Studios entertainment cut over the last few years.

orlandogal22

Hey bUU, you’re arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

I recommend ignoring the rebuttals from bUU. I'm 99% sure this is the same person that continually wants to pick a fight, is snarky, does quote-by-quote rebuttals, and is always in such stark contrast to much of the primarily friendly banter under DIS Unplugged daily articles that I've been following for a couple years. So much so that after I called this person out yesterday for being one and the same, I briefly hovered over their member name and it said they were last seen - managing account details. LOL

Hey, free country and all but I'd just ignore those kinds of commenters, IMHO.

orlandogal22

-mulch sweat and shears live band

I agree re: Mulch. I loved catching them at the park. CC (tall thin bass player and lead vocals) was in the that band and also previously played in Blue Stone Circle at the Beach Club at PI back in the day … which Blue Stone Circle used to be called Panama. BSC was pretty awesome. I used to take guitar lessons from one of them (Jeremy Hagen) at old Mars Music on Colonial. Really talented guys.

wannabeBelle

I agree re: Mulch. I loved catching them at the park. CC (tall thin bass player and lead vocals) was in the that band and also previously played in Blue Stone Circle at the Beach Club at PI back in the day … which Blue Stone Circle used to be called Panama. BSC was pretty awesome. I used to take guitar lessons from one of them (Jeremy Hagen) at old Mars Music on Colonial. Really talented guys.
I only heard about Panama not so very long ago. God I wish I had stopped into the Rock & Roll Beach Club back then!!! The line was always so long to get in and now I have figured out why!!! You should definitely check out Audio Exchange for sure. Jeremy is the lead guitarist for that band and CC is on bass and vocals. They play around the Orlando area a bit and are staples at the Tin Roof, Margaritaville, The main stage at the Lagoon in Universal, etc. Definitely a great time!!! Marie

orlandogal22

God I wish I had stopped into the Rock & Roll Beach Club back then!!!

It was a good time for sure. I think I was down there almost every night LOL (I was a CM back then in the late 90s). Panama then changed to BSC and was the same group of guys, only David's (tall muscle guy) brother was in Panama and left with the transition to BSC. Then CC left and Jason Woods joined (bass, guitar, vocals) and some other guy named David (short, sang more hardcore songs like Nine Inch Nails once it hit 1 a.m. and you wondered if you are Disney anymore. haha!) Yeah, I was down there a lot to know this. ;) Jeremy left when they went to Margaritaville and sometimes would talk about the dynamics of the group during my guitar lessons. Jason also taught at Mars at the time and my friend took lessons from Jason. Good group of guys (though Mike, the fiddle player never seemed too friendly LOL).

Anyways, had no idea Jeremy and CC got back together and all that recent news...thanks for the info!

Castle Cake Apologist

Let's test the mob factor for that: Specifically what "Disney news" did I question in my comment to Marni?

I'll remind you, what we were discussing at that point was the fact that evaluating something in transition is pointless and that legitimate evaluations of something must take into consideration changing conditions - nothing even remotely specific to Disney.

No. What was being discussed at that point was the cuts to live entertainment. You came in and tried to shut down the conversation, essentially stating that the park is in transition, so we shouldn't question the cuts to live entertainment. Martin told you the actual reason that there were cuts to live entertainment. You told him he couldn't know that, which is hogwash. You don't know anybody on this forum or what they do or how they're connected to the company.

You were discussing the transitional nature of the park, but nobody else was. You can't retcon forum posts, sorry.

It's pretty rich that you feel entitled to accuse others of not reading or not understanding what they are reading; considering I don't think I've ever seen somebody move the goal posts soooooo far............

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

It was a good time for sure. I think I was down there almost every night LOL (I was a CM back then in the late 90s). Panama then changed to BSC and was the same group of guys, only David's (tall muscle guy) brother was in Panama and left with the transition to BSC. Then CC left and Jason Woods joined (bass, guitar, vocals) and some other guy named David (short, sang more hardcore songs like Nine Inch Nails once it hit 1 a.m. and you wondered if you are Disney anymore. haha!) Yeah, I was down there a lot to know this. ;) Jeremy left when they went to Margaritaville and sometimes would talk about the dynamics of the group during my guitar lessons. Jason also taught at Mars at the time and my friend took lessons from Jason. Good group of guys (though Mike, the fiddle player never seemed too friendly LOL).

Anyways, had no idea Jeremy and CC got back together and all that recent news...thanks for the info!
You are very welcome and I hope to meet up with you at one of their gigs. I am in NYC so I am definitely not around much, but do make it a point to try to catch them anytime they are playing out when I am around. I know Jason as well as he was playing with Jason Thomas in Alberta Bound also along with CC ( Jason and CC shared the Bass role for that group) in the Canadian Pavilion in EPCOT. I don't know Jeremy well at all but he has always been very sweet to me when we have spoken to the band. I was at Margaritaville one night with a couple of the girls and the band was taking requests so I asked for Talk Dirty To Me by Poison. I thought CC would sing that one but nope it was Jeremy!! He was awesome considering I think they just kind of threw this one together on the spot. Very fun! Marie

orlandogal22

I know Jason as well as he was playing with Jason Thomas in Alberta Bound also along with CC ( Jason and CC shared the Bass role for that group) in the Canadian Pavilion in EPCOT. I don't know Jeremy well at all but he has always been very sweet to me when we have spoken to the band. I was at Margaritaville one night with a couple of the girls and the band was taking requests so I asked for Talk Dirty To Me by Poison. I thought CC would sing that one but nope it was Jeremy!!

You're right! I do remember seeing Jason and CC there. BF and I were walking by, and was caught off guard seeing them there too. Funny re: Jeremy. I just went in March to see Bret Michaels at SeaWorld's Seven Seas Food Festival and he sang TDTM. I bet he'd get a kick out of Jeremy's version. Bret's a cool guy too - very down to earth, very humble; one of the good guys. Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane! :)

bcoachable

Studios Entertainment used to be fun. Now they’ve chipped, cut and sawed it down to something that’s not even recognizable. Parade, F area meet and greets to name a few. It will never be what it was. Variety. What’s that?

I’m not bitter. Only staying fact.
Bitter was not a choice...
Your only angry or arrogant....
choose wisely
:)

bUU

You came in and tried to shut down the conversation, essentially stating that the park is in transition, so we shouldn't question the cuts to live entertainment.
What I said is that it is pointless to appraise a park in transition with practically a third of the park still closed. Some people, perhaps including yourself, didn't like your opinion being marginalized by logic in that way. You can't retcon forum posts, sorry.

Kman101

The “park in transition” thing is nonsense, a red herring. Yes, MGM has been undergoing significant construction for years now. But logically you don’t cut entertainment when you lose attractions and their attached capacity, you add entertainment in order to give guests something to do and attempt to distract them from the unfinished nature of the park. What’s more, MGMs entertainment as a whole certainly isn’t “in transition” as part of this project - even after SWL opens the park will still be relying on a series of creaky shows that debuted prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall. This amorphous notion of “in transition” is akin to the mythical “next phase” WDW fans always talk of when a lackluster, cost-cut land opens - a dodge to avoid discussing or even thinking about a disappointing aspect of the park.

The notion of “changing guest preferences” is also usually a disingenuous dodge relying on a notion of WDW as omniscient and unbiased. There is no larger cultural shift that suggests guests don’t want entertainment. Certainly Uni, which is beefing up its still underwhelming slate of parades and shows, doesn’t see increasing guest hostility to entertainment. I don’t know that WDW has even blamed “guest preferences” for the cuts, but If they have its meaningless. Disney can get any results they want from surveys, and claims of “guest preference” are almost always a smokescreen for execs with irrational biases, other priorities, or, most often, a desire to cut costs.

Oh, and I don’t know if you’re unfamiliar with these boards, but Marni is perhaps the most trustworthy source for Disney news around, much more so then Disney’s own press releases or most media coverage. If he says entertainment is being cut due to costs, it almost certainly is.

So... entertainment at all Disney parks is getting much worse. This is almost entirely due to Disney’s increasing concern for the budget and decreasing concern for guest satisfaction.

PS: I love that you mention a cultural shift away from live entertainment to other media as accounting for Disney’s cuts, pointing to a phenomenon that has been defining pop culture since the advent of radio in the 1920s. It’s about time WDW took that into account. Pretty soon Disney may want to think about investing in film and television.

Love this.

I couldn't think of the right reply to the defender, so thank you.

People need to take their blinders off. That doesn't mean negatively hating everything. It just means being aware of how they operate.

Kman101

What I said is that it is pointless to appraise a park in transition with practically a third of the park still closed. Some people, perhaps including yourself, didn't like your opinion being marginalized by logic in that way. You can't retcon forum posts, sorry.

It's pointless FOR YOU. If so, then you didn't need to reply to the thread. If you don't care and think it's pointless, why waste your time?

The fact is budget cuts HAVE happened. Cuts HAVE happened. That's a *fact* and not an opinion.

It must be nice to live in a magical world where everything is wonderful and you don't see what really goes on. They don't plan or execute things like some of you think. Not everything is master planned. Not everything "makes sense" (transition period? lol. That's not why they cut entertainment so try again). They DO fly by the seat of their pants. Stop living in a fantasy world. I know all this and it doesn't mean I hate the company or the parks ;) I don't get blindly defending everything they do. I just don't (and yes I do also think some folks hate everything they do on principal and that gets tiresome too). It's usually never as cut and dry as "they're in a transitional phase" and spare me the "society trends" thing.

Until the last few years when they finally realized they had to build (and they still operate the same way of replacements not additions, they STILL budget cut ...) there was a period of stagnation.

Instead of defending them, ask yourself why are we paying more for less? (maybe not true in a few years but it HAS been true)

bUU

It's pointless FOR YOU.
My point was that it was pointless for guests to appraise the park in that manner until after SWGE is fully open. And when that happens, the way most reasonable guests will appraise the park will be by appraising how much they enjoy their visit, not by inanely counting how many live actors there are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom