Anyone else actually like DCA?

Rich T

...it is not Neil's fault but the World of Color 60 Show he was in ruined his image for me in the parks.
Having a celebrity appear visually as himself in a park show like that instantly degrades the whole experience, and makes it feel like you're watching a Disney promo on television. I really hope Disney never tries something like that again. I don't mind Julie Andrews's voice in a fireworks show, but that's as far as celebrity hosting should go.

aliceismad

Having a celebrity appear visually as himself in a park show like that instantly degrades the whole experience, and makes it feel like you're watching a Disney promo on television. I really hope Disney never tries something like that again. I don't mind Julie Andrews's voice in a fireworks show, but that's as far as celebrity hosting should go.
Really? Interesting. It never bothered me a bit.

Phroobar

I've got no objection to NPH working with Disney; it's just that having a live action celebrity hosting a park show makes the experience feel (for me) less worth-paying-a-hundred-bucks-for and more television-like. It's a HUGE television, granted. :D
Wasn't most of DCA rides hosted in some way by a C or D list celebrity?
Bakery Tour - Rosie O'Donald
Super Star Limo / California show - Woopie Goldberg
Walt Disney story in Animation building - Robin Williams
Soarin' over california - Patrick Warburton
Winery movie - Jermey Irons

Phroobar

You could also include all the celebrities doing voice overs for Space Ship Earth, Mission: Space, Dinosaur, Ellen's Energy Adventure, etc.

SSG

Disneyland is your child that gets straight As and is the sports star.
DCA is your other child that gets Cs and Ds and can't throw a football farther than five feet.
However you still love them both.
Nah, they are more like sisters. While DCA is fairly attractive and moderately intelligent she is outshone by Disneyland who is a Rhodes scholar and paid for college by working as a supermodel.

Rich T

Celebrity narration on rides: No problem, if the voice is appropriate. And comic, perfectly-chosen safety spiels are gold: Patrick Warburton as an airline spokesman is spot-on perfect. Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite made an educational film comic gold. And celebs in things like Bakery Tour or the Winery.... certainly can't hurt those "attractions".

For me, it just doesn't work with a big production like World of Color. It's like how the celebrity hosts in Fantasia 2000 really drag that movie down and make it seem like it's not really a feature film at all.

Stevek

Is it an unfair comparison? The two are 100 feet apart, and cost the exact same for admission.

Even if we look at Disneyland 15 years after it opened, vs DCA 15 years.... Disneyland was way ahead.
And I would never compare a 15 year old Disneyland that was largely overseen directly by Walt to a 15 year old DCA that, well, was created by the exact opposite of Walt. My point was, it's very difficult to compare a nearly 65 year old park, arguably the most iconic park in the world, to DCA. And I'm no defender of DCA...of all the US parks, I'd rank it #5 out of 6. It's nowhere near the value that Disneyland is for the price you pay for entry.

EPCOTCenterLover

Kramerica

I think I'm in the minority that I love DCA. Hated it pre overhaul, but think it's fantastic now. I'd prefer it over Animal Kingdom or Hollywood studios, or even Epcot in their current state. Cars land is undeniably great. I'm REALLY in the minority with loving the Paradise/ Pixar Pier. I think it's beautiful at night and has a simple charm to it. Buena Vista is done super well, even though it's smaller in scale. Even Grizzly Peak does a good job of reminding me of home in the Pacific Northwest with it's greenery. The only thing I really don't like about DCA is the Hollywood backlot section, which doesn't seem like it's long for the world anyway.

Everyone point and laugh at me I guess. But I seriously love DCA

JustAFan

My family and I enjoyed DCA. Cars land is really good, especially at night. Radiator Springs Raceway is a very good Disney ride. There are more things to do at other parks, but it's still a fun time.

QuasiNoFroyo

Why would you miss Superstar Limo?

Anywho, I do like DCA. I happen to enjoy most of its rides (especially Radiator Springs Racers, Mission: Breakout, Soarin', Incredicoaster, and Grizzly River Run), but I think the overall product is so thematically inconsistent that it actually somewhat uglifies the park. Because of the park's thematic inconsistencies, I think it would be best for Disney to try and come up with a good new name for the park (if they could even think of one), since "California" isn't the most convincing way to justify the park's visual lack of cohesion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom