Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster to be Re-Themed?

Fox&Hound

Aerosmith is outdated. Time for something new and fresh. Would it be that expensive to update signage, audio, and a new pre-show if they kept the concept and themed to a new band? Or is the money in paying for licensing? Not sure, honest question....It would be fun if every few years there was a new band, but with Indy going on year 100 as a show at DHS, I know I am clearly insane.....

Kman101

Aerosmith is outdated. Time for something new and fresh. Would it be that expensive to update signage, audio, and a new pre-show if they kept the concept and themed to a new band? Or is the money in paying for licensing? Not sure, honest question....It would be fun if every few years there was a new band, but with Indy going on year 100 as a show at DHS, I know I am clearly insane.....

lol @ year 100 ... lol

I agree, I'm fine with a re-theme. If they're "refreshing" the park, might as well keep going (yet Beauty and Mermaid continue ... at least we have rumors of an Indy update, not sure how accurate they are though) ... I don't quite get the attachment to Aerosmith some have. Is it that they truly like it as is (which is fine, I like the coaster as is too) or is it they think it's a waste to re-theme when the park needs added things? I agree additions are needed but it shouldn't shock anyone that a RnRc re-theme has been discussed and probably somewhere on the list ... I'm torn because I welcome a re-theme but I also agree the park needs additions and not replacements ...

The Pho

lol @ year 100 ... lol

I agree, I'm fine with a re-theme. If they're "refreshing" the park, might as well keep going (yet Beauty and Mermaid continue ... at least we have rumors of an Indy update, not sure how accurate they are though) ... I don't quite get the attachment to Aerosmith some have. Is it that they truly like it as is (which is fine, I like the coaster as is too) or is it they think it's a waste to re-theme when the park needs added things? I agree additions are needed but it shouldn't shock anyone that a RnRc re-theme has been discussed and probably somewhere on the list ... I'm torn because I welcome a re-theme but I also agree the park needs additions and not replacements ...

2 fronts for me. First off retheming doesn’t help capacity. The ride remains very popular so they should spend the time designing additions the park so desperately needs since they started changing its overall theme.
Second, Disney is simply not good at retheming/reimagining rides. If something is to be done with the ride, I’d prefer they demo it and replace rather than retheming based solely on their track record.

Kman101

2 fronts for me. First off retheming doesn’t help capacity. The ride remains very popular so they should spend the time designing additions the park so desperately needs since they started changing its overall theme.
Second, Disney is simply not good at retheming/reimagining rides. If something is to be done with the ride, I’d prefer they demo it and replace rather than retheming based solely on their track record.

I understand your last point completely. But they aren't demoing it. A coaster is easily re-themed. And nope, they don't have a solid track record with this at all. So I understand the lack of interest from some if that's where they're coming from.

And nope, it doesn't help capacity. But if they cared about capacity they'd be doing a lot of things differently. They should. And I did say I was torn because they do need additions for capacity, something I've been shouting about since the DHS revamp started ... I've said many times they've fumbled (yet again), lol.

But some of you aren't looking at it from the Disney management position. It's not an IP they can market or sell merchandise for. That tells you all you need to know and likely a big reason why they're re-theming. People seem sort of shocked they'd even re-theme it, but they shouldn't be shocked.

Like I said I do think the money could be better spent elsewhere, especially with a park that desperately needs capacity, so I'm ultimately torn because I really don't mind a retheme but again, we need additions.

Bender123

My understanding is that had to do more with guest satisfaction ratings on Tower at DCA - it was something guests did once they were in the park, but they didn't cite it as something that was drawing them to the park in the first place. For such a large, expensive attraction, the fact that it didn't really serve the resort as a headlining, signature attraction was seen as a problem that could be improved upon with an influx of cash (and, it seems, some new IP). I don't love Mission Breakout myself, but it did the job of turning the attraction back into a big draw for the park.

This is all to say that Rock N' Roller Coaster doesn't seem to have this problem. It actively pulls people to DHS and they seem to say as much. That doesn't mean that it couldn't be rethemed - with all the change going on in DHS, it's possible they may do something to make it fit the park's "new personality" - but it's not really in the same situation as Tower at DCA.

And lets not even start on how inferior the DCA version of Tower was...No forward motion, single lift/drop shaft and generally "cheap" in comparison. It was a headliner that got hamstrung by pure cheapness. It was like the opposite of PotC...The DL version is just superior and I don't think you can really argue that point.

For all the love we have for Tower, the DCA version was not the same ride beyond theme, name and it goes up/down...

ImperfectPixie

lol @ year 100 ... lol

A little bit of both for me.

Steven Tyler owns a house in the town I grew up in, so it wasn't uncommon to see him out and about - even at the grocery store! (My mother has seen him fairly often and says he's amazingly nice.) That said, I'm not against a re-theme, as long as it's done well. (GotG Mix Tape would be high on my love list just because I love the music!)

I'd rather they back-burner re-themes and add more rides/attractions/live entertainment (provided that entertainment isn't indoor shows or dance parties - I'm really not a fan of the dance parties) to the park - especially things that eat crowds. (And shade and seating...we need more places to sit in ALL the parks, Disney!)

Last edited:

The Pho

But some of you aren't looking at it from the Disney management position.
Most comments here don’t care about looking at it from that angle. They want what they want regardless of what management would think. Personally I’d prefer they don’t touch it unless they truly have a great plan for the area, but if they do I’ll hope for the best.

Sure from Disney’s end, retheming something to increase profits from it might be the logical choice to them. Guests don’t want profits maximized, they want enjoyment maximized. And if Star Wars brings in as many people as most are expecting, shutting a popular ride down to retheme it is going to hurt the park going experience for that period it is down. And capacity issues will only continue to get worse until they really decide to address the problem, which they don’t seem to think is a problem, so we’ll probably just get a minor retheme at best.

No Name

How about if they retheme it it’s not just a random ride using a movie franchise as it’s basis? How about something music-related, something celebrity-related, something entertainment-related, etc. Something to increase the cohesion and appeal of the park because they’ve already captured the market they keep going for.

Universal has Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.

But those bands wouldn’t be “Disney” which would probably give the Bobs major aneurysms.

RSoxNo1

I love the Powerline idea that was posted earlier in this thread. It be my top option for a re-theme. You could make the limos into a stretch AMC Pacer Wagon (car from the movie). Even if they want to keep the ride focused on one band with the current concept, at least update the queue area film with an HD recording.

I have no attachment to Aerosmith as an IP. So I'd be fine with those who've suggested doing a Guardians of the Galaxy Mixtape overlay. I'm assuming it be a higher quality Hyperspace Mountain with classic rock instead of Star Wars. Even if you don't like/care about Guardians, I think the soundtrack has mass appeal:

Vol. 1 Soundtrack
1. "Hooked on a Feeling" - Blue Swede
2. "Go All the Way" - Raspberries
3. "Spirit in the Sky" - Norman Greenbaum
4. "Moonage Daydream" - David Bowie
5. "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" - Elvin Bishop
6. "I Want You Back" - The Jackson 5
7. "I'm Not in Love" - 10cc
8. "Come and Get Your Love" - Redbone
9. "Cherry Bomb" - The Runaways
10. "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" - Rupert Holmes
11. "O-o-h Child" - Five Stairsteps
12. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Vol. 2 Soundtrack
1. "Mr. Blue Sky" - Electric Light Orchestra
2. "Fox on the Run" - Sweet
3. "Lake Shore Drive" - Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah
4. "The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac
5. "Bring It on Home to Me" - Sam Cooke
6. "Southern Nights" - Glen Campbell
7. "My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison
8. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" - Looking Glass
9. "Come a Little Bit Closer" - Jay and the Americans
10. "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" - Silver
11. "Surrender" - Cheap Trick
12. "Father and Son" - Cat Stevens
13. "Flash Light" - Parliament
14. "Guardians Inferno" - The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff
There were a few decisions related to Guardians that I would have been fine with. I like the idea of differentiating IP vs Non-IP in Tomorrowland and Future World. I would have been on board with TRON and Guardians going to Tomorrowland with a rebuilt Space Mountain in Future World.

Alternatively, adding Marvel (to the extent that they can) on a new loop that would connect the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster courtyard to Animation Courtyard would also work. A Guardians re-design of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster combined with a Doctor Strange dark ride into the mirror dimension would be a lot of fun.

CalebS

The only way I would support them wasting time and money with a re-theme would be if they were re-theming it so that it would match a new area they were creating that was coming with additional rides and capacity

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I've often thought that the whole RnR area should be turned into Toontown. Create an entry tunnel (like in the movie) where the current stretch hangs overhead, and you've got a complimenting themed area to Sunset Blvd. RnR could be rethemed to Benny the Cab, with the crazy toontown soundtrack, move Mickey and Minnie (and their homes) as well as a few other M&G's into the area, and let's not forget Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin. Some of the parking lot behind the Sunset Ranch Market could be used and maybe even a connection to the old animation building. Just my armchair Imagineering at work.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Other than the Powerline and Electric Mayhem ideas there's really no other options that sound compelling. There's really no other band that can replace Aerosmith and a generic theme of random Rock music tracks wouldn't impress anyone.

Bleed0range

After watching the latest DuckTales episode featuring Darkwing Duck, I thought it could be re-themed to that with Launchpad as the driver of your limo taking you to the premiere of the Darkwing Duck movie that Uncle Scrooge financed. The pre-show could be at McDuck Pictures which has a logo in the show lifted from the Disney Animation Studios logo.

Then they could have Launchpad play some of his favorite songs on the way, which could include Powerline from A Goofy Movie, which they played in another episode. Launchpad being who he is, he would obviously almost crash the limo a lot.

It would fit the studios theme and tie into the reimagining that Disney has been doing of the Disney Afternoon.

The Grand Inquisitor

After watching the latest DuckTales episode featuring Darkwing Duck, I thought it could be re-themed to that with Launchpad as the driver of your limo taking you to the premiere of the Darkwing Duck movie that Uncle Scrooge financed. The pre-show could be at McDuck Pictures which has a logo in the show lifted from the Disney Animation Studios logo.

View attachment 373670

Then they could have Launchpad play some of his favorite songs on the way, which could include Powerline from A Goofy Movie, which they played in another episode. Launchpad being who he is, he would obviously almost crash the limo a lot.

It would fit the studios theme and tie into the reimagining that Disney has been doing of the Disney Afternoon.
I love this idea!!!!! Either go with this or have Dr teeth and the electric mayhem take over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom