PotC mist screen removed/turned off for good

Bocabear

The problem I would have with a Blue Bayou scene is they have not gotten it right since the one in Disneyland... DLP has a Blue Lagoon restaurant, and Shanghai Disneyland has Barbossa's Bounty which also has a dining room that the ride sails through. Neither of these can match the style and sense-of-place that the Disneyland original did... IN DLP there are WAY too many lights in an amber hue...completely blasting out the night time environment which makes it more like eating in a dark warehouse with orange lights. The same problem with Barbossa's Bounty...Too much light and never quite creates that illusion of space... even the Mexico Pavilion does a better job.

peter11435

Scroll up to some of my earlier posts.
I’ve seen them. But I don’t see how anything you’ve said explains how anything in WDW’s pirates is comparable to the bayou let alone everything else missing from the Florida version. The Disneyland version of the attraction is practically twice as long and packed with details and storytelling. Nothing in Florida replaces that lost content.

N2dru

I’ve seen them. But I don’t see how anything you’ve said explains how anything in WDW’s pirates is comparable to the bayou let alone everything else missing from the Florida version. The Disneyland version of the attraction is practically twice as long and packed with details and storytelling. Nothing in Florida replaces that lost content.
Ok...the bayou scene at DL sets the mood that leads to the 2 drops into the caverns explaining the fate of the pirates. At WDW the 2 drops weren't possible eliminating the long caverns scene so the exterior of the attraction and queue are used to setup the story. The exterior/queue/Pirates Bay is comparable to the bayou/caverns scene in the original because they all serve as the introduction. All I'm pointing out is WDW has a more realistic linear outline (the dungeon and arsenal queue, skeletons playing chess, hearing the pirates planning to attack, hearing the cannons, seeing the ship in the harbor and actually being in the Caribbean town that's being attacked are details often overlooked) when compared to DL's all over the place nature where an inland bayou somehow connects to the oceanside underground pirates lairs and then on to a Caribbean island, even if magically. Lets all agree POTC is a great attraction overall and even the shortened WDW version is better than no pirates at all.

Last edited:

Missing20K

Actually there is some influence so your clapback failed.
The influence being both Blue Bayou and the facade and queue "are used to set up the story" (your words) and as a "prelude of what's to come" (your words again) which can be said about all facades and queues of well-themed attractions.

Having the same programmatic or narrative purpose is not the same as one being influenced by the other.

N2dru

The influence being both Blue Bayou and the facade and queue "are used to set up the story" (your words) and as a "prelude of what's to come" (your words again) which can be said about all facades and queues of well-themed attractions.

Having the same programmatic or narrative purpose is not the same as one being influenced by the other.
Again your clapback failed, have several seats. I've stated my peace in the above post, so have a nice afternoon😉

peter11435

Ok...the bayou scene at DL sets the mood that leads to the 2 drops into the caverns explaining the fate of the pirates. At WDW the 2 drops weren't possible eliminating the long caverns scene so the exterior of the attraction and queue are used to setup the story. The exterior/queue/Pirates Bay is comparable to the bayou/caverns scene in the original because they all serve as the introduction. All I'm pointing out is WDW has a more realistic linear outline (the dungeon and arsenal queue, hearing the pirates planning to attack and actually being in the Caribbean town that's being attacked) when compared to DL's all over the place nature where an inland bayou somehow connects to the oceanside underground pirates lairs and then on to a Caribbean island, even if magically. Lets all agree POTC is a great attraction overall and even the shortened WDW version is better than no pirates at all.
I won’t argue that the facade and queue at Walt Disney World set a mood for the upcoming attraction. However, the same can be said for any attraction including Disneyland’s Pirates of the Caribbean. So the Florida version is still missing that very large piece to the experience in addition to much much more. The lack of the bayou is only one part of what makes the Florida version inferior. There literally twice as much ride at Disneyland and it’s all packed with detail and quality story telling.

Two drops were not impossible at Walt Disney World. They could have built an exact clone if they had wanted to. Choices were made. Whether they were influenced by time, budget, design or some combination is debatable. But the end result is an inferior product.

Disneyland’s is not all over the place. It’s actually more consistent in its use of time to tell the story.

N2dru

I won’t argue that the facade and queue at Walt Disney World set a mood for the upcoming attraction. However, the same can be said for any attraction including Disneyland’s Pirates of the Caribbean. So the Florida version is still missing that very large piece to the experience in addition to much much more. The lack of the bayou is only one part of what makes the Florida version inferior. There literally twice as much ride at Disneyland and it’s all packed with detail and quality story telling.

Two drops were not impossible at Walt Disney World. They could have built an exact clone if they had wanted to. Choices were made. Whether they were influenced by time, budget, design or some combination is debatable. But the end result is an inferior product.

Disneyland’s is not all over the place. It’s actually more consistent in its use of time to tell the story.

Apparently you aren't familiar with Florida's HIGH water table. Dig too deep and you hit water. Two drops are not possible at WDW. If you weren't aware the MK has the underground tunnel system which was built at ground level because of that reason.

peter11435

Apparently you aren't familiar with Florida's HIGH water table. Dig too deep and you hit water. Two drops was not possible at WDW. If you weren't aware the MK has the underground tunnel system which was built at ground level because of that reason.
I’ve lived in Florida my entire life. I’m well aware of the regions geology and the construction of the utilidors. That said two drops were not impossible at WDW. There are several ways it could have been done if desired. I never said it needed to go under ground.

You realize right next door there is an attraction with 4 drops right?

Also, the second drop isn’t even necessary to make Florida’s version on par. It’s not what’s holding it back.

N2dru

I’ve lived in Florida my entire life. I’m well aware of the regions geology and the construction of the utilidors. That said two drops were not impossible at WDW. There are several ways it could have been done if desired. I never said it needed to go under ground.

You realize right next door there is an attraction with 4 drops right?

Also, the second drop isn’t even necessary to make Florida’s version on par. It’s not what’s holding it back.
I hope you aren't referencing nearby Splash Mountain as the attraction with 4 drops. Because last time I checked Pirates wasn't 87ft high to begin with. But I digress. As stated earlier we can all agree Pirates is a great attraction and even a shortened (and "inferior version", your words) is better then no pirates at all.

Last edited:

Bocabear

But there is no reason that Pirates in WDW couldn't have been built up...to add another drop, Built larger to include ALL the show scenes and have the Blue Bayou or Blue Lagoon restaurant ... Pirates was rushed in order to fill a desperate need for more attractions after the Magic Kingdom opened... I think in general the WDW version is known to be the Cliff Notes version.

peter11435

I hope you aren't referencing nearby Splash Mountain as the attraction with 4 drops. Because last time I checked Pirates wasn't 87ft high to begin with. But I digress. As stated earlier we can all agree Pirates is a great attraction and even a shortened (and "inferior version", your words) is better then no pirates at all.
Yes I’m referencing Splash. The point is that they could build anything they wanted. A second drop is nowhere near impossible. There are many ways it could have been accomplished without needing to go underground. And that’s irrelevant because the lack of a second drop isn’t what makes it inferior.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But there is no reason that Pirates in WDW couldn't have been built up...to add another drop, Built larger to include ALL the show scenes and have the Blue Bayou or Blue Lagoon restaurant ... Pirates was rushed in order to fill a desperate need for more attractions after the Magic Kingdom opened... I think in general the WDW version is known to be the Cliff Notes version.
This. This this this. Plus public demand.

Paris also has a high water table. So what did they do?

N2dru

This. This this this. Plus public demand.

Paris also has a high water table. So what did they do?
Edit
Built up...that's why at the beginning you go up a ramp after the lagoon/shipwreck scene then splash down into the fort attack scene and after all the town scenes you go down to the caverns. Which is on the level you boarded. WDW's Adventureland is already higher then the surrounding area so the drop is shorter to the main show building. The MK as a whole is already one story above the surrounding areas.

Last edited:

peter11435

Built up...that's why at the beginning you go up a ramp then splash down into the fort attack scene and after all the town scenes you go down to the caverns. So technically you only go below ground level once. Similar to WDW's single below ground level drop.
Exactly. They could have built up further at WDW making two drops very possible.

WDW’s single drop is not below ground level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom