ImeelZCnngcldAZ5axysywyME21ik3gfGu3eONPoVf3EADt9cKW1reBveS5vVvA5AjE6xXSoiTIkP0pH5dr7m1pSaVEIn9itw8_NsxhS-J

In the Portrait Chamber, we see four large paintings of former guests of the Mansion, or at least as they appeared in their “corruptible, mortal state,” which are all Marc Davis originals. Grinning gargoyles wait above each wall panel, holding onto flickering candles, designed to seem as if they are staring at each occupant in this claustrophobic gallery. The portraits are cast in a deep purple and faintly yellow light upon the vertically striped wallpaper. Our Ghost Host continues…

“Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion. I am your Host, your Ghost Host. Our tour begins here… Where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible, mortal state. Kindly step all the way in please, and make room for everyone. There’s no turning back now…”
A macabre servant of Gracey Manor bids one final world of friendly warning… “Kindly drag your bodies away from the walls and into the dead center of the room…

Suddenly, the panel slides shut, sealing us inside the octagonal space. The lighting shifts. Without warning, the entire room begins to “stretch,” and the portraits elongate to reveal the comically grim fate of their subjects. A dramatic musical underscore, added in 1993, plays beneath the famous dialogue:

“Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination - hmm? And consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows, and no doors… (Chuckles) Which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a way out! (Laughs) Of course, there’s always my way…”

Lightning flashes to reveal a corpse, our Ghost Host, dangling from a hangman’s noose in the cupola high above. The lights wink out, and a shrill scream fills the air.

At the scene’s conclusion, a panel in the wall of each of the two Portrait Chambers slides open to reveal one long, dimly lit corridor.

smDSYyPwuIHcJhWtz6L6bKwbrGA0rG5KaRo7SxQnL0VZEl8BfLSpS30ObzRjjbFjnciCQp2fIvw1bM-kzE9zbr7UPZIaPZFlgGl-wsrJ936CY3yPyzrsGpeQ5Kt7IL57SCeNXeeo

The scene is a nod to Ken Anderson’s Captain Gore story, in which the captain hanged himself in the attic after murdering his young bride. The room that stretches was a creative solution to an operational problem. In order to meet the park’s capacity requirements, the attraction was housed in an enormous show building outside Disneyland’s berm. Imagineers needed to move guests belowground to the show building “outside” the park. So, in the Stretching Room, the ceiling remains in place while the floor lowers, taking guests fifteen feet underground to a corridor that transports them under the railroad tracks and into the show building itself. The four “stretching” portraits unfurl to reach their full dimensions, extending from three to eight feet, as the elevator makes its descent. The four portraits, all in which were conceptualized by Marc Davis, “stretch” to reveal a beautiful woman with a parasol on a frayed tightrope above the jaws of an alligator; a middle-aged man holding a document standing on a lit barrel of dynamite in boxer shorts; a smiling elderly woman holding a rose sitting on the tombstone of her (murdered) husband; a confident man in a bowler hat sitting on the shoulders of two frightened men waist-deep in quicksand.

The ceiling is a theatrical scrim, a piece of fabric that is opaque when lit from the front (and painted to look like the chamber’s ceiling) and translucent when lit from behind, in this case by “lightning,” revealing the long-since decayed corpse of the Ghost Host hanging from the previously unseen rafters.

0ShD0UyVN6XldD4sgsHA6bFemQfLpTIqHi_msuLXkywemJv8cR2N4rBrIE0nqT5Bel7V_VNm77arjMHJywkP2Nto3QxcZkhDkX2pnL-f1YTR8bgP0B7GtpMnaXY4cmMKBbUP0QO2

Imagineers, in 2011, implemented a state-of-the-art three-dimensional audio system for the Portrait Chamber to create the illusion that the Ghost Host is gliding around the room as he delivers his infamous narration. When the room begins to stretch, a low rumbling emanates from the floor, and the walls begin to moan and groan as guests actually hear and feel the chamber elongating around them.

John Debney’s sweeping instrumental for the "Secret Room" of Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris was retained as an underscore for the classic Stretching Room, first introduced to the Mansion in a 1993 refurbishment, complete with Katherine Meyering’s haunting vocal track. Once the Ghost Host’s fate is revealed and the lights go out, we hear the disquieting fluttering of bats’ wings accompanying the familiar descending scream - as though the supernatural commotion has disturbed their peaceful slumber. If one listens closely as they file out of the Portrait Chamber, they might hear the playful, childlike whispers of the gargoyles urging them to “stay together” and, ultimately, “get out!”

“Oh, I didn’t mean to frighten you prematurely. The real chills come later. Now, as they say, ‘look alive,’ and we’ll continue our little tour. And let’s all stay together, please.”

The Portrait Corridor & Grand Staircase

VRbSjdSKRukknyILLd6ijLa3Jdbr9UyPb0l-e0WPOiwCeTy1TCJvJr3V2a_g43pBD08bAyp22_AtAzHj0eJdGXFZk4jZ71mQXr4JqKHpVGXspQ8IyyRKLg4ZwifkWyZ8w5tPlWUa

“There are several prominent ghosts who have retired here from creepy old crypts all over the world. Actually, we have 999 happy haunts here - but there’s room for a thousand. Any volunteers? (Laughs) If you insist on lagging behind, you may not need to volunteer.

And now, a carriage approaches to take you into the boundless realm of the supernatural. Take your loved ones by the hand, please, and kindly watch your step. Oh yes, and no flash pictures, please. We spirits are frightfully sensitive to bright lights.”

The Portrait Chamber exits into a long, dimly lit hallway filled with portraits of “prominent” denizens of the Haunted Mansion… The left side of the corridor is lined with windows that overlook a moonlit landscape in a rainstorm, intermittently illuminated by violent flashes of lightning. Portraits hang on the wall to the right, the subject of each transforming into a nightmarish image with each flash of lightning - the beautiful Medusa turns into a hideous Gorgon; a proud galleon devolves into a ghost ship; a gallant knight and his steed both become skeletons; a vampire, Count Dracula, transforms into a grinning bat-creature; and a beautiful young woman reclining on a couch is transformed into a white tiger. Dusty mirrors, framed certificates, macabre silhouettes and even tribal masks with horrific expressions fill the gaps between the portraits. At the far end of the hallway, an ominous-looking taxidermy mount of a grizzly bear stands against the wall. Is this haunted bear actually growling, or is it your imagination? Hmm?

Most, if not all, of the portraits are based on Marc Davis concepts - another showcase for his decidedly lighter approach to the Haunted Mansion’s macabre material. In a January 2005 enhancement to the Disneyland attraction, the Imagineers updated the transforming portraits with new technology that enabled them to realize the original design team’s creative vision of images that would change in perfect time with the lightning flashes “outside.”

From 1969 - 1992, guests would proceed into a “limbo of boundless mist and decay,” at least according to The Story and Song from The Haunted Mansion, a record album released in 1969. This strange, cloud-shrouded room was the Doom Buggy Load Area and featured little more but seldom screams, lighting fixtures and rubber spiders caught in giant webs. Guests stepped onto a moving walkway and climbed into their Doom Buggy, where the Ghost Host was waiting to escort them on their tour of these happy haunting grounds.

This, however, changed in 1993 following the success of Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris.

kSA1QQ6XGnAmkOetLy0O31cnL3ehhCofyMgozp2rQxJnMFWAOX17Ew7o7WODLVy_awELbdGGlbe5qAPfWigaTFKzxFRj3qHBvdgKLqBmajgQvEbQefBJKy_xEHGDdxgL9fITV7U6

In mid 1992, Imagineers began looking for ways to "plus" existing Disneyland attractions with some of the more contemporary ideas and technological advancements featured in the recently opened Disneyland Paris. Phantom Manor, "Euro Disneyland's" darker and more "adult" version of the Haunted Mansion, had introduced a cinematic score by John Debney, as well as a number of improvements and additions that considerably perfected the classic Mansion. A 1993 refurbishment would boldly swap the Mansion's original score by Buddy Baker for Debney's sweeping and sorrowful soundtrack. The Mansion's existing "Bride" character was altered and her backstory was expanded, and a new scene, the "Grand Staircase" was introduced. The unique refurbishment was nicknamed "The Phantom Mansion."

The Grand Staircase effectively replaced said "boundless mist and decay." An enormous picture window at the top of the staircase looks onto a sinister, moonlit landscape illuminated by flashes of lightning. As the lightning flashes, the scene is drained of all color, becoming a melancholy, monochromatic grey landscape. The brilliant scene has remained since the '93 enhancements, unlike the Debney score. Buddy Baker's original soundtrack returned to the Mansion in 1999 for the attraction's 30th Anniversary. Debney's score, of course, remains in the Portrait Chamber to this day.

A supernatural wind blows to the tune of “Grim Grinning Ghosts.” The sculpted bats that top the stanchions throughout the Portrait Corridor and Grand Staircase are original designs, another testament to the Imagineers' attention to detail. There are three styles of bat - two-winged, right-winged, and left-winged - to accommodate the various turns and switchbacks.

We board a Doom Buggy of our own at the foot of the Grand Staircase. The ethereal outline of a phantom hearse and its ethereal driver ride alongside our carriage in the picture window.

“Do not pull down on the safety bar, please. I will lower it for you. And heed this warning: The spirits will materialize only if you remain safely seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside. And watch your children, please.”
A pair of carved griffins bid our farewell, or our "bone voyage," as we ascend a staircase to the second floor, and into the...

Hall of Infamy

3piCrmArKDJjwkDpSl8Z59RT5VQWkYhP48ABTshVk5yRzpdxmvFHPvYTZZEWqW0-NfMd7IYikYQMn5PGZCPEwGs0V0Xb8a9RyGrJFbexYLuogLenfBsophjmmg_a6BXpYAdAINHH

The wind howls well into a dark corridor on the second floor before us, a rather sinister collection of macabre portraits and cobwebs galore. The portraits, however, the "Sinister 11," steal the show with their eerie, glowing eyes that follow our every move. The axe-wielding Ghost Host cut free of his noose; Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, the latter holding her removed head; the chained Ghost of Jacob Marley; the haggardly, once beautiful "December" in a formal pose; Ivan the Terrible; the phantom of a Mariner lost at sea; Guy Fawkes with his favorite keg of gunpowder; a stern and middle-aged couple; a four-armed Frankenstein's Monster; Jack the Ripper; the solemn Witch of Walpurgis and her trusted cat.

The Sinister 11 are based on unused designs by Marc Davis for changing or "talking" portraits. Marley is an exception, an artistic variation on the "Burning Miser" by Marc Davis. The four-armed Frankenstein's Monster comes from an early story treatment by Ken Anderson, though the humorous design ultimately came from Marc as well. The eyes are cut out of the original portraits and the "half-eyeballs" are set behind the portrait and backlit, giving the impression that they are following the viewer. The subjects allude to the one-time idea of having the Haunted Mansion house fictional and historical villains alike, a concept heavily realized here.

More to come!

DisneyManOne

Last post for a few days!

So, this being an alternate reality, bear in mind that this Haunted Mansion was designed with a lot more room than what actually exists in Disneyland today. That being said, there are a few more scenes and ideas present that are not featured in the real-world alternative. At several points I even detail refurbishments that never happened. Feedback, as always, is appreciated!

Again, Jason Surrell's The Haunted Mansion: Imagineering a Disney Classic and Chef Mayhem's DoomBuggies.com are the biggest source of reference for this ride-through experience.

The Foyer

“When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls… Whenever candle lights flicker… Where the air is deathly still… That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.”

mKGcZrHZ2wevkSPlIq1GXn49dc98dRN-83a9Y661hLEVprK47vBFESQsT1uWYBl7-1D-MZ76SfBuyXTCV_unuwLlDT6XrW32N5Z3iXNhnZ8aUANdptfHhjgNcNckVlQ2C2SadS8d

The Ghost Host, the unseen presence that will escort our tour of the Mansion, begins his ominous narration in the musky Foyer, underscored by “Grim Grinning Ghosts” arranged as a melancholy funeral dirge. The Ghost Host is voiced by Disney regular Paul Frees. Frees has become such a beloved part of the experience that many patrons deliver the dialogue right along with him. Imagineers originally planned for the Ghost Host’s narration to be delivered “live” by a marble bust that suddenly came to life. This, however, was eliminated when they found that guests were preoccupied talking among themselves and either too excited or nervous about what they were going to see to really pay attention.

Instead, our attention is drawn to a formal portrait of the master of the house hanging on the wall above the fireplace. An antique chandelier flickers little light into the dark chamber. As the Ghost Host delivers his infamous narration, the image in the portrait transforms, Dorian Gray-style, from that of a handsome young man to that of a rotting corpse. The room’s lighting is dramatically sapped of “life” at the conclusion of his transformation - even the wallpaper loses its color. It is a chilling premonition of the Ghost Host’s fate, which we are about to witness firsthand in the coming Portrait Chamber… Contrary to popular belief, the Ghost Host is not the master of the house - Gracey or otherwise - but merely one of the 999 happy haunts.

At the conclusion of his opening monologue, a panel in the Foyer wall slides open to reveal one of two identical Portrait Chambers.

The Portrait Chamber
(The Stretching Room)

6lIIQfPImHVsOhMdArAGvTnoMpRn11ImeelZCnngcldAZ5axysywyME21ik3gfGu3eONPoVf3EADt9cKW1reBveS5vVvA5AjE6xXSoiTIkP0pH5dr7m1pSaVEIn9itw8_NsxhS-J

In the Portrait Chamber, we see four large paintings of former guests of the Mansion, or at least as they appeared in their “corruptible, mortal state,” which are all Marc Davis originals. Grinning gargoyles wait above each wall panel, holding onto flickering candles, designed to seem as if they are staring at each occupant in this claustrophobic gallery. The portraits are cast in a deep purple and faintly yellow light upon the vertically striped wallpaper. Our Ghost Host continues…

“Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion. I am your Host, your Ghost Host. Our tour begins here… Where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible, mortal state. Kindly step all the way in please, and make room for everyone. There’s no turning back now…”
A macabre servant of Gracey Manor bids one final world of friendly warning… “Kindly drag your bodies away from the walls and into the dead center of the room…

Suddenly, the panel slides shut, sealing us inside the octagonal space. The lighting shifts. Without warning, the entire room begins to “stretch,” and the portraits elongate to reveal the comically grim fate of their subjects. A dramatic musical underscore, added in 1993, plays beneath the famous dialogue:

“Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination - hmm? And consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows, and no doors… (Chuckles) Which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a way out! (Laughs) Of course, there’s always my way…”

Lightning flashes to reveal a corpse, our Ghost Host, dangling from a hangman’s noose in the cupola high above. The lights wink out, and a shrill scream fills the air.

At the scene’s conclusion, a panel in the wall of each of the two Portrait Chambers slides open to reveal one long, dimly lit corridor.

smDSYyPwuIHcJhWtz6L6bKwbrGA0rG5KaRo7SxQnL0VZEl8BfLSpS30ObzRjjbFjnciCQp2fIvw1bM-kzE9zbr7UPZIaPZFlgGl-wsrJ936CY3yPyzrsGpeQ5Kt7IL57SCeNXeeo

The scene is a nod to Ken Anderson’s Captain Gore story, in which the captain hanged himself in the attic after murdering his young bride. The room that stretches was a creative solution to an operational problem. In order to meet the park’s capacity requirements, the attraction was housed in an enormous show building outside Disneyland’s berm. Imagineers needed to move guests belowground to the show building “outside” the park. So, in the Stretching Room, the ceiling remains in place while the floor lowers, taking guests fifteen feet underground to a corridor that transports them under the railroad tracks and into the show building itself. The four “stretching” portraits unfurl to reach their full dimensions, extending from three to eight feet, as the elevator makes its descent. The four portraits, all in which were conceptualized by Marc Davis, “stretch” to reveal a beautiful woman with a parasol on a frayed tightrope above the jaws of an alligator; a middle-aged man holding a document standing on a lit barrel of dynamite in boxer shorts; a smiling elderly woman holding a rose sitting on the tombstone of her (murdered) husband; a confident man in a bowler hat sitting on the shoulders of two frightened men waist-deep in quicksand.

The ceiling is a theatrical scrim, a piece of fabric that is opaque when lit from the front (and painted to look like the chamber’s ceiling) and translucent when lit from behind, in this case by “lightning,” revealing the long-since decayed corpse of the Ghost Host hanging from the previously unseen rafters.

0ShD0UyVN6XldD4sgsHA6bFemQfLpTIqHi_msuLXkywemJv8cR2N4rBrIE0nqT5Bel7V_VNm77arjMHJywkP2Nto3QxcZkhDkX2pnL-f1YTR8bgP0B7GtpMnaXY4cmMKBbUP0QO2

Imagineers, in 2011, implemented a state-of-the-art three-dimensional audio system for the Portrait Chamber to create the illusion that the Ghost Host is gliding around the room as he delivers his infamous narration. When the room begins to stretch, a low rumbling emanates from the floor, and the walls begin to moan and groan as guests actually hear and feel the chamber elongating around them.

John Debney’s sweeping instrumental for the "Secret Room" of Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris was retained as an underscore for the classic Stretching Room, first introduced to the Mansion in a 1993 refurbishment, complete with Katherine Meyering’s haunting vocal track. Once the Ghost Host’s fate is revealed and the lights go out, we hear the disquieting fluttering of bats’ wings accompanying the familiar descending scream - as though the supernatural commotion has disturbed their peaceful slumber. If one listens closely as they file out of the Portrait Chamber, they might hear the playful, childlike whispers of the gargoyles urging them to “stay together” and, ultimately, “get out!”

“Oh, I didn’t mean to frighten you prematurely. The real chills come later. Now, as they say, ‘look alive,’ and we’ll continue our little tour. And let’s all stay together, please.”

The Portrait Corridor & Grand Staircase

VRbSjdSKRukknyILLd6ijLa3Jdbr9UyPb0l-e0WPOiwCeTy1TCJvJr3V2a_g43pBD08bAyp22_AtAzHj0eJdGXFZk4jZ71mQXr4JqKHpVGXspQ8IyyRKLg4ZwifkWyZ8w5tPlWUa

“There are several prominent ghosts who have retired here from creepy old crypts all over the world. Actually, we have 999 happy haunts here - but there’s room for a thousand. Any volunteers? (Laughs) If you insist on lagging behind, you may not need to volunteer.

And now, a carriage approaches to take you into the boundless realm of the supernatural. Take your loved ones by the hand, please, and kindly watch your step. Oh yes, and no flash pictures, please. We spirits are frightfully sensitive to bright lights.”

The Portrait Chamber exits into a long, dimly lit hallway filled with portraits of “prominent” denizens of the Haunted Mansion… The left side of the corridor is lined with windows that overlook a moonlit landscape in a rainstorm, intermittently illuminated by violent flashes of lightning. Portraits hang on the wall to the right, the subject of each transforming into a nightmarish image with each flash of lightning - the beautiful Medusa turns into a hideous Gorgon; a proud galleon devolves into a ghost ship; a gallant knight and his steed both become skeletons; a vampire, Count Dracula, transforms into a grinning bat-creature; and a beautiful young woman reclining on a couch is transformed into a white tiger. Dusty mirrors, framed certificates, macabre silhouettes and even tribal masks with horrific expressions fill the gaps between the portraits. At the far end of the hallway, an ominous-looking taxidermy mount of a grizzly bear stands against the wall. Is this haunted bear actually growling, or is it your imagination? Hmm?

Most, if not all, of the portraits are based on Marc Davis concepts - another showcase for his decidedly lighter approach to the Haunted Mansion’s macabre material. In a January 2005 enhancement to the Disneyland attraction, the Imagineers updated the transforming portraits with new technology that enabled them to realize the original design team’s creative vision of images that would change in perfect time with the lightning flashes “outside.”

From 1969 - 1992, guests would proceed into a “limbo of boundless mist and decay,” at least according to The Story and Song from The Haunted Mansion, a record album released in 1969. This strange, cloud-shrouded room was the Doom Buggy Load Area and featured little more but seldom screams, lighting fixtures and rubber spiders caught in giant webs. Guests stepped onto a moving walkway and climbed into their Doom Buggy, where the Ghost Host was waiting to escort them on their tour of these happy haunting grounds.

This, however, changed in 1993 following the success of Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris.

kSA1QQ6XGnAmkOetLy0O31cnL3ehhCofyMgozp2rQxJnMFWAOX17Ew7o7WODLVy_awELbdGGlbe5qAPfWigaTFKzxFRj3qHBvdgKLqBmajgQvEbQefBJKy_xEHGDdxgL9fITV7U6

In mid 1992, Imagineers began looking for ways to "plus" existing Disneyland attractions with some of the more contemporary ideas and technological advancements featured in the recently opened Disneyland Paris. Phantom Manor, "Euro Disneyland's" darker and more "adult" version of the Haunted Mansion, had introduced a cinematic score by John Debney, as well as a number of improvements and additions that considerably perfected the classic Mansion. A 1993 refurbishment would boldly swap the Mansion's original score by Buddy Baker for Debney's sweeping and sorrowful soundtrack. The Mansion's existing "Bride" character was altered and her backstory was expanded, and a new scene, the "Grand Staircase" was introduced. The unique refurbishment was nicknamed "The Phantom Mansion."

The Grand Staircase effectively replaced said "boundless mist and decay." An enormous picture window at the top of the staircase looks onto a sinister, moonlit landscape illuminated by flashes of lightning. As the lightning flashes, the scene is drained of all color, becoming a melancholy, monochromatic grey landscape. The brilliant scene has remained since the '93 enhancements, unlike the Debney score. Buddy Baker's original soundtrack returned to the Mansion in 1999 for the attraction's 30th Anniversary. Debney's score, of course, remains in the Portrait Chamber to this day.

A supernatural wind blows to the tune of “Grim Grinning Ghosts.” The sculpted bats that top the stanchions throughout the Portrait Corridor and Grand Staircase are original designs, another testament to the Imagineers' attention to detail. There are three styles of bat - two-winged, right-winged, and left-winged - to accommodate the various turns and switchbacks.

We board a Doom Buggy of our own at the foot of the Grand Staircase. The ethereal outline of a phantom hearse and its ethereal driver ride alongside our carriage in the picture window.

“Do not pull down on the safety bar, please. I will lower it for you. And heed this warning: The spirits will materialize only if you remain safely seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside. And watch your children, please.”
A pair of carved griffins bid our farewell, or our "bone voyage," as we ascend a staircase to the second floor, and into the...

Hall of Infamy

3piCrmArKDJjwkDpSl8Z59RT5VQWkYhP48ABTshVk5yRzpdxmvFHPvYTZZEWqW0-NfMd7IYikYQMn5PGZCPEwGs0V0Xb8a9RyGrJFbexYLuogLenfBsophjmmg_a6BXpYAdAINHH

The wind howls well into a dark corridor on the second floor before us, a rather sinister collection of macabre portraits and cobwebs galore. The portraits, however, the "Sinister 11," steal the show with their eerie, glowing eyes that follow our every move. The axe-wielding Ghost Host cut free of his noose; Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, the latter holding her removed head; the chained Ghost of Jacob Marley; the haggardly, once beautiful "December" in a formal pose; Ivan the Terrible; the phantom of a Mariner lost at sea; Guy Fawkes with his favorite keg of gunpowder; a stern and middle-aged couple; a four-armed Frankenstein's Monster; Jack the Ripper; the solemn Witch of Walpurgis and her trusted cat.

The Sinister 11 are based on unused designs by Marc Davis for changing or "talking" portraits. Marley is an exception, an artistic variation on the "Burning Miser" by Marc Davis. The four-armed Frankenstein's Monster comes from an early story treatment by Ken Anderson, though the humorous design ultimately came from Marc as well. The eyes are cut out of the original portraits and the "half-eyeballs" are set behind the portrait and backlit, giving the impression that they are following the viewer. The subjects allude to the one-time idea of having the Haunted Mansion house fictional and historical villains alike, a concept heavily realized here.

More to come!

If we're being totally honest here, I really don't like the aesthetic of the "Limbo" loading area. Maybe it's because I grew up with the Floridian Mansion with its "Portrait Gallery" loading area, but after such a strong opening scene in the Stretching Room, going to see this sparse room is something of a tonal whiplash. Another thing that rubs me the wrong way is the way it's set up. Is this supposed to be outside? Plus, from what I've seen from YouTube videos, the staircase the Buggies go up just feels out-of-place with the "outdoor Limbo." So, with all that said, I'm glad to see this Grand Staircase concept here. I can easily picture the Buggies going up the stairs and into the Endless Hallway. It helps solidify the theme a bit more.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
If we're being totally honest here, I really don't like the aesthetic of the "Limbo" loading area. Maybe it's because I grew up with the Floridian Mansion with its "Portrait Gallery" loading area, but after such a strong opening scene in the Stretching Room, going to see this sparse room is something of a tonal whiplash. Another thing that rubs me the wrong way is the way it's set up. Is this supposed to be outside? Plus, from what I've seen from YouTube videos, the staircase the Buggies go up just feels out-of-place with the "outdoor Limbo." So, with all that said, I'm glad to see this Grand Staircase concept here. I can easily picture the Buggies going up the stairs and into the Endless Hallway. It helps solidify the theme a bit more.

The "limbo" scene is essentially the old spider-web scene from Florida. I hate, hate, hate it. I'm a Mansion die-hard, but the real die-hards for the Disneyland Mansion absolutely adore the scene and consider it to be one of the best in the ride! But this, being my alternate dimension, allows me the chance to do what I want. ;) Of course, the Disneyland Mansion will always be my favorite, but Walt Disney World did a much better job with their load area, though, I do miss the Portrait Corridor being before you get on your Doom Buggy. With this alternate version of the Disneyland Mansion, I kind of made the "ultimate" classic Haunted Mansion. It has literally all the scenes from the classic trio (DL, WDW, TDL) mixed into one mega-version. In my opinion, Tokyo has the best Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom