News Tomorrowland love

GlacierGlacier

How much do you all think the purple wall phenomenon contributed to this new color scheme?
Not much. The purple wall is a thing. The transition from the purple to the white is a really cool looking design, and it's only natural that folks would want to use it as a background for photos.

The majority of these colors and patterns are not in areas guests can typically use as backdrops...

RaveOnEd

Yes me too. It is definitely better in person. Tried to capture that in some of the wide angle shots.
I like it! To me, it really makes the area seem so much more spacious as opposed to how the steampunk styling made it a little more claustrophobic (and I love steampunk!)

Plus, it will make the white and multi-color accents of Tron fit right in!

PREMiERdrum

My Stagecraft professor (I have a Bachelors of Stagecraft and Theatrical Design - Capital University '06) described this as "planar disruption"* style. Using bisections of color that deviate from the structural planes surrounding them, you can evoke feelings of futurism, visual interest, and targeted sight. The color choice is very much in the back third of Googie's heyday and I think it works well here.

Lots of cleanup left to do, but I can see how these colors and patterns could be complimentary of the visual effects of TRON.

*This is about as opposite as possible from what the awful Project Kaleidoscope did to Communicore, where they strengthened existing planes and divisions to create a feeling of clunky brutalism that did nothing to direct your eye to anything except the color borders themselves. Points for the team who is handling this: Getting the scale of this right in such a tightly controlled visual story isn't easy.

Last edited:

Purduevian

WDW Roller coasters can probably be broken into Tiers on intensity:
Tier 1, fun for the little ones: Barnstormer, Seven Dwarfs
Tier 2, fun for the family: Thunder Mountain, Primeval whirl (if its fun for anyone), Slinky Dog Dash, Space kinda floats between here and the next
Tier 3: Thrilling, not for Grandma or little Timmy: Everest, Tron, Guardians, Rock n Rollercoaster (wow 1 per park... almost planned out)

KikoKea

The new sherbet and cotton candy colors are more of what I'd expect in Fantasyland or Toon town, not TL. But, guess we'll have to wait and see if it comes together and works in a Grand Plan. (Hopefully not Sugar Rush in Sugar Mt and King Candy Raceway:D:jawdrop:)

999th Happy Haunt

The new sherbet and cotton candy colors are more of what I'd expect in Fantasyland or Toon town, not TL. But, guess we'll have to wait and see if it comes together and works in a Grand Plan. (Hopefully not Sugar Rush in Sugar Mt and King Candy Raceway:D:jawdrop:)
Most of these color changes are by the area that connects Tomorrowland to Fantasyland, the transition there before was never really natural so maybe this is a way of fixing that?

KikoKea

Most of these color changes are by the area that connects Tomorrowland to Fantasyland, the transition there before was never really natural so maybe this is a way of fixing that?
Maybe, but it seems to be intended for TL. I don't recall that paint scheme in FL, but I could very well be mistaken.

tirian

My Stagecraft professor (I have a Bachelors of Stagecraft and Theatrical Design - Capital University '06) described this as "planar disruption"* style. Using bisections of color that deviate from the structural planes surrounding them, you can evoke feelings of futurism, visual interest, and targeted sight. The color choice is very much in the back third of Googie's heyday and I think it works well here.

Lots of cleanup left to do, but I can see how these colors and patterns could be complimentary of the visual effects of TRON.

*This is about as opposite as possible from what the awful Project Kaleidoscope did to Communicore, where they strengthened existing planes and divisions to create a feeling of clunky brutalism that did nothing to direct your eye to anything except the color borders themselves. Points for the team who is handling this: Getting the scale of this right in such a tightly controlled visual story isn't easy.
I’m still shocked that a company as well respected and allegedly talented as Disney allowed that awful, clunky, 60s-era sofa pattern into Innoventions.

But TL is looking great! :D

BryanM

What's the latest on a "real" refurbishment for the Speedway (i.e. "Tron Racers" or similar)? I know that's been mentioned by our insiders before, but I agree with you. We're quickly running out of time for any kind of major overhaul, especially for an attraction that has just reopened from a major construction project.

I agree. The track looks great from the previously posted photos. Can we expect any changes to the cars as this is about to reopen? My guess is no, but it's been awhile since I've read anything in regards to the Speedway's refurbishment.

Bocabear

They really needed to not rush it back into service and take the time and develop an amazing speedway, or just replace it with something else... Build a speedway attached to Test Track where it would make sense...Put something futuristic and fun in it's place...It doesn't have to be tron themed, but could visually be a marriage point between the styling of Tron and the existing Tomorrowland...

Kman101

Well having ridden bother Slinky and Tron, I can assure you one is much more intense than the other.

I'd hope TRON is more intense than Slinky ;) but it's not like Slinky moves at a glacial pace around the track ... that thing zips pretty quickly. It's thrilling without being too intense. I have to admit it pleasantly surprises me each time I ride it (the, maybe three times I've gotten to ...)

trainplane3

Apparently the entrance fins have been primed white:

...sigh...I have a odd feeling the metal crap on the TTA is going to be staying...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom