Ferry Boat bathroom removal permit

scottnj1966

Original Poster
Could someone help me find the permit that showed the removal of the bathrooms on the ferry boats. It was a few years back but none of my searches have come up with anything.

Thanks all!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Could someone help me find the permit that showed the removal of the bathrooms on the ferry boats. It was a few years back but none of my searches have come up with anything.

Thanks all!

I don't think that is something that would need a construction permit since it's a vehicle, not permanent structure. I have been looking at the permits for years now and have never seen one for something like that.

thomas998

Thanks all!
Permit are required for construction of things that become permanent fixtures. If they were to build a bathroom on the docks for the ferry boats they would need a permit, just as they would if they built them at the monorail stations... but if they add them to the boats or monorail trains or remove them from either of those vehicles they would never need a permit as the vehicles... just like your home, if you build a bathroom in your garage you would need a permit but if you have someone install a port-a-pot in your minivan you don't.

scottnj1966

Original Poster
I don't think that is something that would need a construction permit since it's a vehicle, not permanent structure. I have been looking at the permits for years now and have never seen one for something like that.

Thank you.
I found that the work was done back in 2011 and you are probably right that it did not need a permit.

scottnj1966

Original Poster
Permit are required for construction of things that become permanent fixtures. If they were to build a bathroom on the docks for the ferry boats they would need a permit, just as they would if they built them at the monorail stations... but if they add them to the boats or monorail trains or remove them from either of those vehicles they would never need a permit as the vehicles... just like your home, if you build a bathroom in your garage you would need a permit but if you have someone install a port-a-pot in your minivan you don't.

Thank you.
That makes sense.

John park hopper

So that explains the 5 gallon buckets that replaced the permanent ferry toilet --buckets don't need a permit

graphite1326

Maybe in your state you need a permit to build one in your garage, but we don't.

thomas998

So that explains the 5 gallon buckets that replaced the permanent ferry toilet --buckets don't need a permit
Given the age of the ferries and the way toilets on large boats used to be done in the past, the removal of the toilets may have had more to do with environmental regulations. A lot of toilets on boats int he past really just ended up dumping the waste into the water. While the early models of marine toilets in the late 1960's sort of treated the waste before dumping it... it wasn't a great system as it pretty much consisted of a grinder and chlorination system that did a quick grind and squirt before dumping it into the water. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the original toilet on the Ferry boats... but I don't think I ever remember seeing one up close so I have no clue as to which technology they originally used.

thomas998

Maybe in your state you need a permit to build one in your garage, but we don't.
Probably depends a lot on the city you live in more than the state. We don't get out building permits from the state we have to get them from the city you live in. If you life outside the city limits you can pretty much build whatever an no one will say anything. And the cities pretty much vary as to how strict they are. A relative just build a wooden deck on the back of his house and because a neighbor turned him in, he had to remove it because he didn't have a building permit... compared to others where you make small additions so long as they don't go over a certain dollar amount or size before the city starts to get involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom