Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

Kingoglow

And everyone under 25 is a kid IMO... you’re still figuring things out.

Your opinion is wrong.
Legally, 25 is seven years past adulthood. You can be 50 and still be figuring out, but that doesn't make you a kid. Some people are just slow learners; this also doesn't make them a kid.

No one cares if this guys pleads 'but I am still figuring it out', he will be tried as an adult.

MotherOfBirds

As a former court reporter, hooo-boy what I would give to be sitting in on these depositions.

A quick note on the "kid" issue, it should be remarked that actual kids, a.k.a. minors as young as 12, get aged up in the public narrative all the time and are often tried as adults, leading to longer and harsher sentences and worse long term outcomes for their lives as a whole. A white 20-something with daddy's money to back him up is not a kid. He's an immature adult who isn't used to facing consequences.

Dragonman

Something interesting I found. It was no doubt the early red jacket that was stolen but I noticed it was mentioned his hands were replaced with gloves later on and it turns out the early look actually had gloves as well.

Bleed0range

The last time I posted in this thread I was told definitively that Buzzy was not stolen. Well, as I suspected he was! Glad to have proof now.

As I said before where there’s smoke there’s fire. This guy definitely stole Buzzy. One of several people who stole him. They said there was up to $30,000 paypal’d to him. One of the bigger sums could be Buzzy.

Then again, he may have never had a chance to sell Buzzy. Buzzy could be hidden somewhere or he could have destroyed him someplace once it started to become clear they were on to him.

The fact that the Buzzy case is on-going makes me believe they have some leads and a haven’t mounted enough evidence just yet to come at him so clear cut like with the HM theft.

Either way, this guy needs his jail time.

goldenstate5

I’ve heard from multiple people that archives took him. Looks like a much more professional removal beyond his lift system, so that’s my going theory

I can concur with this. It looks much cleaner plus there's an additional appendage that was removed with clear care. Thieves would've just sliced the head off. I don't think Hypothalumus holds value at all and wouldn't be seen as worth.

The head posted isn’t his actual head, that’s his face mold. I presume that mold was also stolen, but it always could’ve been salvaged from the trash too 🤷‍♂️

This kinda gets me: where did it come from? I doubt it came from WoL, as the mold would've certainly come from Glendale where the AA was built in the 80s.

Something interesting I found. It was no doubt the early red jacket that was stolen but I noticed it was mentioned his hands were replaced with gloves later on and it turns out the early look actually had gloves as well. View attachment 374396View attachment 374397View attachment 374400

The red jacket, and all of that costuming was never used even when programming the show. It was from a version that was junked when WDI abruptly cancelled production on a third-party as late as the stage and AA being dressed. Jerry Rees and Feature Animation took over the bulk of the project and barely made opening day. Presumably the AA was redressed after Buzzy's redesign and then programming began. I highly, highly doubt that the old costuming laid backstage in WoL itself. I think @DreamfinderGuy did say that the unused blue cap went to EPCOT costuming department however.

janoimagine

I usually see your point but I respectfully disagree here ... as a child you know what stealing is, you know what bad behavior is, you know what consequences are. I would say as early as 9-10 you know what theft is ... this tool was old enough to have figured out right from wrong, especially something as extreme as this. Your an adult, old enough to vote and drink ... and you know the difference between petty theft and grand theft. Personally I feel like an example needs to be made here to prevent this from happening again ... mainly because he kept mouthing off online and continued to poke the bear ... the smug attitude isn't winning him any favors either.

GhostlyGoofy

I can concur with this. It looks much cleaner plus there's an additional appendage that was removed with clear care. Thieves would've just sliced the head off. I don't think Hypothalumus holds value at all and wouldn't be seen as worth.

This kinda gets me: where did it come from? I doubt it came from WoL, as the mold would've certainly come from Glendale where the AA was built in the 80s.

The red jacket, and all of that costuming was never used even when programming the show. It was from a version that was junked when WDI abruptly cancelled production on a third-party as late as the stage and AA being dressed. Jerry Rees and Feature Animation took over the bulk of the project and barely made opening day. Presumably the AA was redressed after Buzzy's redesign and then programming began. I highly, highly doubt that the old costuming laid backstage in WoL itself. I think @DreamfinderGuy did say that the unused blue cap went to EPCOT costuming department however.
I think it's quite possible with the original reporting of a red Jacket, police were going off employee testimony. Is it possible who ever answered just had hazy memory of buzzy and said it was a red jacket?

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What will all the "Buzzy was stolen, and BDD did it, I know it!" people do if Buzzy shows up... next door... eventually...

Edit: I have no skin in this game. It's just interesting to sit back and watch armchair detectives claim theft when others, who are more knowledgeable and "know people", have said otherwise. :)

GhostlyGoofy

I don't think Patrick pulled off the Buzzy heist. It's one thing to steal dresses, but stealing animatronics requires a full crew and I don't think he's that competent to pull that one off. I do think he knows who did it.
The affidavit states spikes had photos of other animatronics. I don't know the size. Also he had an ID badge printer and dressed his cousin up as an employee.

It's quite possible he printed out several fake Employee badges, dressed a few friends in black polos to look like stage techs and they just walked in WOL.

NelsonRD

At 18 I graduated high school. 22 Graduated College. Bought my first house at 23, and had my masters degree in engineering by 25.

It is comments and thoughts like this that is creating a society where people are not held accountable for their actions. Why people are unwilling to start at the bottom and work their way up as they "figure things out".

At 16 IMO your an adult. If you are old enough to be trusted share the roads with me and my family in an automobile, you are trusted with right and wrong decisions.

glawio

As to the theft reports related to Buzzy's hands and clothes, I theorized on the old thread that, given the descriptions, they likely had a storage locker somewhere in the vicinity that contained the back up and/or retired wardrobe (hands and a red jacket that would match up with the short-lived original look were mentioned in the incident report attached below) and equipment that was probably what was stolen. Now that we know the HM props weren't stolen off the animatronics, but rather from the storage locker rotation, it makes sense to me that there was probably a similar storage bin at WoL and some or all of the Buzzy items likely were taken from it.

View attachment 374382

This has been really confusing. Let me see if I can get this straightened out. I'll make a little Buzzy timeline/field guide.

-First appearance: Red jumpsuit, white gloves, blue hat
This was the beta design for Buzzy. This is not really Buzzy but rather "Captain Cortex" from before they had the current preshow made. Before we got the preshow we have today, Colossal Pictures was working on animating one, but halfway through production it was deemed too dry and condescending and handed over to Walt Disney Feature Animation. I believe this is why we have this kind of weird mural of an early-production Captain Cortex and General Knowledge, and also why Buzzy looks so different in the preshow than the animatronic does. They had to retrofit an animatronic they already had to resemble a new, animated character.
This Buzzy was never shown to the public. He appeared in some promotional images (such as 1989 cover of Disney News and in the WDW Explorer CD-Rom)

-Second appearance: Big glasses, green hat, brown coat, molded rubber hands
Here he now looks like pre-show Buzzy (kinda). He's got the big glasses, green hat, big headphones, brown jacket, green shirt and pants, and notably the molded rubber hands. This version is the one most often used in promotional images and promotional video, and in every news article written about him as of recently. It is difficult to find video/pictures taken by the public of this particular Buzzy model as he was changed fairly soon thereafter. Here's a camcorder video of this Buzzy model from 1989. The molded rubber hands did not play well with the animatronic underbody, and got worn out quickly. Because of this, he was given rubber-lined brown gloves. I'm not sure of exactly when this change happened.

-Third appearance: Small glasses, brown gloves
For whatever, his glasses were changed. The ones Buzzy has in this third appearance are much smaller. His eyes have been repainted (smaller pupils) and he now has eyelashes. This was the last change they made to him before it's closure, and he ran like this for the majority of his life-- most pictures of him you see taken by the public/cast members are this version. As we know, after the ride had closed, Buzzy started to look very bad and his lazy eye got very intense. (Interestingly, his lazy eye seems to be a problem as far back as the second appearance as he appears to have a little eye trouble in a bit of promotional footage that was spliced into this video.)

-Fourth appearance: Bare animatronic hands
In 2013, someone posted a photo of Buzzy that included scaffolding around him. Note his hands. There were reports that people were working on him. After this event, photos of Buzzy showed that his lazy eye and his one wild eyebrow had been fixed. He then looked great up until he was stolen in late 2018, with the exception of his hands being bare animatronic. According to BDD (not the most reliable source, I know) his brown gloves had been stolen in October 2012.

This is just a rough timeline. It is a little bit hard to date pictures of him but you can usually do so by noting the appearance differences, position in the chair, and amount of hydraulic fluid stain on the screen underneath him. (Earlier, and later.)

So, about the police report mentioning the red jacket. If you'll notice the picture of Buzzy for the second appearance, there is a red light cast on him. I personally think the person who wrote the police report saw this picture as opposed to the other ones (its the easiest available HD pic of Buzzy) and thought that his jacket was red because of it. First appearance Buzzy/Captain Cortex is wearing a red jumpsuit rather than jacket. I spoke with somebody who had personally seen the picture of BDD's car, and they noted specifically that the jacket in the photo was brown. (Take with a grain of salt)

As for the hands, I have no idea why the hands that were reported missing were the rubber ones. I do not know if the police again googled Buzzy and saw the aforementioned picture where he has rubber hands, or if they looked at Disney documentation about Buzzy that only listed the cosmetics for second appearance Buzzy. There are probably extra costumes in storage for him, I've seen it mentioned his blue hat is in Costuming. Always found it a little weird we never saw photos of Buzzy without his hat/headphones and jacket after they were stolen. I feel like someone would have taken a picture of that.

Phew! All done! ..........................Looking back on this whole post, it's a lot...I swear to god I didn't steal him! Just a fangirl...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not missing that at all! Just disagree with how it would be spun. Headline here is former employee repeatedly steals from Disney — and his LUDICROUS trail of flaunting behavior on social media provides plenty of snapshots.

Know who would read that story? Some Disney fans... Know who would share a story about Evil Corp flexing muscle chasing people over a wig? Millions...

flynnibus

Premium Member
At 18 I graduated high school. 22 Graduated College. Bought my first house at 23, and had my masters degree in engineering by 25.

Good on you.. by 24 I was married, had kids, owned a house, two cars, and had a career job that had me traveling the world and I still benefit from now. Where's my cookie?

That doesn't change that this largely is the exception, not the convention. Most young adults still have many of those life events in front of them because they barely leave the nest through and after college.

DreamfinderGuy

Why on earth would you make me look at this again?! 🙈

BDD released a podcast recently where he talked about knowing the person who took Buzzy's gloves (For clarification, the molded rubber hands he had were replaced fairly early on because they were getting worn out from the mechanics of the AA, and were replaced with the brown fabric gloves, the brown gloves is what I'm talking about), and the person had bragged about them, so he knew who they were, yet mysteriously had no way to contact this person anymore. He said he was going to post pictures of the gloves but never ended up doing it.

Apparently, his gloves had been stolen in 2012 and he sat there with his cool robo hands for quite some time.

Orrrrrr this could have been a big cover-up to take the suspicion off him...Who freaking knows anymore?
This was real. I’ve seen the gloves photos, they were taken in 2012. I also know who took them, or at least who had them at the time. Also no way to contact them anymore.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you are 24 and are still having trouble figuring out that you don't steal things, that's a problem.
HOWEVER...at age 25, everyone - except those with severe developmental disabilities or mental health issues - knows the difference between right and wrong.
Disagree!! Brain is fully formed past early 20’s — and anyone at that age (long before!!!) knows you don’t steal. Come on now.
No one cares if this guys pleads 'but I am still figuring it out', he will be tried as an adult.
A quick note on the "kid" issue, it should be remarked that actual kids, a.k.a. minors as young as 12, get aged up in the public narrative all the time and are often tried as adults, leading to longer and harsher sentences and worse long term outcomes for their lives as a whole.
I usually see your point but I respectfully disagree here ... as a child you know what stealing is, you know what bad behavior is, you know what consequences are
At 16 IMO your an adult. If you are old enough to be trusted share the roads with me and my family in an automobile, you are trusted with right and wrong decisions.

FFS people... NEVER did I say his actions should be looked differently on because of his age, or my use of the word 'kid'. NEVER did I say he should be given any graces because of his age. NEVER did I say anything about his age (or any kid's for that matter) and his ability to reason right or wrong. The use of the word kid was about his age and how it would be exploited by media.

This kind of response generated illustrates EXACTLY why editors would label him as kid or exploitable... because the idea is a kid is some protected, impressonable, something to be harbored thing.

He's still a kid... and he's likely going to prison. And he deserves it.

NelsonRD

I disagree. Nobody is immune to challenges in life. We all have them, and putting it off until your older, does not make you a child longer. You are doing adults a huge dis-service to imply to them that adulthood should start older because they have they have not had to work as hard as generations in the past. Your motivation, ethics, and values are installed before your 25, whether you live as adult or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom