Flight of Passage

Disney.Mike

Original Poster
I have a 6 year old that is prone to motion sickness and gets nervous on rides where she is exposed to open heights. For example: shes fine on TOT and EE because shes enclosed, but she got terrified on Soaring because of how her feet are dangling.

That said, how is FOP with heights, is it exposed like Soaring? Can you look down and see you're never more than a couple feet off the ground?

Motion-wise she does fine on Soaring and Star Tours but the Simpsons ride at Universal did her (and me) in. How rough if FOP on that aspect.

mariedarling

FoP you are riding on "banshee" your feet do not dangle and you are holding handle bars like bike (think motorcycle video game). There is a seat outside the ride - have her sit in it (note: there is a back piece that secures you from behind) the ground moves and tips.

i do not like 3D anything and this ride is doable for me - i love it. If she winds up not liking she can close her eyes and not look at the screen. Movement is very minimal and smooth.

I hate Star Tours and think FoP is amazing. Hope that helps!

DisneyJill

star tours is the one ride at WDW i won't ride. i don't get motion sick easily and that one does me in every time. FOP is very smooth. there are a couple of times your banshee dives and you fly down, but as mentioned above, your banshee isn't really moving, so if it bothers your daughter, she can simply shut her eyes and won't feel much.

JillC LI

I agree with @mariedarling. You are sitting on your banshee the whole time. While the sensation of movement on FOP is much more intense than on Soarin', all you have to do is look away from the screen and down at your lap to see that you haven't moved other than the swaying of your banshee and to avoid any nauseating sensation.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I have a 6 year old that is prone to motion sickness and gets nervous on rides where she is exposed to open heights. For example: shes fine on TOT and EE because shes enclosed, but she got terrified on Soaring because of how her feet are dangling.

That said, how is FOP with heights, is it exposed like Soaring? Can you look down and see you're never more than a couple feet off the ground?

Motion-wise she does fine on Soaring and Star Tours but the Simpsons ride at Universal did her (and me) in. How rough if FOP on that aspect.
I would say she should skip it. It simulates the feeling of height very effectively. It is a much more elaborate version of Soarin'

Disney.Mike

Original Poster
I would say she should skip it. It simulates the feeling of height very effectively. It is a much more elaborate version of Soarin'

If she can look down and see the floor she'll be fine. Its the "feet dangling" aspect of Soaring that gets her. Like I said EE and TOT give her no issues because your closed in

JustAFan

The banshee does move some, but it doesn't actually fly around. It sways a bit while staying on the ground. If the actual physical feeling of having feet dangling is the issue, Flight of Passage doesn't do that. However, it is an immersive experience if you keep your eyes on the screen. I could see how someone with motion sickness would have a problem with it. I would think a simple solution would be look to the side if you feel sick. Get a 6 yr old to remember that though.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If she can look down and see the floor she'll be fine. Its the "feet dangling" aspect of Soaring that gets her. Like I said EE and TOT give her no issues because your closed in
FoP has that dangling in the air feeling (even though you are really not). It simulates the feeling of flying on a bird VERT well. Maybe you could ride it before her and see what you think?

LeighM

I would skip it this trip because once the ride starts there is no getting off. There are three stories to this ride and if you get the highest row you can easily see how high you are and even being strapped onto the motorcycle ride doesn't give much comfort if you're afraid of the heights. The robotic arms drop the ride vehicle only about 3 feet down during the drops but because the ride effects and screen are so immersive, it definitely feels like you're dropping further than what you are. My husband and I experience motion sickness the first time we rode it. The second time the husband did, he took Bonine ahead of time and requested the lowest level.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
Like others have said, the flying affect is very well done. First time I rode it I felt like I was actually flying. It does simulate heights very well but she can look at the floor if she gets scared.

As far as motion sickness, I get it pretty bad. I can't ride ToT but Star Tours I will ride and only get slightly motion sickness. FoP, I dont get any motion sickness at all. This is after taking Dramamine as well. I know there is a Dramamine for Kids as well.

DisAl

While FOP is a much more realistic flight simulator than Star Tours it is not nearly as rough. There are three levels of ride vehicles with three groups of sixteen vehicles on each level.
Each group of sixteen is in a separate "room". The vehicles are mounted on a platform which can move up or down about three or four feet which gives you the sensation (along with the very realistic projection on the screen) of diving or climbing. Each vehicle moves left or right (less than I foot I think) which gives the sensation of turning and banking along with the rise or fall of the platform. Once the back restraint comes up you are well secured and don't move around on the vehicle itself at all. It is a little weird feeling the thing "breath" though.
My wife usually doesn't care for motion simulator rides either but she rode FOP with me TWICE.
If your daughter gets uneasy on the ride I don't suggest closing her eyes, just tell her to LOOK AT YOU. She will see she is really moving a short distance in any direction and she should feel really secure on the ride vehicle. You can't fall off and you don't have the feeling you are "hanging out on the edge" like you do on Soarin'.
FYI there are a number of videos of the ride on YouTube.

Last edited:

Clamman73

You have to make an effort to look over to each side to see all the other people on the ride and which level you're at....otherwise you're pretty focused on how awesome the ride is you almost have tunnel vision...it's not like when you first go up in Soarin and see that your legs are dangling up high over the bottom.
It might be a bit much for a young person since one part might make a young kid a bit afraid...but if the kid's been on tower of terror then...

JIMINYCR

Although its not exactly going to give her the same feeling as being on the ride and going through it in person, she can go to the youtube ride through videos to get a sense of what she will be looking at. Its not going to replicate the exact sensory feel of being on the banshee and the flight but she can get a feel of the scenes on the screen. Sometimes the ride throughs can help dull the fear they are anticipating.

JohnD

Another thing to keep in mind: If you look left or right, you’ll see other riders and may see other levels above or below you depending on where you are put. So while you are not actually lifted upward, you are contained in a ride vehicle with the floor moving up and down around you.

Disney.Mike

Original Poster
Everest AND Tower of Terror? That's one brave and tall 6 year old lol

TOT is only 40 inches and EE is 44. My youngest made EE at 5 years old. My oldest daughter made RNR at 5, but at 11 now shes 5'9 lol.

Poor middle daughter is the runt of the litter. 2 1/2 years older than my 6 yo but only an inch taller

Stinger

I am not prone to motion sickness . The first time I rode FOP I was seconds away from loosing it on the first drop simulation .
The ride does a awesome job on making you feel like you are flying . Now I ride with no problem but that first time with that first drop simulation was VERY intense .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom