Done they were. Lied they did.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Next Generation was definitely episodic through and through. DS9 started out that way, and you're right that it did not have a pre-thought out arc in the way that B5 did, but I think you're doing it a disservice in your description.

Once Ira Steven Behr took over the writers room, DS9 became heavily serialized and arc-driven to the point where by season 7, it was almost entirely serialized. Heck, the final ten episodes of the series are even listed on Netflix as being parts 1 through 10 of a single episode.

I agree B5 did a great deal to set the stage for a lot of what was to come in serialized storytelling. But I think DS9 had a major impact as well.

I’m just about the biggest DS9 fan on the planet. You don’t have to tell me.

But the dominion war didn’t come in till season 5 or so...it was pretty episode till then

Mike S

Next Generation was definitely episodic through and through. DS9 started out that way, and you're right that it did not have a pre-thought out arc in the way that B5 did, but I think you're doing it a disservice in your description.

Once Ira Steven Behr took over the writers room, DS9 became heavily serialized and arc-driven to the point where by season 7, it was almost entirely serialized. Heck, the final ten episodes of the series are even listed on Netflix as being parts 1 through 10 of a single episode.

I agree B5 did a great deal to set the stage for a lot of what was to come in serialized storytelling. But I think DS9 had a major impact as well.
See this is where I’m on the other side of the debate. My first real exposure to Star Trek was the new movies and I do quite enjoy them. However, that doesn’t mean I’m unaware of how fans of old Trek feel about them.

Tony Perkis

See this is where I’m on the other side of the debate. My first real exposure to Star Trek was the new movies and I do quite enjoy them. However, that doesn’t mean I’m unaware of how fans of old Trek feel about them.
If you want to watch a great sci-fi show without having to get bogged down by all the lore and backstory, I cannot recommend Battlestar Galactica enough (the 2000’s remake series from Sci Fi).

Last edited:

jt04

Star Wars isn't classic sci-fi IMO. I hate the idea of Star Wars trying to be Battlesstar Galactica. Or Star Trek.

Although I could see Disney+ being more traditionally sci-fi for its SW content.

Mike S

Star Wars isn't classic sci-fi IMO. I hate the idea of Star Wars trying to be Battlesstar Galactica. Or Star Trek.

Although I could see Disney+ being more traditionally sci-fi for its SW content.
Well you’re not wrong. The main inspirations for Star Wars were westerns and samurai films I think with some fantasy thrown in. The technology is just part of the look.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well you’re not wrong. The main inspirations for Star Wars were westerns and samurai films I think with some fantasy thrown in. The technology is just part of the look.

I’d rather have sci-fi than no direction...which is where it’s at.

Rudderless.

That’s away bigger deal than the opening of “galaxys edge” and it’s one ride

jt04

I’d rather have sci-fi than no direction...which is where it’s at.

Rudderless.

That’s away bigger deal than the opening of “galaxys edge” and it’s one ride

The brief hiatus was for adding a proper rudder for the cinematic films. It was such a brief shutdown because what was needed was rather obvious. I'm expecting something more of the scope of LotR than something that feels like it was crafted week to week. The trilogies need a sense of historical depth in my opinion. Perfect counter programming to Marvel, D.C. and the comic book based genre.

Mike S

The brief hiatus was for adding a proper rudder for the cinematic films. It was such a brief shutdown because what was needed was rather obvious. I'm expecting something more of the scope of LotR than something that feels like it was crafted week to week. The trilogies need a sense of historical depth in my opinion. Perfect counter programming to Marvel, D.C. and the comic book based genre.
Hope it’s not as boring as LotR. I’m trying to watch the movies now since I had never watched them as an adult and Fellowship was sooooooooo boooooooring except for the obvious big moments. Haven’t moved on to Two Towers yet but I do remember falling asleep in the theater as a kid. Never saw Return of the King so that’ll be new.

Let the nerd community excommunicate me, I don’t care. Harry Potter is so much better.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hope it’s not as boring as LotR. I’m trying to watch the movies now since I had never watched them as an adult and Fellowship was sooooooooo boooooooring except for the obvious big moments. Haven’t moved on to Two Towers yet but I do remember falling asleep in the theater as a kid. Never saw Return of the King so that’ll be new.

Let the nerd community excommunicate me, I don’t care. Harry Potter is so much better.

Those are good movies...

If you need constant action...there’s transformers and fast and the furious for that

Mike S

Those are good movies...

If you need constant action...there’s transformers and fast and the furious for that
There’s obviously a good middle ground to be had between constant action and nothing happening. Never seen a single F&F movie and Transformers went downhill after the first one.

The first two Hobbit movies were more entertaining too imo even I still haven’t sat down to watch Battle of the Five Armies.

Darkprime

The one time we might be getting the old republic and these so called fans want to ruin that? I know GoT season 8 and maybe even season 7 have been a letdown for some but lets not forget that the first 4/5 seasons were pretty incredible tv lead by D&D.

erasure fan1

The one time we might be getting the old republic and these so called fans want to ruin that? I know GoT season 8 and maybe even season 7 have been a letdown for some but lets not forget that the first 4/5 seasons were pretty incredible tv lead by D&D.
Ending a series with the scope of GoT is not really an easy thing to do if you want to apiece everyone. Realistically, it's not possible at all. Look at endgame, there are plenty who just said meh, not that great. And that might be the best example ever for concluding a saga. Anyone remember how Seinfeld ended, or the Suprannos? I've personally enjoyed these last two seasons of GoT. So I'm not too worried about D&D, especially if it's the old republic.

Mike S

People argue those seasons were so good because they still had books to base them off. Once they were on their own is when things went down.

Darkprime

I’m going to laugh very heartily if GRRM ends the books in incredibly similar ways.

Ive had a theory that GRRM had two endings in mind to avoid this from happening. He gave D&D the less favourable of his endings to see how the audience would react and depending on the reactions would decide whether to use that or his other real ending for the books. GoT season 8 is no where near as bad as Colin Trevorrow's Book of Henry.

Darkprime

People argue those seasons were so good because they still had books to base them off. Once they were on their own is when things went down.

That doesn't invalidate their work on the first 4/5 seasons though. They still had to adapt that material and did an immaculate job. You could argue it was GRRM's fault for not finishing the books that the show's quality dropped. Its not D&D's fault they ran out of material. What were they supposed to do? Delay the show while Martin finished the books? wasn't gonna happen. The actors would have aged and been unrecognisable by the time the last 2 books came out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom