Heat and humidity tips

John park hopper

Someone mentioned Gatorade because of the loss of electrolytes from sweating. I urge you to be very careful with sweet drinks, candy, soda pop etc. 9 times out of ten when people get sick to their stomach on the bus it's from consuming surgery snacks in the Florida heat. Also coffee will dehydrate you.
Agree 100% stay away from the Minute Maid frozen lemonade I made the mistake of eating 4 because it was so hot just made me thirstier and sick to my stomach way too much sugar. The wife kept saying drink water as usual she was right

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
When cruising the parks, I always try to walk under shaded areas, not in the middle of walkways.
I go in and out of stores from one point to the next.
I take a cold shower in the morning and another before bedtime (I really dislike that sticky feeling one gets after a hot and humid day!), it helps me sleep better so I wake up rested and ready for another fun day

mmnw

My tips are we use the cooling towels and any ole misting bottle. You only need one unless you want more. Just refill.

Having met the other tips of being physically fit, proper weight, only drinking plenty of water, not eating foods that aren’t good for me and still feeling the effects of the humidy my husband didn’t do park commando. Offered the kids chances to cool off more and last summer was very doable compared to other summers. Yes still did rope drops, walked to and from vs taking transportation, walked for miles each day, but allowed time in the schedule to cool down. That helps immensely.

mmnw

I have heard the tip of acclumating yourself by changing the temperature of your house. I feel like I do it naturally already, but might try it more.

Ricky Spanish

I've talked about drinking a lot, but seriously, DRINK. Drink before you leave your resort. Drink on the bus. Drink at breakfast. Drink at lunch. DRINK. You'll be sweating so much, you probably still won't have to pee (TMI, but I pee like once a day when I'm at Disney! I sweat it all out!)
I agree that staying hydrated in the Florida heat is super important, but I caution that you can drink too much water.
I did.
The day we were leaving, after a 10 night June trip a few years ago, I woke up sick and super dizzy.
Called my mother-in-law, who is an ER nurse, and she said, " you washed out all your iums - sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc."
Started drinking Gatorade and felt better, but it took 10 days to get my head straight.
Now when we visit in the summer I bring 3 cases of Powerade and two cases of water.
No soda (I don't drink that much anyway) and no alcohol (ditto)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I agree that staying hydrated in the Florida heat is super important, but I caution that you can drink too much water.
I did.
The day we were leaving, after a 10 night June trip a few years ago, I woke up sick and super dizzy.
Called my mother-in-law, who is an ER nurse, and she said, " you washed out all your iums - sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc."
Started drinking Gatorade and felt better, but it took 10 days to get my head straight.
Now when we visit in the summer I bring 3 cases of Powerade and two cases of water.
No soda (I don't drink that much anyway) and no alcohol (ditto)
Seems like these single-bottle packets are just what the walker ordered...

ETA: Based on the price breakdown, you'd be WAY better off buying the 51 ounce tub of powder and breaking it out into .10 ounce packets yourself. You can buy little baggies and load 'em up before your trip.

Just be prepared to answer "what's in the little bags" questions at TSA and bag check... ;)

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Not sure if someone mentioned this but my tip is to actually take breaks and get out of the heat.

We generally go in late August and early September when it is nuclear, surface of the sun hot. No matter what park we are in, we stop and "chill" for a while. lol, there are attractions that are absolutely made for this. Hall of Presidents, always air conditioned. America pavilion etc. some times simply sitting for a few minutes in a/c can really rejuvenate you.

Of course we get to the parks early and then go back to the resort during high heat and go swimming.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We do it by living in the South. Our homes are South of Atlanta and West of Fort Worth, so we're acclimatized to temperatures and humidity that exceed the rather mild environment of Orlando.

CLEtoWDW

A new tip that I’m going to try this year: the night before take some wet wash cloths and put them in the freezer. Before going to the parks take then out and put them in a freezer bag to keep them cold. Obviously you would have to carry them around throughout the day but it may be worth it.

NickMaio

Wrong! The out of shape people will just rent out the scooters thus conserving energy
Some people rent scooters because their knees or feet can't handle all the walking. My mother usually rents a scooter for the afternoon. In a previous post I mentioned that in some days we can walk 30 kilometers a day. That is a lot for her 69 year old joints.

Disstevefan1

Many have noted these too but Here's mine:
1. Light colored clothing use light gray or white. Stay away from black and dark colors
2. Like every one says, personal mister fans. Get them ahead of time at Wall Mart
3. DO ROPE DROP! then go back to resort at mid day when its hot then go back to the parks later in the day. Aside from being cooler, its the BEST time to go to the parks.
4. Obvious one, get into AC throughout the day whenever you can to cool off. We like to make our way up and down Main St by walking thru the stores to avoid the heat
5. Like many said, we like the cooling towels, they even have Disney themed ones online.
6. This one is not heat related but is my #1 tip. Your footwear. Its function over fashion here! Forget what they look like, use your most comfortable, broken in, footwear.

eliza61nyc

Camel pack on your back with icy gatorade - or water.
Keep you cool and you have liquids all day. We have been using them for years now - - can't go without it.

A camel pack is a light backpack that has a liquid filled bladder and a hose that you drink from.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=camel+pack+water+backpack&crid=3769JUS4MEVZX&sprefix=camel+pack,aps,167&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10

Seriously - - I do not know why more people don't use them. We never have a problem at security.

I just didn't like mine Nick, we did get one for each person one year, I hated having them on my back but I'm not a "backpack" person . My husband and older son did use theirs for a couple of trips.

yaksplat

Bring some of those spray bottles with fans. They’re super helpful, but Disney charges a ton for the ones there.

I hate to break it to you, but in the FL humidity, those don't work. Evaporation is what cools you off. If the water and/or your sweat isn't evaporating readily, the addition of extra water won't help. There will be an instantaneous cooling from the ice in the water, but that's really it. After that you're just hot and wet.

I've done a lot of work with evaporative heat transfer, so this is scientific, not just an opinion.

OneofThree

I hate to break it to you, but in the FL humidity, those don't work. Evaporation is what cools you off. If the water and/or your sweat isn't evaporating readily, the addition of extra water won't help. There will be an instantaneous cooling from the ice in the water, but that's really it. After that you're just hot and wet.

I've done a lot of work with evaporative heat transfer, so this is scientific, not just an opinion.

. . . completely useless with dew points often approaching 75 degrees or more. Unless of course, you're a shareholder benefiting from the in-park sale of those trinkets.

ninjaprincesst

Someone mentioned Gatorade because of the loss of electrolytes from sweating. I urge you to be very careful with sweet drinks, candy, soda pop etc. 9 times out of ten when people get sick to their stomach on the bus it's from consuming surgery snacks in the Florida heat. Also coffee will dehydrate you.
That all depends on the person, water makes me sick to my stomach, so you have to find what works for you, I can say that more than once a dole whip has been a lifesaver because it cooled us down when trying to drink water made us sick. Eat and drink what works for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom