Why are some people snobby and poke fun at people who vacation at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

At it's core....yes, yes it is. But many can't own up to their feelings/thoughts/wants...so then it gets convoluted...hence 25+ pages of explaining/rationalizing/defending.....makes it "magical".
I suppose there are a couple of ways of responding depending on what tone is used when asking. If asked as a genuine interest in what there is about your choice that makes it something to possibly be done by you, then there is no limit to the number of pages. If, however, it is put as a challenge and nasty implication of erroneous decision making, as in.. Why in the hell would you want to go there, are you stupid? then my answer is right on.

JIMINYCR

Ive found those who make snide comments and are snobby about us going to Disney more than once fall into 3 categories.
1. Theyve never been to WDW and have no idea what a vacation to WDW entails. They have no idea of the many ways Disney vacations can entertain and bring joy to adults.
2. Theyve been to WDW but they went totally unprepared with no planning or idea what they were getting into. Their trip was a bad experience because they did it all wrong and cant understand what a good trip to WDW is like. Theyll never consider going again.
or 3. They see themselves as a better class of people. Its beneath them to even consider a vacation thats "for children." If they were to go to WDW it would show them as being immature, non-intellectual and a waste of their time. Adults should do "adult trips".

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I suppose there are a couple of ways of responding depending on what tone is used when asking. If asked as a genuine interest in what there is about your choice that makes it something to possibly be done by you, then there is no limit to the number of pages. If, however, it is put as a challenge and nasty implication of erroneous decision making, as in.. Why in the hell would you want to go there, are you stupid? then my answer is right on.

Agreed. Most take it as a challenge and it gets rather personal.

MickeyCB

Sometimes it is definitely snotty, "I've traveled the world and you should", people who do the "you're going again"?, with an accompanying eyeball roll.
But, I had an interesting conversation with one of my partners at work when he told me, "I hate Disney". After I got done gasping, I found out that several years ago, he and his wife took their children only one time, one day to Disney, ON CHRISTMAS DAY! I asked him why he would do that with no prior Disney trip experience, and he told me he is non-Christian, and made the assumption that most people who celebrate Christmas would be home, celebrating that day! They got to ride only a few rides, fought for space, food and bathrooms, and of course left disgusted. I've never been able to convince him to give it another try.

WDW Monorail

I’ve vactioned in Italy and Ibiza in the last year and a half more times than most Americans visit Europe in their life time. Of course I’ve had many trips to parts of that continent in the previous years of my young life, mostly to Italy. However, every time I go, I feel as if my time and certainly money would be better spent in the United States. Spending 5 figures just paying for myself to join family or friends on these European trips is getting mundane. Yet I will likely take a couple more short trips to London and Mykonos this summer. It’s a consequence of having foreign friends.

People say Disney World is expensive and boring yet I’ll be spending more time in the parks there this year than I ever have previously.

Paper straw fan

People have said to me before “you guys go to Disney a lot” and, yeah. I mean we’re AP holders and it’s an hour away, we can go even to just goof around, eat a dole whip and look at animals or something and make it home by dinner.

I’m sure people think 2 adults w no kids going a lot is odd. Oh well. I get around people talking work 24/7, and to me it sounds like what I’d sound like to them if I was talking Tower of Terror and Epcot.

For us though, it started when we decided to stop getting college and NFL season tickets, and I said we should just do APs instead- just how we choose to spend our entertainment dollars!

To each their own. I’m guilty of thinking it sometimes, but I’ve started to see, just do what you enjoy, and don’t knock others for the same thing, even if you’re not into saltwater fishing, restoring furniture, video games, etc.

Chef Mickey

People that hate on others for trips to Disney usually spend their vacations at Chuck E Cheese birthday parties and the local zoo.

They don’t go anywhere and critique where you go.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Most ppl who have never been to WDW see it as a kiddie-land amusement park with some carny rides. They truly do not have sense of what it really is. I surely didn’t before I first went in the mid 90s.

We probably all have the same problem of not being able to explain to these ppl why we like it so much bc it’s simply unlike anything else. It’s difficult to tell ppl that a theme park celebrates the history, future and joy of humanity...and it’s great! That something like Disney isn’t going for the crude, crass & easy gags, but instead seeks to create something with meaning...with heartfelt, genuine meaning.

It’s also difficult to explain it to you all here even though we all feel the same way, more or less. It just can’t be put into words ( at least not by me at the present.)

I think also there are simply different types of people. We all have troubles in life and all need to get away sometimes, but are you the person who wants genuine, wholesome entertainment where you may learn something at the end, or are you going for something else to escape your troubles?

Paper straw fan

I think also there are simply different types of people. We all have troubles in life and all need to get away sometimes, but are you the person who wants genuine, wholesome entertainment where you may learn something at the end, or are you going for something else to escape your troubles?

Yes, and that’s another thing- we all have things in our lives we need breaks from- and I can’t even look down on those using ‘something else’ because I get it, life is hard for some, and everyone can’t / don’t want to go to a theme park to escape. It’s probably healthier than those other things, but I get needing the escape. My only concern there is the harm to yourself and others your habit may harm. But something like tobacco, I get it.

I used to find cosplay/ LARPing super dorky and for nerds. And while it’s not my thing, I bet it’s a great escape for some. And I’m glad there’s outlets for all sorts of people’s interests now with message boards and the like.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

EPCOT is better than most of Europe.
That might be a bit of a stretch. Fake is never better then real, however, although not necessarily cheaper, it is quite fascinating and unlike here, historic. We just tear things down and rebuild. Europe preserves it's heritage.

Goofyernmost

Why is it so hard to understand that not everyone likes Disney?
I think it is more of a defense thing. We love Disney, but, I understand and am someone that likes other things as well. I think that many adults get really defensive because in some area of our brains we feel like "it's for kids". Of course, it isn't, but, if we come in contact with someone that doesn't understand the "fixation" of Disney, the regeneration of youth that it provides, we get defensive and upset that someone doesn't agree, instead of just shrugging our shoulders and saying to ourselves that we think it is fine.

I loved Disney to the point that I can practically member every second of my first road trip there in 1983. How impressed I was and what an escape is was to be a kid again. However, that said, I still wanted to see more then just that, so I have a hard time understanding how people can go only to Disney, especially the lack of desire to explore the other parts of central Florida. I don't put them down intentionally, I just don't understand it. By the end of the day, I can just realize that I don't have to understand it, I am doing life the way I want to and they have every right to do the same thing.

Nemo14

Maybe it's just my age, but it doesn't bother me at all that some of my friends just don't like Disney. To be honest, there's a lot about present-day Disney that I don't care for but I totally get that for some, it's their Nirvana, and that's fine. And I'm sure they don't all get the thrill I get from the national parks, state parks, and various nature spots that we've discovered over the years, nor could I ever enjoy just hanging out on a beach the way that others do, but it doesn't make me any better or any worse than any of them. Whatever keeps you sane in this crazy world!!

Minnie1976

People either like Disney or they don’t. I have friends who go much more than I do. I have friends who don’t like it. Doesn’t bother me i vacation where I like to go. If people roll there eyes because I am going to Disney again, I don’t care because I am going and having fun. A lot of people don’t do their homework before they go. Disney is no longer a place you can go without research. It is work when planning where to eat or obtaining fast passes even for us who have gone for years. For a newbie it can be over whelming. In some ways the magic is gone.

Lensman

Why is it so hard to understand that not everyone likes Disney?
I think it's more that a lot of folks here, me included, find it hard to understand people who don't understand people who like Disney.

If I give myself time to think about it, I usually either pick one of my areas of fascination with the parks and go into detail about it - like the water bridges or the differences between attractions at WDW and DL. Sometimes I'll go into the history of my going to Disneyland every summer, etc. I'll usually be pretty straight with people on the areas I'm enthusiastic about at the parks and resorts. More recently I can talk to people about all the interesting expansions that I'm looking forward to. The key is that you don't actually have to literally answer people's questions, you can talk about the things that you're excited and want to talk about. It might actually convey to them what they were really trying to unsuccessfully find out by asking terrible questions. Usually it's a conversation, not an interrogation.

Sometimes I'll talk about the detailed touring strategies that I'd do back in the days of the paper fastpass and early entry. It's like telling war stories and people are generally fascinated by the complexity of the planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom