News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

The real rescueranger

No, not at all. There is nothing wrong with garish, gaudy, showy, ostentatious, crass and loud decorations. It is, after all, the predominate theme at the Pop and AoA resorts. Especially now that the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is out of business there is more of a need for these types of flashy and brassy displays.
You must be a lot of fun at parties. You know what they say about opinions... I happen to think they look great and will definitely try them.

Bender123

An oversized fiberglass character killed his brother!

I genuinely don't get the hate for these resorts...they aren't going to be Polynesian level of themes and they are designed to be value hotels. I guess they could have gone with "generic hotel" for the theme, but they knew the majority of the people staying in them would be families with small children, so its both "cheap" and fits the theming required for their target audience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I genuinely don't get the hate for these resorts...they aren't going to be Polynesian level of themes and they are designed to be value hotels. I guess they could have gone with "generic hotel" for the theme, but they knew the majority of the people staying in them would be families with small children, so its both "cheap" and fits the theming required for their target audience.

Actually, I don't get the love for the theming of most of the deluxe resorts. Grand Floridian's theme is... nice architectural elements? Same with Y&B and BoardWalk. Then the Swolphin gets slammed for "not having Disney theming," which is exactly the case with those deluxes. Now, I get how their amenities and rooms are nicer, but more "themed"? Is architectural trim really a "theme"? More Disney-themed? Not at all.

As for gondola theming, I don't know what those who don't like it expect: the gondola itself to be in the shape of Mickey? The monorails aren't Mickey-shaped. The wraps are rather festive, IMO.

ImperfectPixie

I don't get it either. My boys' favorite is the Toy Story section at ASM, and since we stayed there during their first trip, it will always hold a special place in my heart, regardless of whether some people think it's tacky looking. I'm hoping we'll stay in the Cars section at AoA our next trip, because that will blow them away. My personal favorites (so far) are POR and CBR...I just love the layout, ambiance, and grounds at both resorts (I was pretty bummed when Dixie Landings lost it's name though, as we honeymooned there). As much as I love the look of the GF, I honestly don't see us ever staying there because it's just too formal for our taste. Now that I think about it, we probably wouldn't stay at the Contemporary, either, because the rooms facing the middle of the resort the way they do feels too much like the rooms that are above the lobby at the Great Wolf Lodge closest to us (yes, I realize there's a huge difference between GWL and Disney resorts...this is just my opinion/feelings). We did love the Swolphin, but honestly, it's just so much easier to enjoy time at the resort when we stay in one that's actually on-property.

Patcheslee

No, not at all. There is nothing wrong with garish, gaudy, showy, ostentatious, crass and loud decorations. It is, after all, the predominate theme at the Pop and AoA resorts. Especially now that the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is out of business there is more of a need for these types of flashy and brassy displays.
Apparently there is a need considering how often I see Greatest Showman playing or CD on at home.

Bender123

As for gondola theming, I don't know what those who don't like it expect: the gondola itself to be in the shape of Mickey? The monorails aren't Mickey-shaped. The wraps are rather festive, IMO.

Which is hilarious as well, when considering the Monorail...It completely doesn't fit with the themes of the Poly and GF. Its just so strange that people selectively pick on theming of transport at certain locations and ignore how their horse of choice isn't really much better.

joelkfla

Is it my imagination, but, are those Gondola's running in British style, left side towards, right side the other direction? Were the others like this and I just didn't notice it? I know it was just a change of direction with the cable itself, just confused me.
It is running clockwise. Pop & DHS run counterclockwise. Liftblog said they can be designed to run in either direction.

Notice that the one uncovered cabin still has 2 windows in the front and 3 in the back, which is further evidence, along with the wrapper notes and the apparently segregated parking areas, that each line has it's own dedicated group of cabins.

I'm guessing it has to do with station design. By loading on the right at Epcot (as you approach the station), boarding and disembarking passengers don't have to cross paths getting to/from the park entrance /exit. Or maybe it somehow makes the paths for transferring at CBR less complicated.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

It is running clockwise. Pop & DHS run counterclockwise. Liftblog said they can be designed to run in either direction.

Notice that the one uncovered cabin still has 2 windows in the front and 3 in the back, which is further evidence, along with the wrapper notes and the apparently segregated parking areas, that each line has it's own dedicated group of cabins.

I'm guessing it has to do with station design. By loading on the right at Epcot (as you approach the station), boarding and disembarking passengers don't have to cross paths getting to/from the park entrance /exit. Or maybe it somehow makes the paths for transferring at CBR less complicated.
If the Gondola's have twin vents front and back, that should be no problem, if not I see a whole lot of confusion and mismatch Gondola's. The door still opens on the proper side and as long as the venting is good front or back, it should be fine. Thanks for your response. The moment I looked at them I thought... wait, that seems like the opposite side of everything else I have been watching. I will take your word for the 2 and 3 window situation. I really couldn't make it out.

NormC

View attachment 371923

Pretty sure it does. It might not have a stop/station in a theme park, but it defiantly enters a theme park (just like the EPCOT monorail I was referencing). As such I'm pretty sure all the Universal Marvel contract would apply to any gondolas on the EPCOT line. So no Captain America, Iron man, or avengers gondolas on this line, I believe the other two lines could have them though.
It doesn’t currently enter any onstage areas of the park but it looks like it will when the Rat is done.

gorillaball

If the Gondola's have twin vents front and back, that should be no problem, if not I see a whole lot of confusion and mismatch Gondola's. The door still opens on the proper side and as long as the venting is good front or back, it should be fine. Thanks for your response. The moment I looked at them I thought... wait, that seems like the opposite side of everything else I have been watching. I will take your word for the 2 and 3 window situation. I really couldn't make it out.
They don’t have twin vents front and back though. 2 in front and 3 in back.

Lensman

Sorry if this has been answered, but does anyone know if there will be a way to open the doors from the inside, in the event of an emergency?
I hope not, but that's just because I can't imagine that my situation will be improved by someone I've been forced to share the gondola with opening the doors while we're hanging 80 feet above the ground. Call me chicken, but I prefer to wait until the rescue platform pulls up to evacuate me. Or better yet, I prefer to wait until the the line just starts moving again and I can unload in the station.

But I'd be happy to hear why it might be better for me for me to pop open the doors by myself, but my imagination doesn't go far enough to imagine a situation where such a feature would be good. Just like I can't imagine a situation where it would bother me that the airplane emergency exits won't open at altitude.

Note: I think there must be some way of forcing the doors open, because we've seen the videos of people illegally base jumping out of high-traversal gondolas at ski resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom