Disneyland ranked only 5th - These Are the Best Theme Parks in the U.S. to Visit This Summer

mickEblu

Disneyland doesn't have to be first but I have no idea how USH is? It's funny, the rides are 90% of what most Disney fans scream about hating, nothing but screens and 3D stuff. There is not a single original ride in the place. All of its best rides are clones from other Universal parks. Maybe the original JP ride debut there first but thats it and how long ago was that now? Its biggest show is Waterworld which is now over 20 years old from a movie I doubt most people under 30 has ever watched. It has no real night time entertainment to speak of outside of the Harry Potter laser show which lasts five minutes and only shown in the summer and spring and you can do the entire park in a half a day even in busy season.

Its placement makes no sense to me. Top ten MAYBE,, but I just have no idea why its number one? Even the Orlando Universal parks are much better theme parks The only thing that sets USH from those is that it has a real working studio tour and even that is a shallow of itself from decades prior.

I agree with most of what you said but you forgot about the Tram ride. Tourists love that thing and it is a classic. USH might have better reviews because it could be the better experience for a tourist who is LA based. It’s not too far or much traffic to get there. It’s rarely as crowded as DL and it’s not too exhausting. It’s more convenient and has the Hollywood thing going on which tourists seem to love.

fctiger

I agree with most of what you said but you forgot about the Tram ride. Tourists love that thing and it is a classic. USH might have better reviews because it could be the better experience for a tourist who is LA based. It’s not too far or much traffic to get there. It’s rarely as crowded as DL and it’s not too exhausting.

No, I mentioned the tram tour at the very end but yes you are probably right that might be a big deal for many people. Don't get me wrong, I like USH (and I been to all the Universal parks minus Singapore) but even when I go, I do it, say 'that's nice' and have no urge to see it again for another year or so. Its just not enough there to bring me back more than once a year. If I had an AP, I would maybe go 2-3 times a year but the fact I don't want to shell out for a $150 AP also says it all.

But yes maybe as a tourist there is a much bigger appeal than to a local with all the things you said. And people who come to see 'L.A.' this is probably a bigger deal to be in a real working studio and to get glimpses of TV and movie sets from things they watch today. And it probably is nice you can see it all in a day if you have limited timee. For theme park junkie like me I want a park I can spend all day in and then some.

mickEblu

No, I mentioned the tram tour at the very end but yes you are probably right that might be a big deal for many people. Don't get me wrong, I like USH (and I been to all the Universal parks minus Singapore) but even when I go, I do it, say 'that's nice' and have no urge to see it again for another year or so. Its just not enough there to bring me back more than once a year. If I had an AP, I would maybe go 2-3 times a year but the fact I don't want to shell out for a $150 AP also says it all.

But yes maybe as a tourist there is a much bigger appeal than to a local with all the things you said. And people who come to see 'L.A.' this is probably a bigger deal to be in a real working studio and to get glimpses of TV and movie sets from things they watch today. And it probably is nice you can see it all in a day if you have limited timee. For theme park junkie like me I want a park I can spend all day in and then some.

Yeah I had an AP for Universal and I went twice. Not really enough to do for a local and I can’t do the Tram more than once or twice a year. USH for me is all about the Tram and Jurassic park. Mummy is cool too. I love how it’s nestled into the Hollywood hills overlooking all the studios. It’s a beautiful little park but just not enough not to do. I have some nostalgia for the place because when I was really young we would go there more than DL taking family visiting from Italy and because we lived in North Hollywood down the street. It’s pretty much a completely different park today from late 80s/ early 90s though.

One trip every 5 years or so to USH is perfect for me.

planodisney

Ok so you guys that are arguing this list is valid must agree then that Island at Pigeon Forge, USH and Sea World are better parks than Disneyland.
Got it.
I’ll take your opinion as fact as I don’t live in SoCal and don’t visit USH or DLR but once every few years.
Aren’t both parks really locals parks? What is the reason that so many more locals go to DL than USH? I think both are very well known in the local market. If USH is the superior park, and is LIKED MORE by locals, why is the attendance so much higher at DL? I really mean this question and I’m not trying to be a smart a_ _. This is really interesting.
I haven’t been to DL in a few years so I honestly didn’t realize it has gotten so bad as to fall behind Pigeon Forge. I guess I’m glad I’ve started going to WDW with my family.

mickEblu

Ok so you guys that are arguing this list is valid must agree then that Island at Pigeon Forge, USH and Sea World are better parks than Disneyland.
Got it.
I’ll take your opinion as fact as I don’t live in SoCal and don’t visit USH or DLR but once every few years.
Aren’t both parks really locals parks? What is the reason that so many more locals go to DL than USH? I think both are very well known in the local market. If USH is the superior park, and is LIKED MORE by locals, why is the attendance so much higher at DL? I really mean this question and I’m not trying to be a smart a_ _. This is really interesting.
I haven’t been to DL in a few years so I honestly didn’t realize it has gotten so bad as to fall behind Pigeon Forge. I guess I’m glad I’ve started going to WDW with my family.

Who said USH is superior?

PiratesMansion

Got it.

You're taking this way too seriously. It's just a list by some travel writer with minimal research and almost no personal experience...you know, like every other "best of" park list ever.

But some people might actually like The Island or USH or Sea World better and that is fine, because it does not affect you in any way. Just reality.

planodisney

I’m not taking the list seriously. I couldn’t give 2 flips about the list. It’s actually, I believe, not an article and some guys opinion, but based on TripAdvisor ratings.
Anyway, I was having fun with the discussion on the legitimacy of the results, not on if it’s possible anyone could have the opinion that USH or Pigeon Forge or Sea World is a better park than DL, but if a MAJORITY of people actually feel that way. Which is what this says.
Sometimes I just enjoy a good debate and don’t realize people can’t see my good natured intent.
Sorry!!
😞

lazyboy97o

But some people might actually like The Island or USH or Sea World better and that is fine, because it does not affect you in any way. Just reality.
People can like something all they want, but calling The Island an amusement park is rather silly. It’s a mall with some rides. Yes, it has a roller coaster, which IAAPA considers important in distinguishing an FEC from an amusement park, but it is also one that gets set up inside the Orange County Convention Center for a week for the IAAPA Attractions Expo.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I trust no list that doesn’t include kennywood for historic value alone in the top 20...and no Busch Williamsburg is a problem too.

Mgm is not close to #5....it’s not. It currently has about 6 attractions of worth and has always been underbuilt and overcrowded.

Just me

truecoat

Why not, it seems to rank high on many different satisfaction surveys.

Disneyland seems to be hurt by its success. Crowded parks, other guests rude, hard to watch parades, Fantasmic!, etc.
My last visit to USH seemed as crowded as Disneyland with less to do. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed my visit but find Disneyland vastly superior.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I found the way that they combined the parks to be... sketchy. Uni Hollywood should not be paired with UOR, especially when Seaworld Orlando is left to fend for itself.

The fairly recent rabid trend of lining up/compacting areas for parades and fireworks make both “magic kingdoms” a bit distasteful the worst it gets...

Which of course leads to monetization of them that compounds the issue: not enough attraction capacity added for two decades or more.

It takes a new attraction ever 2-3 years or so...that won’t change.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, it has been a very busy weekend (actually been looking forward to Monday!?!

Been reading all weekend, but wanted some quiet time to write a good response.

I posted the article since it was in my Saturday morning news links. Do I agree with the rankings, no, but then my ranking would be a lot different, and many wouldn't agree with me, But I thought it would make new discussion, other than Old Man Fashion Sense.

I was associated with TripAdvisor for many years, and learned quite a bit about how things work.

We are talking Average Joe's from across the world, they are not Theme Park Fans, heck many live in small to Medium size towns/villages. Their income isn't great, and going on vacation is a big deal. They are looking at/for value, and how the place being rated delivered on their expectations. A 4/5 Star place gets rated a lot harder than a value hotel.

So that middle of the road Hotel that delivers good service, a clean room, the free breakfast hits the spot, and the pool isn't too crowded gets great reviews.

A 4 Star that has hair in the sink gets a big drop, even if everything else was great.

Is it fair, no, but it is what it is.

Disney Parks gets a big build up, the family saves up to take the trip of their lifetime, and then gets to the park. They have to go through security, and are hit with LARGE crowds even before they enter the park, so the ratings have drop before even entering the park. Maybe they have gone to that local amusement park that offers free or unlimited sodas for one price. They get to Disney and get price shock. And I can keep going.

I have been to 11 of the 15 mentioned.

I would have put Dollywood in the list over The Island. But the costs of The Island are lower, and they deliver a fun experience.

So you have to remember, these folks are not ranking the locations, just giving input on one location.

TripAdvisor then takes the individual scores, which are many smaller 1-5 questions, such as food, rides, value perceived, cleanness, etc. Then the computers looks for the overall score based on all those smaller, individual scores, and uses AI to go through the reviews and scores them. (TA sells this information to Hotel Chains, Restaurants and other Tourist attractions).

So high scores are important to them, and they tweak their offerings to get better scores.

Disney does its own internal surveys and doesn't really pay for this sort of info. They do get some of it through "horse trading" with other people in the business.

Disney is at the top of the heap, and people expect more. But when they have a better time at Universal, well, that s how things can be changed.

These folks don't care about the new, shiny thing, if the old reliable ones deliver, well, that is a plus. You ride say Splash Mountain and notice things are run down, well, that is a minus. And that is the major flaw of doing internal surveying. Folks design the questions to get results that their bosses want.

International Guests have always loved USH, hey, its Hollywood, and the Tram Tour lets them see behind the scenes. Jaws is still rated high, and its been around for decades. But everyone understands the red dye (blood), the flames, and Bruce. You don't have to understand what the Tour Guide is saying. Same with Earthquake, it impresses every first time visitor.

It is the way life works. Its not fair, but heck, many times the guy who gets cheated at Three Card Monty leaves entertained.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
this list is obviously fake news

No. TripAdvisor prepared a press release and add packages to the media to get coverage. It is how things get done.

Disney pays KTLA good money to run Disney news segments on its Morning news, is that fake news?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom